High FSH and DE--new to DE with questions

High FSH and DE--new to DE with questions

MBK
MBK

April 7th, 2011, 6:38 pm #1

Hi,
I am hoping to start my first DE cycle and after years of unsuccessful IVFs, and just scared that this won't work either.
I have a history of very high FSH (usually above 35). But with estrogen (estrace, estinyl, patch), am able to keep FSH down though the estinyl suppressed my e2 too much. I've always been able to produce follicles (1-2) with or without the patch (mostly on my own without estrogen support) and I've tried a couple of natural cycle IVFs.

My concern is, will my body be okay to accept donor eggs, even though I have high FSH? And what happens to my FSH if I happen to successfully get pregnant via DE? What should I do in order to prepare for DE? I am hoping those with high FSH such as myself can offer advice.
I am okay with being on estrogen (estrace or patch of some type) but in the past, my body has shut down due to stims (I have taken Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide). When I tried those, my follies never developed. I actually did better on my own which is why I did a couple of Natural cycle IVFs (no stims) but no success.

I really want at least DE to work for me but am really afraid my body may even reject donor eggs with my high FSH.
Please provide any advice.
Thanks.

April 7th, 2011, 7:08 pm #2

The only time anyone told me my FSH level, which was when I had a check-up re menopausal symptoms, it was sixty-something. I have DE twins now. The only thing I was doing in preparation was taking HRT per my clinic's instructions to keep my body in the habit of building and shedding linings till time to cycle and taking fish oil. Know the other ladies here will have more answers for you! GL! Maggie (in VA)

April 7th, 2011, 7:17 pm #3

Hi,
I am hoping to start my first DE cycle and after years of unsuccessful IVFs, and just scared that this won't work either.
I have a history of very high FSH (usually above 35). But with estrogen (estrace, estinyl, patch), am able to keep FSH down though the estinyl suppressed my e2 too much. I've always been able to produce follicles (1-2) with or without the patch (mostly on my own without estrogen support) and I've tried a couple of natural cycle IVFs.

My concern is, will my body be okay to accept donor eggs, even though I have high FSH? And what happens to my FSH if I happen to successfully get pregnant via DE? What should I do in order to prepare for DE? I am hoping those with high FSH such as myself can offer advice.
I am okay with being on estrogen (estrace or patch of some type) but in the past, my body has shut down due to stims (I have taken Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide). When I tried those, my follies never developed. I actually did better on my own which is why I did a couple of Natural cycle IVFs (no stims) but no success.

I really want at least DE to work for me but am really afraid my body may even reject donor eggs with my high FSH.
Thanks.
I have high fsh and have for a while. You have excellent odds with DE, fsh has nothing to do with DE. FSH just means your body is working harder to make your own eggs. Since you are not working with your own eggs, you do not have to worry about it. It is not a toxic thing to have in your body, and it will all be regulated within the cycle anyway.

Welcome and good luck!

MBK
MBK

April 7th, 2011, 7:18 pm #4

The only time anyone told me my FSH level, which was when I had a check-up re menopausal symptoms, it was sixty-something. I have DE twins now. The only thing I was doing in preparation was taking HRT per my clinic's instructions to keep my body in the habit of building and shedding linings till time to cycle and taking fish oil. Know the other ladies here will have more answers for you! GL! Maggie (in VA)
And congrats to you. Did you do your DE cycle in VA? I am from VA so was curious.

April 7th, 2011, 7:25 pm #5

But the stock market crashed and I ended up going to CRM Zlin in the Czech Republic. Maggie (in VA)

Leigh888
Leigh888

April 7th, 2011, 8:13 pm #6

Hi,

Thanks.
but I have never heard that having high FSH would impact your chances of success with DE.

I actually have the opposite concern. My FSH has only been borderline high, so I have always wondered if there is something else going on that is being missed. With high FSH, you pretty much know that egg quality is most likely the problem. So, DE should work for you. In my case, with my borderline FSH, I can't help but worry that we are blaming my egg quality when something else is wrong.

April 7th, 2011, 8:13 pm #7

Hi,

Thanks.
My FSH at last check was 72. I don't produce follies (unless on hrt) and I need estrogen support (hrt) to have any type of a cycle. I had no issues with doing a DE cycle. (other than other immune issues and allergies) I was supressed each cycle with lupron, timed up with hrt, and given estrace to build a lining, then at retrieval I started progesterone support. So it totally is doable.

I don't know what happens to your FSH after. I will tell you in 3 more months!

All my best to you! Wishing you success!

ks

maybe1
maybe1

April 7th, 2011, 8:26 pm #8

I have high fsh and have for a while. You have excellent odds with DE, fsh has nothing to do with DE. FSH just means your body is working harder to make your own eggs. Since you are not working with your own eggs, you do not have to worry about it. It is not a toxic thing to have in your body, and it will all be regulated within the cycle anyway.

Welcome and good luck!
I'm also with POF and similarly high (actually higher) FSH, and also just ready to move on from trying with my own eggs to DE. From what my RE says and what I've read, I also don't think that high FSH should have any impact on the DE chances; they are supposed to be on average really good for high FSH-ers.

April 7th, 2011, 8:54 pm #9

Hi,

Thanks.
I was also dx with POF and never able to try with my OE. I'm very similar to ks that I don't produce any follicles. I was told that my high FSH (60+) wouldn't impact my DE cycle at all since we weren't retrieving my OE's. I'm doing my first DE cycle right now. I was on BCP's for a couple of months, lupron for almost a week and then will start Del Estrogen. When we did our Mock, I actually responded to Del Estrogen, so we are sticking with that at the moment.

April 7th, 2011, 11:11 pm #10

Hi,

Thanks.
I was suddenly a POF'er at 22 y/o with FSH's over 100. I was in full-blown menopause and didn't produce follies at all (wether on estrogen or not). I had been on HRT for eight years at the time of my DE cycle so I was building/shedding the lining regularily.

I too feared that DE couldn't work. If my body could let me down to the point of meno at 22 y/o, how could it do DE and actually carry a pg. Thankfully it did! My twins are now 2 1/2 y/o from my first DE cycle at 30 y/o.

I was still in menopause after delivery and went back on HRT at 6 months postpartum to help with the symptoms.

GL on your cycle!!!!