Hi, Ladies! New over here, just looking for some advice if you have any! (Embryo Donation

Hi, Ladies! New over here, just looking for some advice if you have any! (Embryo Donation

Sara H. (from the other board)
Sara H. (from the other board)

July 13th, 2011, 8:12 pm #1

Hi!

I am a Cooper Clinic, NJ patient and have very high FSH. (Has been as high as 50's, ggrrr!)My DH and I have decided to get on the donor embryo list at Cooper. We have already signed up. Does anyone have any experience with this, not egg but embryo donation? Are there any questions or things I should look for?

About me: We are still doing some monitored cycles, just to see, though in the past and with a different clinic I have had failed IUI and IVF and I have never had a BFP. I am 37 and we having been TTC for 3 years. All other tests, except for FSH, are good and clear.

Any info on tests, what to look for in paperwork profiles, red flags, what as worked for you... any info at all would be helpful!

Thank you, Ladies!

LizLA
LizLA

July 13th, 2011, 9:33 pm #2

We donated through Miracles Waiting, it was great experience.

July 13th, 2011, 9:44 pm #3

Hi!

I am a Cooper Clinic, NJ patient and have very high FSH. (Has been as high as 50's, ggrrr!)My DH and I have decided to get on the donor embryo list at Cooper. We have already signed up. Does anyone have any experience with this, not egg but embryo donation? Are there any questions or things I should look for?

About me: We are still doing some monitored cycles, just to see, though in the past and with a different clinic I have had failed IUI and IVF and I have never had a BFP. I am 37 and we having been TTC for 3 years. All other tests, except for FSH, are good and clear.

Any info on tests, what to look for in paperwork profiles, red flags, what as worked for you... any info at all would be helpful!

Thank you, Ladies!
What I loved about the profile (ok, there were many things I loved but this was huge) - every one of three transfers had been successful - the two frozen cycles produced twins. I loved the donating family father's personality - it shined through clearly. I loved his and the egg donor's scholastic and professional achievements. A red flag for me - it was the ONLY profile I received with no pictures. And the embies were 13.4 years old and had been frozen twice. I was nervous. But I took the plunge anyway (and yes, my little ones are adorable). I did also overlook a diagnosis of Parkinson's in the egg donor's father, which increases my children's odds from 1:100 to 1:40 of developing it later in life. It would have been different if I'd been choosing a gamete provider - I would not have selected a donor with these increased odds - but I felt like the embies deserved a chance to get to be people, so accepted the risk.

Do you get any edge for being current patients on the list? If not, I'd get on at least 5-6 lists around the country. There's actually a clinic here in Hurst who when I spoke to them had no wait time and a low cost ($3400).

The changes I made that I think made the difference in the final cycle were: adding in lovenox, correcting my vitamin D deficiency, and taking high EPA fish oil to modulate immune response. I'd had a number of losses and while I wodner if I might have reached success sooner with these additions to my cycle, am glad I did not.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by Blessed_Thistle on July 13th, 2011, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skye
Skye

July 14th, 2011, 12:14 am #4

Hi!

Thank you, Ladies!
I don't have any experience with Cooper, but I did do donor embryo at a clinic in Reno late last year and am currently 34 weeks pregnant. It was a wonderful option for us.

I do know some ladies from another forum who have had success with donor embryo at Cooper. I think the wait times can vary depending on how selective one is with the embryos. As someone else already mentioned, you could consider getting on wait list with a few different clinics to widen your choices and possibly shorten the wait.

Some of the things we looked at when choosing our embryos:
-age of donor female (we selected a batch created via a young egg donor)
-success history from the same batch (at least two pregnancies that we know of, well now three)
-year frozen and method used
-quality of embryos and day frozen (ours were frozen at day 3 and were "good quality")
-health history of donors

We were not able to see pictures but did try to generally match coloring (lighter hair/skin). We did not get a whole lot of info about the male donor at all, but had a little more info for the egg donor. It wasn't the perfect match personality wise or academically, but we were mainly looking at health info and chances for success.

Things I would ask a clinic would be:
-testing required for recipients (medical and psychological?
-do you need to pay for any testing of the donors?
-how the legal aspects are handled?
-will you be able to reserve any leftover embryos for a try at future sibling if you are successful?

Good luck in your journey!

Skye

Anna
Anna

July 14th, 2011, 12:16 am #5

Hi!

Thank you, Ladies!
We're going to be doing embryo. There are only a few clinics in the US that have active donor embryo programs. Some other clinics have programs just for their own failed IVF patients. It's easy to get on the waitlists throughout the country. The clinics usually require an initial consult which can be done by phone. They have a list of tests they require which are the same as those required if you're doing IVF so you're probably up to date.

Prices in the US run from about $4K to $6K without meds. Some clinics require psychological counseling. The clinic in NM told me that I would have to see their counselor even though I don't live there. They're also the most expensive so I didn't get on their list.

The clinic in Reno has embryos available now. FASA in Southern CA has a waitlist of about 4 to 6 months. California Conceptions isn't really donated embryos. They use donors to create frozen embryos for shared cycles.

We decided to do donor embryo overseas and I'm currently planning a trip to Spain in September. The biggest programs are in the Czech Republic, Spain and Greece. All of the clinics have no wait for embryos. We choose Spain because in Spain they are truly donated embryos. In the CR and Greece they are double donor embryos created using the using the eggs of backup donors. It strikes me being like embryo manufacturing or something like that.

We choose to go overseas for two main reasons. First, there is no wait. Second, when you go overseas they choose the embryos for you. You send the clinic a picture and information about your background and they choose embryos from "parents" who are similar to you. I got one of the embryo lists of available embryos and it made me a little bit uncomfortable. I don't want to choose.

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

July 14th, 2011, 2:58 am #6

$4500 vs $6200 if I'd stayed on the waiting list at GIVF...another clinic I checked, it was around $8000 (somewhere up north)....Dr Sweet can be $$$, relatively speaking. Wait was about 4 months at the time. I did visit with their counselor - it was maybe $200 or so. They only had a few (4?) nonhispanic caucasian donors at the time I got to the top of the list but it did not matter once I saw MY donors. I knew they were the right decision.

July 14th, 2011, 5:12 am #7

Yes I am currently awaiting the results of the latest donation list. I am #26 on the list and there were only 14 sets of embryos to choose from this time around. I did get some embryos last year but turned them back in when the tests they ordered showed I have 2 mutations of MTHFR and had 2 polops that had to be removed from my uterus. (my father also had a a bout with cancer at that time)I previously did 2 donor embryo cycles at my local clinic that both resulted with BFP but we sadly lost them at 14 and 8 weeks. I believe that the problems that the tests Cooper ordered revealed caused us to lose them and after much soul searching I have wiped away my tears, put on my big girl panties and decided that I will never be happy unless we try again armed with our new information. Best of luck to you and if I can possibly help you by answering any questions please feel free to ask. I have had 5 IUI and 4 Failed IVF before the donor embryos and feel it is our best chance for success.

Sara H
Sara H

July 15th, 2011, 10:28 pm #8

Hi!

Thank you, Ladies!
For your time and advice! There is great information here that my husband and I can go over, thank you! It is very helpful!

Good luck to all of you on your paths as well!

Again, thank you for the information!!!!!!

Sara H.