Hi Julie, sent you a question below (thread 13)

November 9th, 2010, 12:39 pm #1

November 9th, 2010, 1:16 pm #2

I travel in from Ontario, Canada to cycle with SG and it was really easy. I've only been there 2 times. Once for the initial consult and mock embryo transfer (would have had hsg but was having my tubes removed so it was unnecessary). And the second time was for my transfer (fresh). All of my monitoring for the mock cycle and the cycle was done with my local clinic. My beta (preg test) was run by my local clinic. They would just fax and e-mail all the info to my nurse at SG.

And it is 6 fresh cycles and any and all FET's included. If you get bumped (not enough eggs) it doesn't count as a try. If you drop your lining it doesn't count as one of your tries. All frozens must be used prior to starting a new fresh cycle. If you miscarry (heaven forbid) you are right back into the program. For my DH and I it really was the safest thing we could do with our money.

Our first cycle (not SG) was supposed of cost $21,000 and by the end we spent over $30,000 for 4 okay embryos and no explanation for failure.

If you fail on your Fresh, most can go right away the next month for their FET's. However with travel and such I think I would have waited a month. Keep in mind (if you are looking at the shared) that they have to sync up more than 2 woman. I was in the 1:3 program and it took 2 1/2 months from the time our donor was selected. I was the 3rd recipient, but one other couple ended up out of the cycle so only 2 of us recieved eggs. And the quality was awesome. On day 5 we still had 5 embryos out of 5 eggs. We transferred 2 and froze 1.

Please if you do have any other questions feel free to ask away on this board. There are at least 3 or 4 of us who have used SG with success. Oh and one other item you asked...I think... I always got a call back right away. If it wasn't my nurse it was another nurse who could answer my question. The only one I sometimes had trouble reaching was the Donor Co-ordinator and again I was looking in the summer when everyone was taking vacations!

All my very best to you! I really hope I haven't overloaded you!

ks

November 9th, 2010, 2:00 pm #3

Wanted to send you a prior post on SG that may be of assistance. If you search Shady Grove on this board by date there are many threads, but I thought this one was a good one. Also, if you go on their website and view their webinar that may be helpful as well. They may be able to recruit the certain ethnic background you are looking for. They can also give you a temporary access to view donors. Do keep in mind the biggest complaint with all of us is that the donor pool is not always as good as we would like, but they are constantly adding new donors.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/57451/th ... da+long---

Good luck with your decision, I cycled out of town, but I am originally from that area so my family is there. Still, b/c they are a large clinic and really know what they are doing.

November 9th, 2010, 3:37 pm #4

I think the one thing I will clarify is that I am local -- I travelled from DC to FL when I was still cycling there at a clinic in FL but once we switched to SG I no longer had to travel. Interestingly, although I am local I think I actually saw an RE only in 1 additional instance vs. DC and KS. An RE was there for 1 of my lining checks but usually it was just a technician. I think SG has the highest numbers of IVF cycles in the country each year so they certainly have a system. They are very good at telling you exactly what you need to do -- they send things in writing. Furthermore, just as Ks said, if your nurse is not around there is somebody else that can answer your question. For me, once I got a donor, I no longer talked to the Donor Coordinator -- I think I bugged them so much that they finally just gave me a nurse early. Once I got assigned a nurse, she was really always there to help -- I had both email and phone access which was great vs. my old clinic where I did not have an assigned nurse and did not have email access.

DC and KS experience shows how they are soooo used to out of country and out of town. There are hotels right near the main SG office and you are not too far from the Metro. My office is actually only 1-2 miles from the main SG office which made my monitoring easy (but there are about 7-8 other SG locations in the DC area where I could have been monitored). Hope this helps -- and I think DC posted a great thread on SG. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

November 10th, 2010, 9:24 pm #5

I travel in from Ontario, Canada to cycle with SG and it was really easy. I've only been there 2 times. Once for the initial consult and mock embryo transfer (would have had hsg but was having my tubes removed so it was unnecessary). And the second time was for my transfer (fresh). All of my monitoring for the mock cycle and the cycle was done with my local clinic. My beta (preg test) was run by my local clinic. They would just fax and e-mail all the info to my nurse at SG.

And it is 6 fresh cycles and any and all FET's included. If you get bumped (not enough eggs) it doesn't count as a try. If you drop your lining it doesn't count as one of your tries. All frozens must be used prior to starting a new fresh cycle. If you miscarry (heaven forbid) you are right back into the program. For my DH and I it really was the safest thing we could do with our money.

Our first cycle (not SG) was supposed of cost $21,000 and by the end we spent over $30,000 for 4 okay embryos and no explanation for failure.

If you fail on your Fresh, most can go right away the next month for their FET's. However with travel and such I think I would have waited a month. Keep in mind (if you are looking at the shared) that they have to sync up more than 2 woman. I was in the 1:3 program and it took 2 1/2 months from the time our donor was selected. I was the 3rd recipient, but one other couple ended up out of the cycle so only 2 of us recieved eggs. And the quality was awesome. On day 5 we still had 5 embryos out of 5 eggs. We transferred 2 and froze 1.

Please if you do have any other questions feel free to ask away on this board. There are at least 3 or 4 of us who have used SG with success. Oh and one other item you asked...I think... I always got a call back right away. If it wasn't my nurse it was another nurse who could answer my question. The only one I sometimes had trouble reaching was the Donor Co-ordinator and again I was looking in the summer when everyone was taking vacations!

All my very best to you! I really hope I haven't overloaded you!

ks
and no, it wasn't too much information. That was precisely the information for which I was looking. I know no one can tell anyone what is the right decision for another person, but as we all can see pretty clearly, all solutions to growing a family in light of infertility is a costly proposition. It just is so scary to try to figure out in which basket you should put your eggs (no pun intended) knowing that every basket comes at such a high cost emotionally, financially, and of course when it comes to time. Because of the varying options and the pros and cons of each, it is almost brings me to a place of inaction. I feel like I don't want to make the WRONG decision. If I go with the clinic where we started our cycle, then stopped, I don't have a good pool of donors from my ethnic group. And the ones that are there have so many family medical history issues that it seems if I chose one who is already in the pool, that it would be a kind of selfish decision. Like, oh, I want a child at whatever cost, it doesn't matter that there is a lot of breast cancer or early age fatal heart attacks in their history. I know that some things are environmental but I just believe that I would not be able to feel good if I felt the child would be a greater risk of getting that condition. And yes, I know that there are no assurances that a child that my husband and I had would not have health complications, but when you are able to see some of those potential complications prior to even embarking on the baby journey, it feels different.

As for SG, I did contact them and their process sounds wonderful, as did everyone with whom I spoke on the phone . I LOVE the thought of having so many opportunities to try with numerous cycles. But with the potential for multiple trips (if our procedure didn't take the first time :0) we would have to look again at cost and time (although cost and time don't even seem significant if at the end we would definitely have a baby or definitely get all of our money back. I spoke to the hubby about it, and we just need to make a decision and go in a direction that has the least amount of questions marks (I guess).

I know I sound confused, but this is a lot to think about (as if you don't know that as well).

You said that you had success at SG. How many cycles did you have to complete before your successful cycle?

November 10th, 2010, 10:32 pm #6

Wanted to send you a prior post on SG that may be of assistance. If you search Shady Grove on this board by date there are many threads, but I thought this one was a good one. Also, if you go on their website and view their webinar that may be helpful as well. They may be able to recruit the certain ethnic background you are looking for. They can also give you a temporary access to view donors. Do keep in mind the biggest complaint with all of us is that the donor pool is not always as good as we would like, but they are constantly adding new donors.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/57451/th ... da+long---

Good luck with your decision, I cycled out of town, but I am originally from that area so my family is there. Still, b/c they are a large clinic and really know what they are doing.
Just read that thread and it was incredibly helpful. Next stop...webinar. Believe it or not, for my ethnic makeup, the numbers are higher than the clinic where we are right now. The only problem is that I don't know if that ethnic makeup also updates frequently or if those included are the only ones available typically. I am going to make another call tomorrow to ask a few more questions regarding process. One of the questions is if you are doing a 1:3 split, do the 3 recipients split the donor's medication costs? That's a plus. When it is time to do the other 5 fresh cycles (of course hoping it wouldn't come to that for anyone) does your same donor work with you on another fresh cycle or do you have to go with another donor? I was wondering what donor would go through so many fresh cycles. Also since the other 2 recipients might not have to do another cycle (if they were successful the first time around) do you have to wait for someone else to select the donor in order to move forward with your additional fresh cycle? I know I am getting technical and splitting hairs, but I am a big one for questions, and until I can understand something for myself, I just have trouble getting comfortable with it.

November 10th, 2010, 10:40 pm #7

I think the one thing I will clarify is that I am local -- I travelled from DC to FL when I was still cycling there at a clinic in FL but once we switched to SG I no longer had to travel. Interestingly, although I am local I think I actually saw an RE only in 1 additional instance vs. DC and KS. An RE was there for 1 of my lining checks but usually it was just a technician. I think SG has the highest numbers of IVF cycles in the country each year so they certainly have a system. They are very good at telling you exactly what you need to do -- they send things in writing. Furthermore, just as Ks said, if your nurse is not around there is somebody else that can answer your question. For me, once I got a donor, I no longer talked to the Donor Coordinator -- I think I bugged them so much that they finally just gave me a nurse early. Once I got assigned a nurse, she was really always there to help -- I had both email and phone access which was great vs. my old clinic where I did not have an assigned nurse and did not have email access.

DC and KS experience shows how they are soooo used to out of country and out of town. There are hotels right near the main SG office and you are not too far from the Metro. My office is actually only 1-2 miles from the main SG office which made my monitoring easy (but there are about 7-8 other SG locations in the DC area where I could have been monitored). Hope this helps -- and I think DC posted a great thread on SG. Let us know if you have any additional questions.
for your response. I have so many questions, but need to look at the webinar on line and call SG one more time to answer a couple of questions that I have. The 3:1 option at SG is 10K (not including meds and travel) more than the 1:1 shared success program at the clinic where I am working right now. The guarantee at this clinic, however is 60% refund and you get 1 fresh cycle and unlimited FETs. I know people get pregnant with FETs but I don't know the statistics so I'm not sure that this is a great plan. The clinic does offer a 6 fresh and unlimited frozen program for 30K. Again the return on the investment is just 60% so we would really not have a lot to work with to move on to another family growth option. So much to think about.