hi from me, and thanks.....

hi from me, and thanks.....

February 7th, 2012, 6:02 pm #1

Haven't posted much, but back in November I was struggling with my gyn.(who I had been seeing 20 yrs) negative attitude toward me getting pregnant (44yo) so with the encouragement I got here I found a new gyn.(took me this long to get an appt. to see her!) and WOW what a total turnaround....I asked her point blank "am I healthy enough to have a baby?"....I kinda sprung it on her, and she said,(after getting a big smile on her face) Yes, you are!...she did say that she had to tell me of the increased risk at my age, but she felt like I should do just fine. I wanted to leap off that table!

She also seemed to think it was important that my mom had me in her late 40s...(not sure if thats imp., and I don't want that to give me a false sense of security) but she thought it was a good sign.

I'm also so happy thinking she will be my ob....she had one of those personalities like a best friend or sister...she was so positive and upbeat... very unlike my other doc....if I hadn't asked you guys I would still be with the old gyn.(uggh) who probably would have talked me out of it.

Just wanted to say thankyou to everyone. Even though I've got a long way to go, I'm gonna enjoy being on a pink cloud after that doc. visit for a little while:)

much love,
bg

February 7th, 2012, 6:39 pm #2

I'm glad you found a supportive OB/GYN! You know, if you're using DE, your mom's late-life fertility probably isn't important to your conception per se, but that she did well enough to have you probably is suggestive of your chances. Keep the faith, and let us know how it all goes! Maggie (in VA)

February 7th, 2012, 7:06 pm #3

Haven't posted much, but back in November I was struggling with my gyn.(who I had been seeing 20 yrs) negative attitude toward me getting pregnant (44yo) so with the encouragement I got here I found a new gyn.(took me this long to get an appt. to see her!) and WOW what a total turnaround....I asked her point blank "am I healthy enough to have a baby?"....I kinda sprung it on her, and she said,(after getting a big smile on her face) Yes, you are!...she did say that she had to tell me of the increased risk at my age, but she felt like I should do just fine. I wanted to leap off that table!

She also seemed to think it was important that my mom had me in her late 40s...(not sure if thats imp., and I don't want that to give me a false sense of security) but she thought it was a good sign.

I'm also so happy thinking she will be my ob....she had one of those personalities like a best friend or sister...she was so positive and upbeat... very unlike my other doc....if I hadn't asked you guys I would still be with the old gyn.(uggh) who probably would have talked me out of it.

Just wanted to say thankyou to everyone. Even though I've got a long way to go, I'm gonna enjoy being on a pink cloud after that doc. visit for a little while:)

much love,
bg
I'm so glad you found a new doctor! Good luck to you!

February 7th, 2012, 7:28 pm #4

I'm glad you found a supportive OB/GYN! You know, if you're using DE, your mom's late-life fertility probably isn't important to your conception per se, but that she did well enough to have you probably is suggestive of your chances. Keep the faith, and let us know how it all goes! Maggie (in VA)
I'm still struggling with going straight to DE. I'm having to wait a while for my first RE appt. I'm thinking about at least trying 1 or 2 IUI w/DS...then going to DE. This has been a tough decision, but I'm thinking if I try the IUI first, then I'll feel at peace about DE (which I already do feel peace about, but I think I just want to try w/OE)

My cycles have lengthened from 21 days to 25 days for the last 4 months and there is much more flow (sorry tmi) taking my temps. my chart looks better. and I've started having cm again. Hoping by the time of my RE appt. I can get a good picture of my chances. Also, I had quit having cramps w/my cycles and now I have that heavy, crampy feeling again that I used to have when I was younger (which I've read is a good sign)

Only thing is, this fertility diet/protocal is hard as hell! Giving up coffee/cokes alone liked to did me in, and Krispy Kreme doughnuts are calling my name.... but I'll do anything for a little sweet babe.

Thanks for listening
best to you!
bg

February 7th, 2012, 7:29 pm #5

I'm so glad you found a new doctor! Good luck to you!
Best to you!
bg

February 7th, 2012, 9:08 pm #6

I'm still struggling with going straight to DE. I'm having to wait a while for my first RE appt. I'm thinking about at least trying 1 or 2 IUI w/DS...then going to DE. This has been a tough decision, but I'm thinking if I try the IUI first, then I'll feel at peace about DE (which I already do feel peace about, but I think I just want to try w/OE)

My cycles have lengthened from 21 days to 25 days for the last 4 months and there is much more flow (sorry tmi) taking my temps. my chart looks better. and I've started having cm again. Hoping by the time of my RE appt. I can get a good picture of my chances. Also, I had quit having cramps w/my cycles and now I have that heavy, crampy feeling again that I used to have when I was younger (which I've read is a good sign)

Only thing is, this fertility diet/protocal is hard as hell! Giving up coffee/cokes alone liked to did me in, and Krispy Kreme doughnuts are calling my name.... but I'll do anything for a little sweet babe.

Thanks for listening
best to you!
bg
Yeah, if you can afford it, you could try doing an IUI or two first. A woman in my ttc group who got pg at 45 w/IUI said, and I don't know whether it's true, that a woman's chances at 45 were the same w/IUI or OE IVF (I'm presuming in the absence of other issues). But you do risk putting yourself through a m/c more so than a younger woman. I was over 45 when I started and was kind of glad the decision was taken out of my hands (as most clinics cut off OE at 45). I tried to follow some of the fert diet in preparation for my cycle, even though I was doing DE, and it is really hard. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

February 7th, 2012, 11:35 pm #7

about the 45yo lady & pretty amazing. Thanks for sharing that.

One thing is I'm feeling overwhelmed about the finances. I'm considering RBA in Atlanta however, their guaranttee is 30K. I guess it seems so chancey to not have the guarantee but maybe I'm thinking wrong....I just think, what if I do this and with 2x you're close to 30K and nothing to show. I'm just feeling very confused about the finances of it and I hate that....wish it weren't an issue, but since I'm not independently wealthy it is.

Can I ask What is your opinion of the guarantee? Is that a waste of money or not? I guess I'm rather clueless about what's reasonable & what's not in the DE world.

I've looked at lots of options, but it seems the more I look, the more confusing it gets....so for right now, I'm just starting out with my local RE and see where I'm at (re: hormones) and go from there....It would be nice if there were a tour guide to help one through this process.
Thanks,
best to you
bg

February 8th, 2012, 12:17 am #8

Glad you found an OB you really like.

I did a guarantee cycle. We had already spent lots on OE cycles so there is no way I wanted to spend money on a DE cycle and not have a guarantee of a take home baby or a refund.

How many fresh cycles do you get for $30,000? Does that include donor compensation, donor screening, any administrative fees? My guess is you will also have to pay for meds for you and the donor in addition to the $30,000. You may also have to pay for additional tests on yourself and a mock cycle. Chances are you will get pregnant on the first cycle so you will have paid more than necessary. But don't count on it working the first or even second fresh cycle. The peace of mind in knowing that you will get a refund is huge and I think well worth it if you can afford to pay for a guaranteed plan.

In the meantime good luck with the IUI's. You could get lucky.

February 8th, 2012, 1:44 am #9

thanks for sharing your experience about the guarantee.....its exactly what you said, the peace of mind is very imp....I think the 30K covers everything, but I definitely need to check that out.
How are you?? Are you getting close to your due date? I hope everything goes great & I will say a prayer for you & your babe.
thanks for the good thoughts & best to you!
bg

February 8th, 2012, 3:53 am #10

I usually hang out on the pink board but poke around over here too. I got a baby boy on board busy kicking. He is due in six weeks. Wishing you luck!