help with understanding embryo development stages

help with understanding embryo development stages

April 22nd, 2011, 9:41 pm #1

Hi Everyone

You all speak so confidently about the various stages of embryo development, blastocysts (compacting, hatching, expanded), morula's etc. I'm afraid I don't fully understand the development process at all. Is there a chart somewhere that explains what stage the embryo should be at each day and/or defines the various terms used describe the various stages. Alternatively, would anyone like to give me a brief outline of the stages and terms I should understand for my DE cycle scheduled in May?

As background, I am told my clinic aims for a 5 day transfer. However they say that sometimes they will do a day 3 transfer where they believe they can already identify the best two embryo's by day 3. By reference they say that only about 30% of embryo's reach the blastocyst stage (which I assume is day 5). They will only freeze grade 1 and 2 embryo's. I worry that if its a day 3 transfer that it will indicate a poor quality crop, which will mean a BFN as well as nothing to freeze.

Any and all guidance here will be greatly appreciated.

E&H
E&H

April 22nd, 2011, 11:37 pm #2

When I cycled I was adamant I wanted to go to day 5. I had 11 good embryos on day 3 and the embryologist froze 8. I was really worried that the other 3 wouldn't make it to blast but she assured me that she knew they would and they did.

April 23rd, 2011, 1:09 pm #3

Hi Everyone

You all speak so confidently about the various stages of embryo development, blastocysts (compacting, hatching, expanded), morula's etc. I'm afraid I don't fully understand the development process at all. Is there a chart somewhere that explains what stage the embryo should be at each day and/or defines the various terms used describe the various stages. Alternatively, would anyone like to give me a brief outline of the stages and terms I should understand for my DE cycle scheduled in May?

As background, I am told my clinic aims for a 5 day transfer. However they say that sometimes they will do a day 3 transfer where they believe they can already identify the best two embryo's by day 3. By reference they say that only about 30% of embryo's reach the blastocyst stage (which I assume is day 5). They will only freeze grade 1 and 2 embryo's. I worry that if its a day 3 transfer that it will indicate a poor quality crop, which will mean a BFN as well as nothing to freeze.

http://www.ivf.net/ivf/embryo-development-o2591.html

http://www.ivf.com/blastocyst.html

http://www.ivfauthority.com/2011/03/ivf ... nd_08.html

You obviously need enough (more than 6) to make blastocyst transfer worthwhile. I had twins via a transfer of 2 x day 3 frozen donor embryos, so day 3 is not intrinsically a worse option.

It is up to the embryologist and clinic to assess whether taking embryos to blastocyst is right for you. This will depend on how many embryos you have. If you only have 4 on day 3, it would be pretty easy to visually grad the 2/3 best for transfer. Taking to blast may risk those four and leave you with none to transfer. However, if you have 12 embies, then blast is a good way to weed out the front runners who make it to blast.

Also, the clinic need to be experts at blastocyst cultivation, otherwise they risk the embryos.

Basically day 3 or 5 transfers of donor eggs both result in high success rates. Don't forget these are young women's eggs, so day 3 is perfectly good for high chance of pregnancy IMHO.

What are your clinic's success rates for day 3 vs day 5 transfers with DE??

They can still only guess at actual chromosomal normality with both day 3 and 5 transfer, so the embies may look good but still be abnormal (or vice versa).

Best,
Daisy
x
Last edited by loochieuk on April 23rd, 2011, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 23rd, 2011, 5:04 pm #4

Hi Everyone

Now this is 3year old info but this is how I remember it was explained to me. If you have enough (I think it was 7 or more?) on day three that would go to day five. If not, they would put the best in on day three. There was a higher success rate if you made it to day 5 so that was optimal, but there are embroys which will be successful on day 3 (as the womb is a better environment for them then the lab) that may not make it to day 5. So if you had less then 6 your odds were best by putting the best in on day 3.

Hope that helps. It made sense to me...
Of course I had a friend who did IVF with her OE, put in 2 very poor quality on day 3 and had 2 very perfect babies...