Have you ever had to...Need a quick solution

Have you ever had to...Need a quick solution

June 26th, 2011, 12:41 pm #1

We will be traveling, by car, at the time that I am scheduled to get my delestrogen injection. Since it is such a hassle to load the needles when you are not at home (where you can clean your surfaces and adequately wash you hands), has anyone ever loaded their syringes with meds and recapped them, then just injected the meds at your scheduled time?

It seems that it would be no difference transporting the meds in the syringe than inside the vial in which it came. And since delestrogen doesn't have to be refrigerated, it just doesn't seem like a big deal, but maybe I'm wrong. Does it make any difference? Just hoping to avoid a step in the car, and make the injection much easier.

anon
anon

June 26th, 2011, 12:43 pm #2

there may be leakage and what happens if it dispenses when the car or you move. Just bring alcohol preps with you for keeping it all clean.

Bharani
Bharani

June 26th, 2011, 12:59 pm #3

We will be traveling, by car, at the time that I am scheduled to get my delestrogen injection. Since it is such a hassle to load the needles when you are not at home (where you can clean your surfaces and adequately wash you hands), has anyone ever loaded their syringes with meds and recapped them, then just injected the meds at your scheduled time?

It seems that it would be no difference transporting the meds in the syringe than inside the vial in which it came. And since delestrogen doesn't have to be refrigerated, it just doesn't seem like a big deal, but maybe I'm wrong. Does it make any difference? Just hoping to avoid a step in the car, and make the injection much easier.
take hand towel, paper towel and those alcohol prep things. When is your time to inject stop at those good hotel and use their washroom. There are several hotel in between big cities. I usually stop by those hotel to use their washroom. Your idea is not that bad, but to put your mind in ease. Get your big space to get your shot.
Good luck Veesha.

Anon7
Anon7

June 26th, 2011, 1:51 pm #4

I doubt it's a big deal. For my first OE cycle last summer, the nurse loaded the syringe of menopur for me to give myself the next day. This was during my teaching visit. I put it in the refrigerator and pulled it out the next night and did it. I doubt it's that big of a deal for a shot or two, but others may disagree and I am surely no expert! Although I wouldn't do it unless the car was still/stopped.

June 26th, 2011, 1:51 pm #5

I think this is a good question. I would ask the nurses at SG.

Dee.S
Dee.S

June 26th, 2011, 3:30 pm #6

I would bring a clean towel or pillow case to lay on a plastic bag and load the syringes after I washed and preped. Where there is a will there is a way. I would not pre-load them.

Skye
Skye

June 26th, 2011, 3:36 pm #7

When I was traveling to cycle, I was timed to do a shot on the plane. There was no way that I wanted to deal with loading the needle in that circumstance, so I preloaded the syringe. Just be sure to have enough medication on hand in case the syringe leaks and double check that you have the full amount in there before you inject.

June 26th, 2011, 4:40 pm #8

the time of day is not crucial, since it stays in your system for so long. I'd just do it when you get to your destination and not worry about trying to inject in a car. I don't think my clinic even gives a scheduled time for the delestrogen (just after blood draw if having b/w done that day). I'd just do it before or after car trip. Best,
Kenny

June 26th, 2011, 4:45 pm #9

and was told it's totally fine, it will not do anything to the estrogen/progesterone. I'd be more concerned you could accidentally push the plunger and not have it when you need it, or hurt yourself in the car with the needle. I'd just do it before or after, in the case of delestrogen. Progesterone is a bit more time sensitive, and I'd pull the car over and do that, if it's going to be more than a few hours off from schedule. GL! Best,
Kenny

Kim
Kim

June 26th, 2011, 11:50 pm #10

Bring some extra needles in case you drop one and alcohol wipes which u need anyway....You could always change needle w/out contaminating the meds. Also store them in a small box so they won't get knocked and lose meds....good luck!