Has anyone done an unmedicated FET?

Has anyone done an unmedicated FET?

smrc
smrc

February 1st, 2012, 5:09 am #1

just wondering the pros and cons of doing this. This is what I have tentatively scheduled for roughly 6-7 weeks time.

Given my recent chem pg where I had a big dip in my p4 levels as my beta level dropped, I'm nervous about moving ahead unmedicated.

TIA

smrc
smrc

February 1st, 2012, 5:10 am #2

sorry for the double post! n/t

February 1st, 2012, 5:37 am #3

just wondering the pros and cons of doing this. This is what I have tentatively scheduled for roughly 6-7 weeks time.

Given my recent chem pg where I had a big dip in my p4 levels as my beta level dropped, I'm nervous about moving ahead unmedicated.

TIA
I am on tons of e2 and p4 meds right now on a DE fresh cycle and I would not want to jeopardize or waste a FET without giving myself all the meds to support the pg. I think of the e2 as my right ovary and the p4 as my left ovary as these meds are the only way to support my pg until my placenta kicks in.

HTH,

FB

smrc
smrc

February 1st, 2012, 5:43 am #4

thanks for your post - it would be unmedicated going in - so no suppression or e2 beforehand - just transfer after I ovulate on my own. I can't imagine I could just rely on the p4 from my own corpus luteum? seems like I need more info in any case about the "after" part - I could be misinformed/have it wrong.

i think I'll panic without p4 or e2 support after transfer.

hoping your pregnancy continues well for you - have been keeping my fingers crossed for you.

SMRC

E&H
E&H

February 1st, 2012, 10:46 am #5

TIA
the success rates are supposed to be the same as a medicated cycle. You need very close ultrasound monitoring from about day 10 onwards, they look at your lead follicle and the lining and sometimes just trigger the follicle when its big enough and lining is good, otherwise the transfer is 3 or 5 days after you ovulate. When we do an unmedicated FET we still use progesterone support in the form of suppositories. Good luck.

samys
samys

February 1st, 2012, 1:52 pm #6

TIA
Hello. For our donor cycle that worked, our fresh transfer resulted in a 2nd trimester loss(due to a uterine infection). We did a natural FET 3 months later to get our son. A year after his birth I did a natural FET that resulted in a BFN. The next month I did a natural FET that resulted in my current pregnancy (27 weeks). So the natural FETs have worked very well for me.

There is more work up front (at least at my clinic) because they track ovulation with serial ultrasounds, and time transfer accordingly. I ovulate on Day 14 exactly, so I can predict it a bit and skip some early ultrasounds, much to the annoyance of my clinic .

I chose a natural FET, as I tend to build a very, very thick lining on a medicated cycle. I had some bleeding with my fresh transfer, that ultimately resulted in infection and loss (this is a very rare outcome. It was also a twin pregnancy which can have a bit more bleeding). I do build a good lining on a natural cycle. Also, there is the upside of no injections, and really no need for supplemental progesterone (although I do use suppositories in the first trimester). Also, I could easily do back to back cycles.

The natural FETs are a bit more work up front, but if you have very regular cycles it's probably not THAT much more work. Its worked well for me. I know that not many people in my clinic do natural FETs, and medicated FETs are still the norm. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 1st, 2012, 3:07 pm #7

TIA
Ariadne did natural FET, no meds n/t

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

February 1st, 2012, 3:51 pm #8

TIA
I did an unmedicated or natural FET. The truth is...it's not really completely unmedicated...at least in my case...I still had to do a trigger shot and I was given estrogen and progesterone in the luteaul phase. It was the easiest thing I ever did in terms of ART. You simply start with your period. You go in for monitoring to see when you are close to ovulating. In my case...I was told to trigger when I was about to ovulate. My Dr. spoke about an "impantation window" when the transfer had to be done which is why you need to trigger. Not sure if all programs do this. They still give you luteal support so I'm sure you do not have to worry about being low on progesterone. Maybe ask Cornell to up the dosage.

I think a FET is the way to go if you can...the less meds in your system..the better.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

February 1st, 2012, 4:12 pm #9

I am on tons of e2 and p4 meds right now on a DE fresh cycle and I would not want to jeopardize or waste a FET without giving myself all the meds to support the pg. I think of the e2 as my right ovary and the p4 as my left ovary as these meds are the only way to support my pg until my placenta kicks in.

HTH,

FB
I just stated the same in my post below...based upon posting with several women when I did my FET...the overwhelming majority were on supps post transfer. I was on estrogen and progesterone post transfer. I'm sure that some do natural FET's without any meds at all..but I do not think that is the norm. When people speak of a natural of unmedicated FET...they mean no BCP's,estrogen etc leading up to the transfer. I was told that unmedicated FET's are only recommended for people that have a fairly predictable cycles and ovulate on their own still.

Ariadne
Ariadne

February 2nd, 2012, 1:00 am #10

Ariadne did natural FET, no meds n/t
successfully. No trigger shot like Dee did, but post ET e2/p4 supp., as others mentioned. That was it. I loved doing it that way compared to a fully medicated FET.