Hard decision made

Hard decision made

November 8th, 2014, 12:54 am #1

Long time since I have posted. Kids are great and have a perfect attitude for being 11 years old.

Today in the mail we got a notice from our clinic that our embryos will be moved to long term storage and the cost of storage is going to be $400/year. This is $150 increase from what we were paying. It is due by the beginning of Dec. I simply don't have the money right, and there is not a cycle in the foreseeable future.

I have made the very tough choice to donate them to research at the clinic. I feel so disappointed in myself for this. I don't know why I pray that they learn something from them, and that God understands this decision.

No one in real life understands and just wanted to tell someone.

thanks for listening.

November 8th, 2014, 2:47 am #2

That is sad to hear. Our clinic is raising our storage fee also but we pay monthly. We have been paying $41.00 per month and it will go up to about $54.00 per month. I can understand why they increase the fees with the longer storage but it should not force people to make a decision that they were not ready to make.

I wonder if they would work with you if you wanted some more time.

B

November 8th, 2014, 4:56 pm #3

Long time since I have posted. Kids are great and have a perfect attitude for being 11 years old.

Today in the mail we got a notice from our clinic that our embryos will be moved to long term storage and the cost of storage is going to be $400/year. This is $150 increase from what we were paying. It is due by the beginning of Dec. I simply don't have the money right, and there is not a cycle in the foreseeable future.

I have made the very tough choice to donate them to research at the clinic. I feel so disappointed in myself for this. I don't know why I pray that they learn something from them, and that God understands this decision.

thanks for listening.
I paid 500EU, I think, for 5yrs storage at CRM Zlin, about $750 in 2008. In 2011 or 2012, CZ passed an age limit that effectively made me lose control of my embies. I always knew I only wanted two kids, but it took a while to process. Ultimately, I donated them. {{{hugs}}} Maggie (in VA)

November 9th, 2014, 8:44 pm #4

thanks for listening.
I know how hard it is. We have been paying $400/year from the start, and we have decided that our family is complete with our one beautiful boy. Our plan all along has been to donate any leftover embies to another couple, but I haven't been able to bring myself to make it official yet. Trying to work through this before the next bill is due in the spring.

Hugs,

Jen in TN

November 9th, 2014, 11:23 pm #5

thanks for listening.
I had my ups and downs. It felt great to donate. We exchange pictures a few times a year. I never know what my reaction will be next time I click on this beautiful boy picture, sometimes I see similarity and Im sad....sometimes Im happy for the other couple and joy I was able to give them. There is also a possibility of him knocking on my door years from now.

But my choice is made. There is no easy or right choice. Good Luck to you,

November 12th, 2014, 9:21 pm #6

thanks for listening.
Oh, I so understand how tough that was to do. I have 4 perfect embryos that are frozen. I've known from the day that ds was born that there was no way that I could possibly afford another surrogacy cycle and still be able to support him. It's one thing to put myself in the poor house, but now I've got to do what I can do to support my ds and provide the best future possible for him.

And aside from that, being single, I have come to the conclusion that there is no way that I could handle another one. I'm just not organized enough, or something. There just doesn't seem to be enough of me to go around, and I just love how ds gets all of my attention when I am not at work. I don't know how I could be there for all of his needs as well as the needs of an infant. Especially without someone to help share in that responsibility. I know that many single moms do it. I just don't see how I am able to do it. So, for that alone, I can't have another. Even though this is a moot point, given that I can't afford to have another.

So, given all of that, you would think I would have donated my DE/DS embryos. (that is what I have decided to do with them, although I would like to do a known donation) But somehow, each year, I find a way to pay for the $500 storage fee that I can't afford. I don't want to donate them to my clinic though, because I do want to do a known donation. So there is a bit of research, etc. on my part that needs to be done. Oh, and I didn't even mention that now that I am 52, I have aged out of my clinic as well. Hopefully I will emotionally be ready to give up these embryos by the time the next storage fee is due, as I really can't afford to keep storing them for obviously no good reason. Other than it is just such a difficult decision to make. My heart goes out to you. Thanks for posting.

November 16th, 2014, 4:29 am #7

thanks for listening.
100%.