Hair testing...has anyone tried this?? m/c ment

Hair testing...has anyone tried this?? m/c ment

Jittyuk
Jittyuk

December 1st, 2010, 9:59 am #1

Hi i've just had my fourth d/e m/c all different donors so i know the problem is me. I've had a tube tied due to a hydrosalpinx but still hasn't worked. heparin, steroids and aspirin have all been included in my cycles but i keep m/c.

All tests are normal which is really frustrating.......and i do have a naturally conceived daughter who is 8.

I've been looking at alternative therapies and found and investigation where they have said low levels and high copper can cause miscarriage. They test your hair to check your levels.

Has anyone heard of this or even tried it??

Thank you for your help xx

December 1st, 2010, 12:10 pm #2

His name is Amin and he has a clinic in Harley Street called Nature Systems. He is a very good dr and has lots of success through this hair testing - not for infertility especially but different forms of cancer and other illness'. Let me know if you do it and what transpires.

December 1st, 2010, 12:43 pm #3

Hi i've just had my fourth d/e m/c all different donors so i know the problem is me. I've had a tube tied due to a hydrosalpinx but still hasn't worked. heparin, steroids and aspirin have all been included in my cycles but i keep m/c.

All tests are normal which is really frustrating.......and i do have a naturally conceived daughter who is 8.

I've been looking at alternative therapies and found and investigation where they have said low levels and high copper can cause miscarriage. They test your hair to check your levels.

of miscarriage and/or infertility and I wouldn't waste your money on this.

The problem may be a combination of you and DH sperm not just you??

I would concentrate on these areas:-

I think your hydrosalpinx is a HUGE red flag. I would get a second opinion on the hydrosalpinx in case it is impacting still on pregnancy. May need tube removed?

Uterine - up to date hysteroscopy.

DH Sperm - what tests have you had regarding DH sperm. Has he had a karyotype blood test? Would recommend possibly embryo testing for next cycle.

Your thyroid? What are your recent TSH levels? (should be between 1 and 2) plus T3, T4 and antithyroid antibodies.

Clotting screen:- which tests have you had? (APS, MTHFR, Factor V Leiden etc)

Autoimmune issues: What tests have you had? Antinuclear antibodies? RA factor etc etc.

Have you and DH been checked for infections? Ureaplasma, Mycoplasma, Group B strep, Chlamydia - all causes of failure and miscarriage and easy to test for.

What day are you starting clexane and steroids and what dose? It is vitallty important to start them from day 1 of cycle (day 6 latest) to have max. effectiveness.

Are you taking 5mg folic acid/50mg B6 1mg B12 at least 2 months before cycling?

Jitty - I would really look at these issues if you can...

Could you list the tests and results you have had recently??

Best,
Daisy
xx
Last edited by loochieuk on December 1st, 2010, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 1st, 2010, 8:24 pm #4

I had chlamydia and it NEVER showed up on the vaginal swab tests they usually do. My reproductive immunologist insisted on a blood test to double check and the antibodies were there and varied, so now I have to always take antibiotics starting 3 days before transfer.

I am so sorry for your losses. It is horribly frustrating to go so far and still not end up successful. Best of luck to you in future.

Jittyuk
Jittyuk

December 1st, 2010, 8:53 pm #5

of miscarriage and/or infertility and I wouldn't waste your money on this.

The problem may be a combination of you and DH sperm not just you??

I would concentrate on these areas:-

I think your hydrosalpinx is a HUGE red flag. I would get a second opinion on the hydrosalpinx in case it is impacting still on pregnancy. May need tube removed?

Uterine - up to date hysteroscopy.

DH Sperm - what tests have you had regarding DH sperm. Has he had a karyotype blood test? Would recommend possibly embryo testing for next cycle.

Your thyroid? What are your recent TSH levels? (should be between 1 and 2) plus T3, T4 and antithyroid antibodies.

Clotting screen:- which tests have you had? (APS, MTHFR, Factor V Leiden etc)

Autoimmune issues: What tests have you had? Antinuclear antibodies? RA factor etc etc.

Have you and DH been checked for infections? Ureaplasma, Mycoplasma, Group B strep, Chlamydia - all causes of failure and miscarriage and easy to test for.

What day are you starting clexane and steroids and what dose? It is vitallty important to start them from day 1 of cycle (day 6 latest) to have max. effectiveness.

Are you taking 5mg folic acid/50mg B6 1mg B12 at least 2 months before cycling?

Jitty - I would really look at these issues if you can...

Could you list the tests and results you have had recently??

Best,
Daisy
xx
I know i'm a carrier of Group b from when i had my daughter 8 yrs ago.

I have a b12 deficiency which can only be treated via injections. With regards to testing I've had the above mentioned. They gave me the meds just in case but that didn't work.

My hydrosalpinx can't be removed as its stuck to my colon and bowel and will cause damage. I have been referred to the Birmingham Womens Miscarriage clinic which i've been told is the best in Europe. I was at solihull previously.

The consultant said they couldn't do much else for us...thats why we looked at alternatives.

Thanks for this
xx

December 1st, 2010, 10:55 pm #6

in Paddington, London is the best in Europe (I was a successful patient there). Could you possibly ask your GP for a referral there ( you can go private as well). I am afraid I have not heard of the Birmingham Women's Miscarriage clinic, so cannot say how up to date they are interms of current miscarriage investigation, sorry.

I am so sorry you haven't found definitive answers yet. I would be interested to see what tests you have had with results. Can you post them here?

Certainly, I would investigate further infection, DH sperm and the hydrosalpinx issues.

Why were you prescribed clexane, prednisolone etc. and what day did you start taking them?

What is your clinic's stats for DE live birth rates?

Can you give me more info??

I am so sorry - this is so stressful and like a huge, complicated jigsaw. Trying to find missing pieces and fit them in the right order is the goal, and it takes forensic detail. I hope you can find the right professional help to negotiate the next step for you.

Daisy
xx
Last edited by loochieuk on December 2nd, 2010, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diaphantaonacid
diaphantaonacid

December 2nd, 2010, 10:04 am #7

I am from the UK and I had hair testing done a few years ago when I was still cycling with my own eggs with Foresight, an organisation which advocates natural alternatives to preventing miscarriage. Tests indicated I was deficient in minerals and I then bought supplements off Foresight as recommended by them. I was then, again as recommended, tested again a few months later and, again, recommended more supplements. This cost an abosolute fortune and could have gone on for years. I spoke to the woman who ran Foresight and told her I was considering using donor eggs and she freaked out and said I should never consider donor gametes as I wouldn't know where they were coming from. I thought she was a bit nutty actually.

Around this time I was also seeing a reflexologist who said I made be vitimin and mineral deficient and recommended I seek blood testing for this from a doctor she knew who was practising alternative therapy. In desperation I did so and the tests showed that I was deficient in the minerals that the hair testing said I had too much off, and vice versa - in short, totally contradicted the hair testing results.

Well, from that point on I decided that vitamins and minerals were not the important aspects of conception and just concentrated on seeking high quality medical care from people who practised within the field of proven science. I still didn't get success quickly enough (took 5 attempts at donor egg), but at least I felt I knew roughly what I was dealing with.

I think I have since read evidence that said hair testing is not scientifically evidenced and that made me feel I had wasted my money even more.

I support what Daisy said about the recurrent miscarriage clinic in St Mary's, Paddington in London. I think I have already posted to you on a previous thread how to contact Lesley Regan who runs the clinic but if you need the information again I will find it and post again. I was also seeing a consultant at my local miscarriage clinic here in Bristol with a world-class reputation - but he, although very helpful and supportive (he performed standard tests, a hysteroscopy and offered free beta testing when I cycled), was not as good as this clinic in London which are COMPLETELY cutting edge and ahead of the game. Expensive (in comparison my Bristol consultant was NHS and free and I had to pay to see Lesley Regan privately) but you get what you pay for.

Jitty - please contact me for a chat if you want. E-mail me at:

mandyparryatblueyonderdotcodotuk

and I will post you my number.

I have had four miscarriages - two using donor egg - and I know how heartbreaking this is. I am happy to help you in whatever way I can.

Best wishes to you. xxx