GYNs specialize in fibroid removal - HELP!

GYNs specialize in fibroid removal - HELP!

November 1st, 2011, 4:40 pm #1

Hi ladies,
I just got the bad news that I have a fairly large fibroid, still need to be confirmed this friday when I go to get a pelvic ultrasound. RE said I would have to have it removed and takes 6 MONTHS for my uterus to heal before I can attempt a DE cycle.

Can anyone help me with recommendations to find a good surgeon that will preserve my uterus when removing the fibroid? I am so numb that I have not even cried yet at this devastating news. RE even said if it is too large, I may even need to have a hysterectomy and I know this would be the end of TTC for us.

I am in the northern VA area using SG and thinking of switching to GIVF if I don't have to have a hysterectomy. I just found out that GIVF allows transfer up to 55 years old.

Thanks in advance for your help.

tbassets

demomone
demomone

November 1st, 2011, 6:27 pm #2

I also had a large fibroid..Please use a fertility surgeon who understands that you want to have a baby.

November 1st, 2011, 7:16 pm #3

Maybe I will need to have a consult with GIVF and see if any of their REs also can remove the fibroid for me. I just thought that REs don't do these kind of surgeries.

Sharon
Sharon

November 1st, 2011, 7:54 pm #4

Hi ladies,
I just got the bad news that I have a fairly large fibroid, still need to be confirmed this friday when I go to get a pelvic ultrasound. RE said I would have to have it removed and takes 6 MONTHS for my uterus to heal before I can attempt a DE cycle.

Can anyone help me with recommendations to find a good surgeon that will preserve my uterus when removing the fibroid? I am so numb that I have not even cried yet at this devastating news. RE even said if it is too large, I may even need to have a hysterectomy and I know this would be the end of TTC for us.

I am in the northern VA area using SG and thinking of switching to GIVF if I don't have to have a hysterectomy. I just found out that GIVF allows transfer up to 55 years old.

tbassets
I recommend using an RE that also has a surgical specialty in uterine fibroids. I live in NYC so I used a doctor here, but I'm sure you can find one in your area.

Adrah
Adrah

November 1st, 2011, 8:06 pm #5

Hi ladies,

tbassets
After a cycle with my own eggs (BFN), I developed a fibroid in the area of my uterus where an embryo would implant. My RE told me we could not proceed without removal. He gave me the scary scenario, full incision and 6 months of recovery. I went to my OB to discuss it. She offered to do it and use a morcellator, It's a tool that goes through the vagina (sorry TMI and they can remove the fibroid that way. I went with this option. I had no incision and only had to wait for 3 months to start the DE cycle. I'm very glad I didn't go with my RE's super aggressive recommendation. It all worked out fine in the end. I'm sure every situation is different. GL!!! I would get several consults.

November 1st, 2011, 8:22 pm #6

Hi ladies,

tbassets
Sorry about this bump in the road for you. Big hug.

It might not be as bad as it seems right now. I had a serious fibroid issue a few years ago. Two points are relevant to your situation:
1. REs can absolutely handle fibroid removals. I don't know if all REs are talented surgeons, but mine was, and he did a great job.
2. He told me that removing a large fibroid is much easier and less dangerous to the uterus than other scenarios (including mine, which was lots of mid-sized and small fibroids.)

I had a myomectomy -- major surgery, 6" scar, the whole works -- and I was trying again in three months.

I have a friend who had an enormous fibroid (don't remember the size, but remember being shocked at how big) removed laparascopically. If that's an option for your situation, then recovery time is shorter.

So, all to say, the implications for your timeline might not be as serious as it seems now. I can imagine how upsetting it feels now, though. Big hug. You'll get there.

grnhaus
grnhaus

November 1st, 2011, 8:59 pm #7

Hi ladies,

tbassets
First off, sorry you are having to deal with this stuff on top of cycling. It sucks! I was a patient at the SG office in Rockville and had to have an abdominal myomectomy before I could do my first cycle, as I had a large fibroid compressing the top of my uterus. I cried and fought the whole thing for several months when initially diagnosed by another RE and, looking back, wish I had just gotten it over and done with ASAP.

The SG docs in Rockville do not do outside surgery and refer all of their surgery patients to a gynecological oncology practice in Rockville and they operate out of H*ly Cr*ss. I can't say enough good things about the gyn onc who did my surgery, Dr. Steren. He did a great job and was very reassuring to me, as I was really concerned about scarring and long-term damage. I was told I couldn't cycle for 3 months afterwards and started my first cycle almost to the day 3 months later.

My SG RE told me that gyn oncs see "the worst of the worst" when it comes to uterine issues and could do a better job removing a fibroid than he could ever dream of doing. I trusted his advice and have never regretted it. Good luck to you!

November 1st, 2011, 9:22 pm #8

After a cycle with my own eggs (BFN), I developed a fibroid in the area of my uterus where an embryo would implant. My RE told me we could not proceed without removal. He gave me the scary scenario, full incision and 6 months of recovery. I went to my OB to discuss it. She offered to do it and use a morcellator, It's a tool that goes through the vagina (sorry TMI and they can remove the fibroid that way. I went with this option. I had no incision and only had to wait for 3 months to start the DE cycle. I'm very glad I didn't go with my RE's super aggressive recommendation. It all worked out fine in the end. I'm sure every situation is different. GL!!! I would get several consults.
There is a info seminar at my local hospital being given by a local GYN with this experience. I will definitely discuss with her about my situation. Best of luck to you.

Thanks again.

November 1st, 2011, 9:23 pm #9

Sorry about this bump in the road for you. Big hug.

It might not be as bad as it seems right now. I had a serious fibroid issue a few years ago. Two points are relevant to your situation:
1. REs can absolutely handle fibroid removals. I don't know if all REs are talented surgeons, but mine was, and he did a great job.
2. He told me that removing a large fibroid is much easier and less dangerous to the uterus than other scenarios (including mine, which was lots of mid-sized and small fibroids.)

I had a myomectomy -- major surgery, 6" scar, the whole works -- and I was trying again in three months.

I have a friend who had an enormous fibroid (don't remember the size, but remember being shocked at how big) removed laparascopically. If that's an option for your situation, then recovery time is shorter.

So, all to say, the implications for your timeline might not be as serious as it seems now. I can imagine how upsetting it feels now, though. Big hug. You'll get there.
I feel better talking to your ladies already. Your name is aptly named

November 1st, 2011, 9:26 pm #10

First off, sorry you are having to deal with this stuff on top of cycling. It sucks! I was a patient at the SG office in Rockville and had to have an abdominal myomectomy before I could do my first cycle, as I had a large fibroid compressing the top of my uterus. I cried and fought the whole thing for several months when initially diagnosed by another RE and, looking back, wish I had just gotten it over and done with ASAP.

The SG docs in Rockville do not do outside surgery and refer all of their surgery patients to a gynecological oncology practice in Rockville and they operate out of H*ly Cr*ss. I can't say enough good things about the gyn onc who did my surgery, Dr. Steren. He did a great job and was very reassuring to me, as I was really concerned about scarring and long-term damage. I was told I couldn't cycle for 3 months afterwards and started my first cycle almost to the day 3 months later.

My SG RE told me that gyn oncs see "the worst of the worst" when it comes to uterine issues and could do a better job removing a fibroid than he could ever dream of doing. I trusted his advice and have never regretted it. Good luck to you!
My husband used to work at that hospital so I am sure he can ask around. Right now he works at Fairfax I*o*a so he can ask around there too.

Thank you!