Got to laugh

Got to laugh

May 24th, 2012, 12:45 am #1

DS - will be 5 next week is very into numbers (he has Asperger's and this is quite common). I asked him to do some writing with me this morning and sat him down and asked him to write "sun". Well about 15 minutes latter he comes back with a picture of school buses (with their appropriate numbers) and our cars as well as a whole bunch of addition & subtraction problems. Simple stuff like 9-2=7 and 5+4 =9. No-where did he write the word "sun". So tonight I asked him how to spell sun - he did it fine and then he said "spelling is boring, that's why I did math" - I sure hope his kindergarten teacher is understanding.

May 24th, 2012, 1:07 am #2

Although I know it's frustrating when I ask our 4 year old a question to which I know he knows the answer and he decides that's the time to ask for something to drink or show me something that he has made or ANYTHING but what I am asking him.

I hang in there and try to get creative and make the thing that I want to know more fun, or like a game...sometimes it works, sometimes not so much, but eventually I get the answer (by which time I must say I am spent).

Hopefully your ds's teacher will be understanding and support his learning style.

May 24th, 2012, 6:35 am #3

DS - will be 5 next week is very into numbers (he has Asperger's and this is quite common). I asked him to do some writing with me this morning and sat him down and asked him to write "sun". Well about 15 minutes latter he comes back with a picture of school buses (with their appropriate numbers) and our cars as well as a whole bunch of addition & subtraction problems. Simple stuff like 9-2=7 and 5+4 =9. No-where did he write the word "sun". So tonight I asked him how to spell sun - he did it fine and then he said "spelling is boring, that's why I did math" - I sure hope his kindergarten teacher is understanding.
Your DS is right. Spelling is boring and math is king Clever little possum. I feel the same way
best, THK

May 24th, 2012, 12:28 pm #4

Although I know it's frustrating when I ask our 4 year old a question to which I know he knows the answer and he decides that's the time to ask for something to drink or show me something that he has made or ANYTHING but what I am asking him.

I hang in there and try to get creative and make the thing that I want to know more fun, or like a game...sometimes it works, sometimes not so much, but eventually I get the answer (by which time I must say I am spent).

Hopefully your ds's teacher will be understanding and support his learning style.

Well the thing that motivates DS is competition! put his with his twin sister and it is on. They will separate them for kindergarten though which is a good thing as although they play well together, he does let her lead on most things until the competition starts and then all hell breaks lose.

May 24th, 2012, 12:29 pm #5

Your DS is right. Spelling is boring and math is king Clever little possum. I feel the same way
best, THK
I am predicting I can only help the kids up until about Grade 3 with Maths - lucky DH is a math major!

May 24th, 2012, 2:40 pm #6

best, THK
You know THK that mine came, genetically speaking, from the same kind of scientist as your DH and a medical professional too? They are already doing simple addition - Sarah saw something on Umizoomie where you had to add 3 and 3 and she said the answer was 6 and I can ask how many people are in the house and if Grammy comes then how many people will there be and they both can answer correctly. I bet little R will be a math wonk too!

May 24th, 2012, 2:42 pm #7

I am predicting I can only help the kids up until about Grade 3 with Maths - lucky DH is a math major!
One of the many reasons why I knew I wanted to be their mommy. They are spot on perfect for me.