Giving intramuscular shots to oneself?

Giving intramuscular shots to oneself?

June 2nd, 2012, 4:33 pm #1

Hi Everyone,

I've got a couple trips planned for the next month or so, and I don't know how to handle the shots when I go. (My DH gives them to me, but he won't be going with me on either trip.)

One is a week with my mother. We're close and she's very supportive, but I happen to know that she's really squeamish about these kinds of things, and I'd rather not ask her. The other trip is one where I don't have any acquaintances close enough to ask them to come to my hotel room so I can drop my pants and have them stick a huge needle into my *ss. lol

My DH is convinced it can't/shouldn't be done alone, but I know there are some ladies on these boards who have proven otherwise. Can it be done? Does it work OK? Any tips?

(My beta is mid-June, and I'm hopeful that I will have the above problem. If beta doesn't go the way we want, this will be a moot point.)

Thanks!

June 2nd, 2012, 4:59 pm #2

I couldn't do the shots myself - had a friend come over when my husband was out of town and I bailed on a couple out of town trips because I just knew I couldn't do the shots myself - belly may have been doable, but the PIO shots in the booty were too hard. If you go for it, I'd try a few yourself at home first to make sure you can do it before you go - I've read some women do it themselves, so it is possible - good luck!

Claudia
Claudia

June 2nd, 2012, 5:55 pm #3

Hi Everyone,

I've got a couple trips planned for the next month or so, and I don't know how to handle the shots when I go. (My DH gives them to me, but he won't be going with me on either trip.)

One is a week with my mother. We're close and she's very supportive, but I happen to know that she's really squeamish about these kinds of things, and I'd rather not ask her. The other trip is one where I don't have any acquaintances close enough to ask them to come to my hotel room so I can drop my pants and have them stick a huge needle into my *ss. lol

My DH is convinced it can't/shouldn't be done alone, but I know there are some ladies on these boards who have proven otherwise. Can it be done? Does it work OK? Any tips?

(My beta is mid-June, and I'm hopeful that I will have the above problem. If beta doesn't go the way we want, this will be a moot point.)

Thanks!
I gave every single shot to myself and it wasnt difficult. I am almost 9 weeks pregnant so my RE has been lowering the dose. Set up the shots, than turn on your heating pad and lie on heating pad for 10 minutes. I laid on my bed and had the nurse in the beginning draw a circle of where the shot should go. Clean it with alchol pad, pull back to see no blood and inject. The needle only hurts at the very tip, which is only a second. I put alot of pillows behind my back, lie on my side with the side I was injecting up. It is not difficult. Try to relax the side you are injecting by taking all weight off of it. You will get more relaxed with each injection. Goodluck!!

Bethlyn
Bethlyn

June 2nd, 2012, 5:59 pm #4

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
I had to travel often while cycling, too, and while I defintely preferred that my DH to give me those shots, I did do it all by myself when I had to I hope you find yourself in this position, meaning that you have a positive beta! I iced the area first so I would not feel the needle going in, and then I would sit halfway on the bathroom counter to be able to look in the mirror. The red iced area was my target I could never switch sides, being right handed, I always used my right hand to hold the needle, my left cheek was my target

Some ladies here have given themselves the PIO shots even in bathroom stalls in shopping malls (I couldn't do it without a mirror, though), you will do what you have to do! YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Denise
Denise

June 2nd, 2012, 6:18 pm #5

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
Or for those times what about Crinnone three times a day I did mix and match with Pro. no problem!!

June 2nd, 2012, 6:58 pm #6

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
At the time I used ice before administering the shot. I did it standing up, with most of my weight on the opposite foot/leg and looked over my shoulder in the mirror. It took me a few minutes to get up the courage the first time, but it wasn't that hard.

Still, when the trip was over, DH was back on duty. He needed to contribute to this joint effort (aside from his initial contribution in a cup, lol).

Good luck!
Last edited by CTSmithie on June 2nd, 2012, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anonforthis
anonforthis

June 2nd, 2012, 8:23 pm #7

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
and it was ok. My husband got the training, but just couldn't make himself do the shot!

I discussed progesterone with my RE before the cycle, because all the studies show no difference in success rates between pio and crinone. He felt better doing pio before a bfp, to get the lining just right, but was ok with switching afterward, so I did and all went well. Something else to consider.

Julie
Julie

June 3rd, 2012, 3:09 am #8

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
Every time I go by a bathroom at LAX and another in the rental car building at SFO, I remember being in there a little over 2 years ago. I had gotten a BFP by POAS right before the trip and my beta was scheduled when I got back. I had already given myself shots when I had traveled in previous cycles but these were the first sans mirror. It was really quite a production but I got it done. I had a great motivation -- that BFP helped! My DD is 18 months old and just 2 weeks ago I pointed out the bathroom in San Franciso when were there visiting family.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 3rd, 2012, 6:09 am #9

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
DH had been giving me the shots, until he had to leave on a business trip.
I've always been a little scared of shots, but now I had no choice than to give them myself, and I was relieved to find out it wasn't so bad. I'm sure you can do it too!

June 3rd, 2012, 10:06 pm #10

I couldn't do the shots myself - had a friend come over when my husband was out of town and I bailed on a couple out of town trips because I just knew I couldn't do the shots myself - belly may have been doable, but the PIO shots in the booty were too hard. If you go for it, I'd try a few yourself at home first to make sure you can do it before you go - I've read some women do it themselves, so it is possible - good luck!
Yes, it's quite intimidating to think about. I'm going to give it a try when the time comes, fingers crossed! Thanks.