Giuliani & Bill - Gestational Carrier vs Gestational Surrogate & I'm the Dad comments

Giuliani & Bill - Gestational Carrier vs Gestational Surrogate & I'm the Dad comments

June 6th, 2012, 2:18 am #1

Anyone catch the confusion in use of terminology used by Giuliana between GSurro vs GCarrier
There is a difference...correct? She seems 2 look 2 Bill 4 acknowledgement of terminology

Also...I've noticed him say I'm the Dad on 2 occasions

Seems a bit insensitive particularly if my suspicion is right & she used DE

None of my business ... Just my thoughts

June 6th, 2012, 2:47 am #2

...didn't they say they used embryos made from their own gametes that were frozen before her breast surgery? (Am I naive to trust they're telling the truth on that?)

Maya

June 6th, 2012, 3:02 am #3

Indeed
I misspoke ...they indeed discussed freezing embies & 2 survived thaw & thus GCarrier/PG
The confusion of terminology & Bill's I'm the Dad comments r confusing
Again...not my business & thrilled 4 them ...just thrown off by their confusion of terminology

June 6th, 2012, 3:22 am #4

Anyone catch the confusion in use of terminology used by Giuliana between GSurro vs GCarrier
There is a difference...correct? She seems 2 look 2 Bill 4 acknowledgement of terminology

And they use a lot of incorrect terminology. Like banking the eggs instead of freezing embryos. And implant versus transfer. But I love how open they are about all of this. I suspect that they are her own eggs since they did another egg retrieval before she started tamoxifen.

June 6th, 2012, 4:57 am #5

Hi ya,
I can't watch it as am in Oz. If they use the incorrect terminology write and tell the producers. They are probably flying blind on it.
best, THK

June 6th, 2012, 1:50 pm #6

I have been watching this show for awhile and Bill keeps going to great pains to say "Gestational Carrier" and not "surrogate" because a GC uses someone else's eggs whereas apparently a surrogate provides her egg. Giuliana is a little looser with the language, and really refers to the woman carrying her pregnancy as either a GC or surrogate, and Bill keeps correcting her.

The part that sort of irks me is how much Bill is going to a great pains letting everyone know it's "their" child, and they didn't use a donor. That's why he is being so sticky about the terminology GC... he wouldn't want anyone to confuse the fact that it is Giuliana's egg. I get it, but find it a bit offensive. When he says things like "The baby is actually ours"... well, who the F is my baby? Actually, my baby is mine too. So the undercurrent of all these comments is we didn't use a donor, just a woman to carry their egg. And the "I'm the dad" comments I think go to his ego, lest anyone think it wasn't his seed... I know we are in a brand new world here, and are all learning to navigate complicated emotionally charged sensitivities, but I find the whole thing slightly insulting.

On another note, I can't figure out why they would allow Giuliana to get stimulated for another IVF cycle when she has been diagnosed with cancer. High doses of hormones that produce egg development, I thought, was highly discouraged when women have estrogen based cancers such as breast or ovarian. Very surprising.

Separate of this particular issue, I find their show refreshing, and think they seem to be very nice people. I am very happy for them given the hell they have gone through to conceive, and then get the cancer diagnosis, that it looks like they will have a little baby at the end of the summer.

Baby Blessings,
Jordee

June 6th, 2012, 3:08 pm #7

It sounded to me like they did a natural cycle - just a trigger shot - I didn't hear them mention anything about hormones for the 2nd retrieval after her cancer diagnosis, so it's possible that they did a non-medciated cycle. I like the show, they're good people - I would never be able to broadcast all this stuff - too afraid I would jinx things, so good for them for showing people the struggles of infertility.

June 6th, 2012, 7:03 pm #8

I guess I'm the only one who thought this...but when I heard Bill say to Giuliana that he should get to make the announcement to their friends (regarding whether the baby was a boy or girl) because "he was the Dad", I immediately thought, "He didn't mean to, but he inadvertently revealed the sex of the baby to the public! It's a boy!". As others have previously mentioned, Bill goes to great lengths to mention that the baby is "theirs" (biologically - his and Giuliana's), so I thought he was saying as the Dad, he should get to announce it's a boy (whereas perhaps if it was a girl, Giuliana - as the Mom - could announce it).

June 6th, 2012, 8:19 pm #9

It sounded to me like they did a natural cycle - just a trigger shot - I didn't hear them mention anything about hormones for the 2nd retrieval after her cancer diagnosis, so it's possible that they did a non-medciated cycle. I like the show, they're good people - I would never be able to broadcast all this stuff - too afraid I would jinx things, so good for them for showing people the struggles of infertility.
Hmmm, that is a good question about her retrieval. I recall the retrieval at CCRM being documented on their show - they filmed a video on Bill's iPhone addressing their future child and said something like, "right now you are a follicle". The result of that retreival, as documented on the show, was two embryos to freeze for later since she was about to do treatment for her cancer.

Then on a later show she got the advice not to attempt to transfer them to her to get pregnant because the hormonal surges could cause any latent cancer cells to grow. They transfered both embryos to their carrier later and obviously are expecting one child.

Anyway I am happy for them and glad they choose to be public about their struggle. However I wince whenever they use incorrect terminology, like "implant" instead of "transfer", etc

They also did a mini-documentary on gestational carriers. Some couples profiled in the show used DE and others did not or it was not discussed.
Last edited by CTSmithie on June 7th, 2012, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 7th, 2012, 12:23 am #10

I guess I'm the only one who thought this...but when I heard Bill say to Giuliana that he should get to make the announcement to their friends (regarding whether the baby was a boy or girl) because "he was the Dad", I immediately thought, "He didn't mean to, but he inadvertently revealed the sex of the baby to the public! It's a boy!". As others have previously mentioned, Bill goes to great lengths to mention that the baby is "theirs" (biologically - his and Giuliana's), so I thought he was saying as the Dad, he should get to announce it's a boy (whereas perhaps if it was a girl, Giuliana - as the Mom - could announce it).
Didn't look at it this way
This makes total sense!