genetic history concerning

genetic history concerning

De2

November 3rd, 2014, 8:19 pm #1

I just now got around to reading my donor's genetic history. One of her children was born with something called Meckel's diverticulum (I don't even know what this is) and a heart valve defect that was repaired when he was a teenager. Although these things could have come from the father's side, how concerning is this?

November 3rd, 2014, 8:48 pm #2

That is occurs in about 2% of the population and only about 2% of those who have it are symptomatic. If I'm understanding correctly, though, it's not genetically transmitted. Maybe someone more medical will know. Maggie (in VA)

De2

November 4th, 2014, 9:53 pm #3

There's also a 25% chance of early hearing loss with any child from this donor. Not sure what to make of that.

I chose this donor because all of her recipients got pregnant.

She has a very detailed health history of her own family and her children.

November 5th, 2014, 3:52 pm #4

Hearing loss is one of those conditions that is soooo influenced by other factors: being exposed to loud noise, ear infection, other trauma (I. King Jordan, the first deaf president of Gallaudet, became deaf as a result of a motorcycle accident). And, while hearing loss is unfortunate, it is fairly addressable these days with increasingly sophisticated hearing aids and cochlear implants. Good luck! Maggie (in VA)

November 6th, 2014, 7:43 pm #5

There's also a 25% chance of early hearing loss with any child from this donor. Not sure what to make of that.

I chose this donor because all of her recipients got pregnant.

She has a very detailed health history of her own family and her children.
My DH and three of his four siblings have a genetic SNHL (sensorineural hearing loss). All have very productive and fulfilling lives. It is a dominant gene and approximately 50 % of grandchildren including my stepson and my DE DD have it. My DH is a mechanical engineer and was always at the top of his class in high school and college. My stepson graduated ranked 8th out of about 200 in his HS class and is at college studying chemical engineering and excelling. My DD at 22 months has a verbal vocabulary of over 200 words, puts 3-4 words together, signs approx 100 words, counts to ten and can say the alphabet. At one point an RE talked to us about genetically testing embryos and discardingn embryos with gene. We refused to do that and so happy we did! My DD is so bright and wonderful in every way. Early intervention is following her to make sure she doesn't get behind on verbal language development. She has adorable pink hearing aides with pink glitter molds. As Maggie said there is so much available for services and equipment. A school aged niece has an FM system. Teachers wear small microphone and input goes from microphone directly to hearing aides and eliminates all the background noise.