frozen embryo transfer

frozen embryo transfer

Dee
Dee

November 5th, 2011, 2:47 am #1

I have 4 frozen embryos. If (hopefully) they all survive the thaw, should I get all four transferred?

November 5th, 2011, 4:08 am #2

If two to a straw, I'd thaw one straw and if both look good, transfer just those two. Unless your clinic has truly abysmal frozen stats, in which case maybe three? But four? I'd be too scared of high order multiples. Just mho.

November 5th, 2011, 7:19 am #3

I have 4 frozen embryos. If (hopefully) they all survive the thaw, should I get all four transferred?
If you transfer 2 blasts, then you need to be prepared for a fairly high chance of twins.

I had twins with the transfer of 2 day 3 embryos and I think you are risking higher order multiples with more than 2 blasts. Certainly ask the advice of your clinic. Four would be reckless in my opinion. Agree with poster above about thawing as well. You will also have to wait and see on the day how they thaw of course.

Best,
Daisy
xxxx
Last edited by loochieuk on November 5th, 2011, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 5th, 2011, 5:04 pm #4

Hi Dee, I hope you are doing ok. I have been thinking of you. ((Hugs.))

A friend of mine did this recently with four LOUSY donated embryos and ended up pg with triplets. She had pg complications so early on that they did do a reduction to twins at the end of the first tri, and she is barely hanging onto them at 28w now. Her pg has really, really, really sucked, and she hates that she had to do the SR (it was that or lose the whole pg, all opinions agreed). I would not put yourself in this position. I know it's easier for me to say, on the other side of things, and you SO want this to be over and to be pg after all you've been through, but I would really not put back more than two.

GL to you, please keep us posted so we can cheer you on. Hugs,
Kenny

Dee
Dee

November 5th, 2011, 7:10 pm #5

I'm guessing at least one of the embryos might not survive the thaw.

All my clinic has said about these frozen embryos, is that they "look good". If the embryos look less than optimal, would a clinic tell you that?

November 5th, 2011, 7:23 pm #6

(barring splitting into indenticals of course!). Consider that with two embies, there is one way to make twins. With three embies, either A and B can implant or A and C, or B and C. And twin pregnancies are considerably higher risk than singleton though they are often seen as the holy grail especially among those who have no little ones yet (PS I hope this did not sound condescending but looking back, it does to me. I am not sure how to put it though. Ahhh...change "holy grail" to "desirable outcome"? Just take that part of the sentence out? lol welcome to the inside of my brain.)

I did transfer three donated embryos for several reasons (over 13 yrs old, frozen twice, "picked over" 3 times) and ended up delivering twins at 25w6d, 1 lb 13 oz and 1 lb 14 oz. They spent 4 months in the NICU. I would only transfer two if I were to do it again. Though I am endlessly grateful for my little ones, the suffering they went through in what should have been the tail end of trimester two, the third trimester and beyond...I would not choose that in hindsight. Two, yes, if I were conmfortable with the risk of twins (and naively, I was...didn't know my cervix sucked) but I took a much bigger chance transferring three and my kids suffered for it.
Last edited by Blessed_Thistle on November 6th, 2011, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 6th, 2011, 12:03 am #7

We had 5 frozen, but only two looked decent (9 cell and 8 cell), so we transferred both and got a healthy singleton. It really is hard to tell just how it will come out...will they split; any stick; will they all continue growth....its a guessing game really. My betas were so high that we thought twins...here it was just one big guy.

Best of luck to you!

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 6th, 2011, 12:22 am #8

2nd trimester from that. I would NOT transfer more than 2!! Best of luck to you.

November 6th, 2011, 2:49 am #9

I'm guessing at least one of the embryos might not survive the thaw.

All my clinic has said about these frozen embryos, is that they "look good". If the embryos look less than optimal, would a clinic tell you that?
So, like you, I worried that I would never succeed - and then that I would never succeed again (had 3 losses before our twins, and 4 AFTER our twins and before DD). I DID transfer 3 embryos on day 3, twice, before we conceived our twins and had a BFN and a chemical to show for it - the twins came from a cycle in which we only transferred 2, but they were blasts (and I would never do three blasts - really, one blast is ideal IMO, especially on a fresh). My single embryo transfer that resulted in my DD was the way to go for sure, for us. If it had not worked I would have transferred one on FET, again (and again if necessary). I do think two embryos is reasonable on an FET if you are open to twins, but I would NOT transfer more than two (and this is coming from someone who has done it - I rolled the dice and am lucky all three never stuck. That may be controversial for trip moms to hear but I know my bandwidth and I could NOT have handled, could not handle now, trips - my twins almost didn't make it.)

Ok how's that for opinionated... I really believe we have to take our best shot not just at getting pg, but at giving the child(ren) we have, the healthiest start possible. Even though I wouldn't have minded raising a second set of twins, seeing what even "later" preemies (34w) went through (and continue to go through with lung issues related to prematurity for my DS), I would NOT want to carry them again and see them come early. So since you asked for advice that is my best advice: no more than two. I'd even consider a single blast transfer if the FET stats are very good where you are. And... if PGS is a possibility that would cement it for me - one blast.

GL, Dee. I'll be thinking of you and cheering you on no matter how many you put back. You have a really excellent chance as you were successful before - I just know it will work for you again. Hang in there. Best,
Kenny

November 7th, 2011, 1:08 am #10

They will definitely not have frozen 4 in a straw so I would suggest thawing the best 2 first and see if both survive, if not thaw the next straw, maybe 50% will survive. FWIW, I would transfer 3 if 3 survived but definitely not 4. If 2 survive out of the first straw, just transfer the 2 though don't go onto thawing the next 2. I transferred 4 terrible 3 day embies with my first successful cycle and started with triplets, on my last cycle I transferred 3 blasts as one was very poor quality and they wouldn't freeze it. I got twins and I am sure one is the bad embie as one always measured a day behind which is what the embryologist said when we spoke before transfer. Good luck with your cycle.