Frozen donor egg cycle at GIVF is up to $14,000 now

Frozen donor egg cycle at GIVF is up to $14,000 now

January 7th, 2011, 6:16 pm #1

I knew it was coming but did not know when. I still don't see it spelled out what their success rate is though. I wonder if they are that confident of having rates close enough to RBA to put their pricing in line? Hmmm.

January 7th, 2011, 7:14 pm #2

My initial impression when I heard about the $7500 frozen egg cycles was that, being a top-dollar clinic, GIVF was probably suffering disproportionately from the bad economy, from pressure from lower costs clinics like SG and CNY and overseas clinics, and that they were going to get their egg vitrification/banking services in order and start being more of a volume clinic with frozen egg cycles. That, I thought, was great news: the great DE price wall was starting to come down.

But when scubachick wrote that they only claimed a 40% success rate, along with the news that they were going to close to double their price, things started to look very different. The $7500 deal was a way to extend their testing to get stats, while covering more of their expenses or perhaps making some money, before raising their prices. Oh, well.

Maggie (in VA)

ALM
ALM

January 8th, 2011, 12:08 am #3

I knew it was coming but did not know when. I still don't see it spelled out what their success rate is though. I wonder if they are that confident of having rates close enough to RBA to put their pricing in line? Hmmm.
Hi - Just a thought, and not sure where you live. But at Houston Fertility Institute a shared donor egg cycle is $14/$15k total. Of course, you only get 1/2 the eggs, but then you get to pick the actual donor.....and that's a fresh cycle that may result in additional frosties.

I saw the post about what they were doing with frozen donor cycles and I have to say it turned me off. I hope this doesn't offend anyone. It seemed like they were manufacturing embryos for profit.

January 8th, 2011, 4:11 am #4

We're talking about frozen (vitrified) egg cycles, not donor embryo cycles. There was a thread on the dembie board about a clinic doing split FET cycles, but they only create the embryos when the IP's are all on board. There was a Texas clinic that was "manufacturing" frozen embies, but they closed down, to my understanding, due to criticism of their practices. I'm not currently ttc. Vitrified egg cycles are of interest to me as I still have friends ttc and I started at GIVF. Maggie (in VA)

ruby46
ruby46

January 8th, 2011, 4:37 am #5

I was looking at the Fairfax, VA program... was $7500 just a few months ago, how the h*ll can they justify almost doubling the price to $14K now...?!?!

this really, really, REALLY pisses me off... these clinics are taking advantage of us!!!

H40+
H40+

January 8th, 2011, 5:12 am #6

We're talking about frozen (vitrified) egg cycles, not donor embryo cycles. There was a thread on the dembie board about a clinic doing split FET cycles, but they only create the embryos when the IP's are all on board. There was a Texas clinic that was "manufacturing" frozen embies, but they closed down, to my understanding, due to criticism of their practices. I'm not currently ttc. Vitrified egg cycles are of interest to me as I still have friends ttc and I started at GIVF. Maggie (in VA)
What was the name of the clinic that shut down? That's interesting.

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

January 8th, 2011, 5:25 am #7

but then I love that my little ones were conceived out of a couple's love and determination to be parents. The thought of manufacturing potential babies in order to turn a profit seems so wrong.

January 8th, 2011, 3:50 pm #8

I was looking at the Fairfax, VA program... was $7500 just a few months ago, how the h*ll can they justify almost doubling the price to $14K now...?!?!

this really, really, REALLY pisses me off... these clinics are taking advantage of us!!!

Just to chime in with clarification regarding GIVF's frozen DE success rates: the 40% number I was given was a ballpark estimate, and what Dr Lincoln told me at my consult, back in early September last year. I've since seen a few success stories with the program on various boards, so it's quite possible that the stats are on the rise.

Even though I had a BFN with my cycle, I was/am impressed by the program, and would not hesitate to recommend it (and this is my fourth clinic, the first three being double-digit IVF rounds with OE). My suspicion regarding my BFN is that it was an implantation issue, and nothing to do with the freezing process (I had 9 eggs; all 9 fertilized; all 9 were going well on day 3; 7 made it to blast; transferred 2 textbook expanded blasts and froze 5... of course, your mileage may vary, but this cycle went better than hoped up until beta). I was especially interested in frozen egg because it is a very easy cycle to do (I am out-of-town) and there was little worry about a donor accidentally screwing up stims or something unexpected with retrieval: those eggs were there, ready and waiting. Plus, I really felt the need to have lots of info about the donor, and GIVF provides a lot. I was very happy with the selections from their frozen egg donor pool.

Of course, I am petrified that I will not find success with my upcoming FET, but again, I think that's because of something undiagnosed about me and not necessarily anything to do with using frozen egg. $14K still puts the program in the handful of DE options under $20K in the US, and even though I am geographically closest to one of the least expensive DE programs in the US, I would chose GIVF over the nearby clinic solely on the basis of its staff and donors. Of course it stinks that it's all so expensive, doesn't seem like there's much to be done about that.

keifel
keifel

January 8th, 2011, 3:53 pm #9

My initial impression when I heard about the $7500 frozen egg cycles was that, being a top-dollar clinic, GIVF was probably suffering disproportionately from the bad economy, from pressure from lower costs clinics like SG and CNY and overseas clinics, and that they were going to get their egg vitrification/banking services in order and start being more of a volume clinic with frozen egg cycles. That, I thought, was great news: the great DE price wall was starting to come down.

But when scubachick wrote that they only claimed a 40% success rate, along with the news that they were going to close to double their price, things started to look very different. The $7500 deal was a way to extend their testing to get stats, while covering more of their expenses or perhaps making some money, before raising their prices. Oh, well.

Maggie (in VA)
when I spoke with the program coordinator at the time of the $7500 pricing and was told that the success rates would "probably be considerably less than their frozen transfer rates". Since those were in the 30-40% rate, I thought that sounded rather ridiculous to try at any price! She had said that the rates would improve as they had more practice or experience with the process, but I know that I wouldn't want to pay to be a guinea pig! Never mind the ethical considerations of creating embryos that had a slim chance of survival, or going through more medication for such poor statistical results! It actually made me think less of the clinic in general for offering this at all as a paid option. I would have hoped that they would conclude testing and practice trials prior to offering it and charging! Could they have fine-tuned their program in such a short time? I hope so, yet 40% doesn't sound that great either!

January 8th, 2011, 5:33 pm #10

What was the name of the clinic that shut down? That's interesting.
It was something Biblical, as I remember. Anyway, in response to scubachick below, I had a mostly fine experience with GIVF, and would have continued with them had my legal (an awful domestic situation) and financial circumstances allowed it. That's why I posted their seminar information. H***, yeah, I encourage anyone to go try for that free cycle, if you can. I agree with keifel that I thought less of GIVF, though, once it became clear that the $7500 frozen egg cycles were more-or-less patients paying to beta test their frozen egg program. Maggie (in VA)