fresh or frozen

fresh or frozen

May 4th, 2012, 1:16 am #1

I plan to do my first donor cycle in August. We do have someone that would be the donor but I'm seeing all the extra costs being mentioned. I was wondering if anyone had success with frozen eggs. Is it just as good? My Dr. said fresh is better. I'm just thinking it's going to be alot more stressful. What has your experience been? Any input is appreciated. Best wishes to everyone.

green.elephant
green.elephant

May 4th, 2012, 4:46 am #2

frozen cycles are less expensive

fresh cycles have a higher success rate

stats for frozen cycles can vary a lot from clinic to clinic - some clinics have very good frozen stats so that'd be a big factor to look into if you decide to go for frozen... you could do a few frozen cycles for the cost of a single fresh cycle so there's lots of factors to consider

May 4th, 2012, 5:02 am #3

I plan to do my first donor cycle in August. We do have someone that would be the donor but I'm seeing all the extra costs being mentioned. I was wondering if anyone had success with frozen eggs. Is it just as good? My Dr. said fresh is better. I'm just thinking it's going to be alot more stressful. What has your experience been? Any input is appreciated. Best wishes to everyone.
The most recent data are showing that frozen embryos have a higher success rate and result in longer pregnancies and higher birth rates than fresh embryos. This is likely clinic-dependent, though.

May 4th, 2012, 4:38 pm #4

My understanding is that the success rate for frozen egg cycles is quite good, close to fresh cycles at RBA, the clinic that has brought the technology to a viable state. On the other hand, while I know more places are doing frozen egg cycles, I don't know how many of them are really up to speed. So I would be worried that what your RE is really saying is, "Our frozen egg program still isn't up to speed." There are a number of very attractive advantages to frozen egg cycles, not having to sync you up with the donor, not being charged for donor meds, knowing how many eggs you will have to work with (which isn't the same as embies to tx, but having done fresh cycles, I can say that's one less thing to worry about).

I'd be really curious whether there are any women on the board who have done a frozen egg cycle and carried a pregnancy past 20 weeks at a clinic other than RBA. I think I remember someone who cycled at a Tennessee clinic saying she was pg from a frozen egg cycle a while back.

Maggie (in VA)
Last edited by maggie1961 on May 4th, 2012, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 4th, 2012, 5:52 pm #5

We cycled at Nashville Fertility Center and got pg on the first try with a single blastocyst from frozen eggs. We now have a healthy son. The coordinator of the program at NFC trained at RBA, and our RE said their success rates were nearly as good with frozen as with fresh.

If I'm reading the SART stats correctly, they don't separate fresh/frozen eggs, only fresh/frozen embryos. So I guess you have to ask the clinic for stats and trust them.

Good luck!
Last edited by jentenn on May 4th, 2012, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 5th, 2012, 12:50 am #6

frozen cycles are less expensive

fresh cycles have a higher success rate

stats for frozen cycles can vary a lot from clinic to clinic - some clinics have very good frozen stats so that'd be a big factor to look into if you decide to go for frozen... you could do a few frozen cycles for the cost of a single fresh cycle so there's lots of factors to consider
thank you

May 5th, 2012, 12:50 am #7

The most recent data are showing that frozen embryos have a higher success rate and result in longer pregnancies and higher birth rates than fresh embryos. This is likely clinic-dependent, though.
thank you

May 5th, 2012, 12:52 am #8

My understanding is that the success rate for frozen egg cycles is quite good, close to fresh cycles at RBA, the clinic that has brought the technology to a viable state. On the other hand, while I know more places are doing frozen egg cycles, I don't know how many of them are really up to speed. So I would be worried that what your RE is really saying is, "Our frozen egg program still isn't up to speed." There are a number of very attractive advantages to frozen egg cycles, not having to sync you up with the donor, not being charged for donor meds, knowing how many eggs you will have to work with (which isn't the same as embies to tx, but having done fresh cycles, I can say that's one less thing to worry about).

I'd be really curious whether there are any women on the board who have done a frozen egg cycle and carried a pregnancy past 20 weeks at a clinic other than RBA. I think I remember someone who cycled at a Tennessee clinic saying she was pg from a frozen egg cycle a while back.

Maggie (in VA)
Thank you. Where is RBA?

May 5th, 2012, 12:53 am #9

We cycled at Nashville Fertility Center and got pg on the first try with a single blastocyst from frozen eggs. We now have a healthy son. The coordinator of the program at NFC trained at RBA, and our RE said their success rates were nearly as good with frozen as with fresh.

If I'm reading the SART stats correctly, they don't separate fresh/frozen eggs, only fresh/frozen embryos. So I guess you have to ask the clinic for stats and trust them.

Good luck!
thank you