Freaking out re: mammogram

Freaking out re: mammogram

April 9th, 2012, 1:24 am #1

I went in on Wednesday for the mammogram. Today the results were available on line and it read, "Additional diagnostic testing needed". I am FLIPPING out. They also called and left a message for me to schedule a follow-up mammogram. I know I shouldn't panic yet, but I'm panicking. I can't be sick. No one in my family has ever had breast cancer...I have 3 little kids...
Last edited by doglvr on April 9th, 2012, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 9th, 2012, 1:46 am #2

Oh, I know how scary this is. I felt a lump 6+ months ago, and it is so scary. Whereas I know of man people who then go in for the additional diagnostic and/or biopsy where it turns out to be fine, that doesn't make this any less scary. I hope you can get in touch with them first thing in the morning and get all of this taken care of and quickly.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and I hope it all turns out ok.

Hugs.

April 9th, 2012, 2:20 am #3

I went in on Wednesday for the mammogram. Today the results were available on line and it read, "Additional diagnostic testing needed". I am FLIPPING out. They also called and left a message for me to schedule a follow-up mammogram. I know I shouldn't panic yet, but I'm panicking. I can't be sick. No one in my family has ever had breast cancer...I have 3 little kids...
I needed additional testing. Soon as I walked in they said it is probably the position of the breast tissue but they wanted to make sure and that is what it is.

It will be ok, Renata. Take a deep breath hon.

April 9th, 2012, 2:32 am #4

Hi,
Stay calm (easier said than done). I know its a freakout. Further testing could mean anything and not bad stuff. Renata, take one step at a time. I'm positive it will be nothing. They found cysts with me and conjealed blood in my mother's breasts (resulting from a car accident six months previously).
best, THK

April 9th, 2012, 2:40 am #5

Second mammogram then an ultrasound and she was fine. I hope you follow suit.

I felt something odd in my breast this weekend so will be following you to Mammogram Land - am overdue. Here's to great news for us both.

April 9th, 2012, 2:41 am #6

I'm not sure when you last delivered, but I was told lactation (whether or not you breastfeed) can cause many detectable masses that are absolutely not a problem. Perhaps the imaging picked up on some of that. Also, the technology is so, so, so sensitive that even a small movement during the photoshoot can cause a blur, which makes the film not conclusive. I know many people who needed to return for repeat testing... and everything was COMPLETELY normal.

I'll be checking in on you. Hang tough for now.

xo
cat

April 9th, 2012, 3:10 am #7

I had fluid filled sacs in my breast and only an ultrasound
Can show its fluid inside, freaked me out but now it'sakways
Mammo with ultrasound. Also once my muscle was so
Dense it needed a better look, ok I'm sure it's now flab, lol

April 9th, 2012, 3:12 am #8

The first time, I needed to go have an u/s and it showed a fluid filled cyst, which then needed to be biopsied. It was all fine. I got the cyst due to all the IVF medications and being hopped up on hormones.

The second time was just last year, and I had to repeat the mammogram on one breast because the radiologist thought he saw something, but it was nothing.

Women with fibrocystic breasts will also frequently have to repeat testing.

It is probably nothing at all but even if it is, it will have been caught very early! If there were something clearly there, believe me, your doctor would be talking to you about it.

Hang in there.

April 9th, 2012, 3:48 am #9

....The technician didn't do it tight enough and the images weren't good. Did you change clinics?

Try not to worry Renata, I know much easier said than done.

Will send you positive vibes!

Andrea

1st kids for us!
5th DE attempt

April 9th, 2012, 4:22 am #10

Doctors are very cautious which is good. This happened to me before along with other women I know. I have had call back mammograms and a follow up biopsy and everything turned out just fine.

Did you breastfeed? My radiologist showed me the scan which had flecks of calcification. He said it happens pretty often in women that have breastfeed. But he had to do a biopsy to check it out as it looked unusual.

Please try not to worry. I know, easier said than done. But just remember they are very thorough and don't want to miss anything.