Flying in early pregnacy?

Flying in early pregnacy?

June 2nd, 2012, 4:18 pm #1

I just had my transfer a couple days ago, and won't know the outcome until my beta in mid-June. I'm scheduled to go to a conference in early July, so, if things go as hoped, I'll be very newly pregnant at time of flying. It's from the mid-Atantic to Florida, so not international travel, but more than city-hopping. Is this OK, generally? or should I consider cancelling it? It would be disappointing for me not to attend, but not devastating.

It's so funny: I've been ttc for so long, but I realize I have no idea how to be pregnant. lol For emotional survival during the grief of IF, I avoided anything pregnancy-related for years, so now I don't know even the most basic things. I'm re-educating myself!

Thanks!

June 2nd, 2012, 4:59 pm #2

Millions of pregnant women fly every year. I would go and enjoy yourself!

June 2nd, 2012, 5:05 pm #3

I just had my transfer a couple days ago, and won't know the outcome until my beta in mid-June. I'm scheduled to go to a conference in early July, so, if things go as hoped, I'll be very newly pregnant at time of flying. It's from the mid-Atantic to Florida, so not international travel, but more than city-hopping. Is this OK, generally? or should I consider cancelling it? It would be disappointing for me not to attend, but not devastating.

It's so funny: I've been ttc for so long, but I realize I have no idea how to be pregnant. lol For emotional survival during the grief of IF, I avoided anything pregnancy-related for years, so now I don't know even the most basic things. I'm re-educating myself!

Thanks!
I'm 12.5 weeks and I'm 3000 miles from home via several flights. My OB said there's nothing inherently bad about air travel this early in a pregnancy - he just advised me to stay hydrated and walk around on longer flights. Unfortunately, if something goes wrong this early in a pregnancy there's not much that can be done - whether you are home or traveling. On the other hand, I had some early bleeding (SCH) and it was nice to be home to run into my dr.'s office for an ultrasound and reassurance. Due to the SCH I'm just not supposed to lift anything heavy, which is fine because my husband is traveling with me and he's my "mule" - enjoy your trip!

PS - I totally relate to re-educating yourself about all the pregnancy stuff - same here - when I finally got pregnant I had to dig out the pregnancy books I got a couple years ago... they were under the fertility boosting books, which were buried by infertility books...

Good luck with your beta!

June 2nd, 2012, 6:44 pm #4

Thanks!
...from NYC to Miami and back for a business trip.

I opted out of the full body scanner in Miami but at LaGuardia I was in a security line that only used a traditional metal detector so I didn't have to face this issue.

The TSA agents were very polite, both the gentleman I told I wanted to opt out (he replied, "absolutely, that is your right") and the female agent who did the physcial pat down. She was obviously using a prepared dialog that she was trained on and she did so very politely.

Many people and news reports say that these new machines are perfectly safe because they emit very low levels of radiation, but since it took me 6 years of TTC with medical intervention to get this far along I don't want to leave anything to chance.

Enjoy your trip.

Julie
Julie

June 3rd, 2012, 3:14 am #5

Thanks!
I had not even had my beta yet -- I just had positive pee sticks. It was fine. I ended up having to tell a colleague (she knew I had been TTC for some time) because she was trying to change around the time we were flying from LAX to SFO. I finally blurted out I couldn't change the flight time since I needed to give myself a shot right in the middle of the new flight time she wanted. I handled doing the shot in the airport bathroom -- no way on a plane!!

Good luck -- and hope you are indeed traveling when you are very early pregnant.

June 3rd, 2012, 4:02 am #6

Thanks!
I've shared my story a lot of times, but about, hmmmm, I guess a week and a half or so after my initial beta, my boss asked me whether I could fly out of town for a short trip. I looked at the Internet pregnancy sites, and it seemed OK, so I said yes. But the night before I was scheduled to fly out, I started to bleed from an SCH. And lots of IVF patients do. Anyway, I was also scheduled for another beta the morning of the flight, and I went ahead with it -- I figured, either I'm miscarrying or I'm not. And I did the trip not knowing for sure whether I had miscarried; my beta came back good. I was already scheduled for an U/S, which the OB/GYN had scheduled a bit earlier than usual, the following week, I think it was. And I think my GP did another beta between my return and then. But that was pretty harrowing. Anyway, the kicker was, the trip turned out to be completely, totally unnecessary! Take care, Maggie (in VA)

June 3rd, 2012, 1:23 pm #7

, following Maggie's post, is whether you would blame yourself if anything went wrong. For instance, I was advised to avoid intercourse in early pregnancy, not necessarily because it would cause m/c, but because, as the nurse put it, I might blame myself if I did have a m/c. Now, there's a range of safe practices (see thread on hair dye) within which I think each of us has to find our own comfort zone. For many of us, IF and TTC have ruled our lives for years. I think it's important to keep living your life while you're pregnant, with whatever modifications are necessary.

How's that for a noncommittal response?

June 3rd, 2012, 10:27 pm #8

Millions of pregnant women fly every year. I would go and enjoy yourself!
Thanks! nt

June 3rd, 2012, 10:30 pm #9

I'm 12.5 weeks and I'm 3000 miles from home via several flights. My OB said there's nothing inherently bad about air travel this early in a pregnancy - he just advised me to stay hydrated and walk around on longer flights. Unfortunately, if something goes wrong this early in a pregnancy there's not much that can be done - whether you are home or traveling. On the other hand, I had some early bleeding (SCH) and it was nice to be home to run into my dr.'s office for an ultrasound and reassurance. Due to the SCH I'm just not supposed to lift anything heavy, which is fine because my husband is traveling with me and he's my "mule" - enjoy your trip!

PS - I totally relate to re-educating yourself about all the pregnancy stuff - same here - when I finally got pregnant I had to dig out the pregnancy books I got a couple years ago... they were under the fertility boosting books, which were buried by infertility books...

Good luck with your beta!
Yes, that's what I've kept coming back to, that there's nothing they can do any way, if something happens. except offer peace of mind, as you say, which is no small thing. I'll wait until after the beta to male a final decision. And if I do decide to go, I'll get travel insurance so I can easily basil if I want to.

Thanks for your encouragement and good wishes!

June 4th, 2012, 12:11 am #10

...from NYC to Miami and back for a business trip.

I opted out of the full body scanner in Miami but at LaGuardia I was in a security line that only used a traditional metal detector so I didn't have to face this issue.

The TSA agents were very polite, both the gentleman I told I wanted to opt out (he replied, "absolutely, that is your right") and the female agent who did the physcial pat down. She was obviously using a prepared dialog that she was trained on and she did so very politely.

Many people and news reports say that these new machines are perfectly safe because they emit very low levels of radiation, but since it took me 6 years of TTC with medical intervention to get this far along I don't want to leave anything to chance.

Enjoy your trip.
I had not thought about those machines yet, thanks for mentioning that. I appreciate the info and encouragement, thanks!