Flying during first trimester? (BFP mentioned)

Flying during first trimester? (BFP mentioned)

Mrs. H
Mrs. H

September 4th, 2012, 9:32 pm #1

I'm wondering what you ladies think about flying during or maybe a few days after the first trimester. I know most doctors will tell you it's fine, but I have several acquaintances who miscarried during the first trimester fairly shortly after a flight. Could be completely unrelated, but I know we all want to be cautious.

I am currently a little more than 8 weeks (YAY!), but they have not been without issues: I had retroplacental bleeding around 5 weeks, and I'm on PIO shots and inserts because my P4 levels were dropping.

I'm sure I'm just being overly cautious and/or paranoid, but I thought I'd see if others had experience with this issue.

Dee
Dee

September 4th, 2012, 10:04 pm #2

will your flight be?

September 4th, 2012, 10:12 pm #3

I'm wondering what you ladies think about flying during or maybe a few days after the first trimester. I know most doctors will tell you it's fine, but I have several acquaintances who miscarried during the first trimester fairly shortly after a flight. Could be completely unrelated, but I know we all want to be cautious.

I am currently a little more than 8 weeks (YAY!), but they have not been without issues: I had retroplacental bleeding around 5 weeks, and I'm on PIO shots and inserts because my P4 levels were dropping.

I'm sure I'm just being overly cautious and/or paranoid, but I thought I'd see if others had experience with this issue.
Totally fine - I had to fly around that time as well and my doctor said that traveling in and of itself is not a problem at all - he explained that if something goes wrong that early then there is nothing that can be done anyway (unlike 3rd trimester when he advised not to travel for the last couple months). I flew end of 1st/beginning of 2nd trimester, and again during late 2nd trimester and all was fine. I was nervous as I had an SCH during my 1st trimester, but I just knew to do 24 hours bed rest if it happened while I was traveling... made my husband carry my heavy bags... Enjoy your trip!

September 4th, 2012, 11:42 pm #4

I flew during my 1st and 2nd trimesters and my RE and OB were concerned that (1) I walked around during the flight or wore compression stockings to avoid any blood clots and (2)that I was going to a metropolitan area where there would be decent health care if I had any problems. You are right that there is very little that can be done to avoid a m/c at that stage, but you would still want to know where to go or who to see if you had any issues. My OB also checked my cervix before flights just to be cautious as well.

September 5th, 2012, 5:48 am #5

Hi ya,
Hey congrats Mrs H Flying when pg... some do some don't. My story is:
I've got antiphophilipid syndrome (blood clotting issues). I was around five months pg when I told my ob on a random visit that I looked relaxed because I was flying to Kuala Lumpur the next morning.
Well holy cats batman he hit the roof. 'You can't do that.. no.. look I'le get the professor to speak to you if my word isn't good enough'.
Eh ok ok already.
I was due to fly the next morning at 6am needless to say I didn't go.
Thing is if your ob says its ok then go if not then don't go.
Bottom line is if you azre concerned then don't fly.
Oh post on the pink hey, best, THK

thesameboat
thesameboat

September 5th, 2012, 7:21 am #6

myself included. We have to fly. I have to take heparin anyway when I fly or when I'm pregnant to prevent blood clots, though. If you do fly, be sure to walk around and drink enough water.

Mrs. H
Mrs. H

September 5th, 2012, 1:54 pm #7

will your flight be?
So about five hours.

Mrs. H
Mrs. H

September 5th, 2012, 1:56 pm #8

Totally fine - I had to fly around that time as well and my doctor said that traveling in and of itself is not a problem at all - he explained that if something goes wrong that early then there is nothing that can be done anyway (unlike 3rd trimester when he advised not to travel for the last couple months). I flew end of 1st/beginning of 2nd trimester, and again during late 2nd trimester and all was fine. I was nervous as I had an SCH during my 1st trimester, but I just knew to do 24 hours bed rest if it happened while I was traveling... made my husband carry my heavy bags... Enjoy your trip!
That comforts me to hear that you had a flight around the same time and everything turned out fine.

Mrs. H
Mrs. H

September 5th, 2012, 1:57 pm #9

I flew during my 1st and 2nd trimesters and my RE and OB were concerned that (1) I walked around during the flight or wore compression stockings to avoid any blood clots and (2)that I was going to a metropolitan area where there would be decent health care if I had any problems. You are right that there is very little that can be done to avoid a m/c at that stage, but you would still want to know where to go or who to see if you had any issues. My OB also checked my cervix before flights just to be cautious as well.
To get checked beforehand, walk around, etc. I am one of those people who can start a book and just sit an entire flight, so I will have to make myself get up and move around! And I'm going to a major metropolitan area - so while I dearly hope I won't need it, I know there is good emergency care available.

Mrs. H
Mrs. H

September 5th, 2012, 1:59 pm #10

Hi ya,
Hey congrats Mrs H Flying when pg... some do some don't. My story is:
I've got antiphophilipid syndrome (blood clotting issues). I was around five months pg when I told my ob on a random visit that I looked relaxed because I was flying to Kuala Lumpur the next morning.
Well holy cats batman he hit the roof. 'You can't do that.. no.. look I'le get the professor to speak to you if my word isn't good enough'.
Eh ok ok already.
I was due to fly the next morning at 6am needless to say I didn't go.
Thing is if your ob says its ok then go if not then don't go.
Bottom line is if you azre concerned then don't fly.
Oh post on the pink hey, best, THK
that if you are concerned about something, the best thing to do is not do it (or get it checked out). Sorry to hear about your issues.
Re: the pink board - when I checked it out, it all seemed to be posts from people who are already moms - not just pg. Not true?

Thanks!