FET Questions about thawing

February 1st, 2014, 9:19 pm #1

I received my cycle orders today and I'm not super comfortable with the thaw details. I have 5 frozen blasts and we are planning to transfer 2. The order say to thaw all the embryos. Some possibly dumb questions:

- If we only thaw 2 what are the chances both will thaw and be fine for transfer. They are both 4BBs.
- If they thawed all 5 and they looked great can the thaw the 3 we won't transfer?

This cycle cost us a fortune and I imagined with 5 frozen I'd get 2 FET cycles out of it. I'm a little freaked that this could be a make it or break it cycle for us. Say it isn't so!

February 1st, 2014, 9:28 pm #2

I think you should clarify with your RE. Why wouldn't they just thaw the 2 you are going to transfer? If both didn't survive, then thaw 2 more. If one survived, either thaw one more or transfer just the one. I'd find out how they are stored--individually or are they grouped? No way would I agree to thaw all 5. Not sure if re-freezing is even an option but I'd think that it would be too stressful on them.

February 1st, 2014, 9:34 pm #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I expect they'll get back to me and explain that they'll start with 2 and see how they do and if necessary thaw all 5. I should try not to freak when I read clinician notes. I've been pretty chill about planning the FET (sort of have to be since my HCG hasn't gone to 0 yet) and seeing the thaw notes had me panicked. I don't want to start thinking about what happens when/if we get through what we've got frozen with no THB on the way.

February 2nd, 2014, 12:35 am #4

There is some stuff on pubmed about it. The embryos that would become my children were thawed from either 2pn or 3 day (having been created in 1995, I think even 3 day was pretty fancy for them so they did not let all grow that long before freezing), cultured to blast for first embryo recipient, then the unused ones refrozen.
Last edited by Blessed_Thistle on February 2nd, 2014, 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 2nd, 2014, 2:42 am #5

I received my cycle orders today and I'm not super comfortable with the thaw details. I have 5 frozen blasts and we are planning to transfer 2. The order say to thaw all the embryos. Some possibly dumb questions:

- If we only thaw 2 what are the chances both will thaw and be fine for transfer. They are both 4BBs.
- If they thawed all 5 and they looked great can the thaw the 3 we won't transfer?

This cycle cost us a fortune and I imagined with 5 frozen I'd get 2 FET cycles out of it. I'm a little freaked that this could be a make it or break it cycle for us. Say it isn't so!
they can not thaw 2 and if they are not good taw some more. It has to be timed and it takes a day or so to thaw. You would be past the optimal point to transfer if you had to wait for additional embryos to thaw. however they should be able to refreeze those that are not used. I was told to thaw 2x what you are transfering. but that number might depend on the day they were frozen. the older the embryos (day 5 over day 3) maybe less need to be thawed. I think it is a gamble to only thaw the number you plan to transfer.

February 2nd, 2014, 3:39 am #6

My understanding is that with the vitrification technology the thaw time is about an hour. If that's the case doesn't it make sense that they could thaw, evaluate, and thaw more if necessary? I'm really hoping so. I looked at my embryo cryo report and they were frozen separately so they shouldn't need a batch thaw. Looking forward to getting some answers from the clinic.

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

February 2nd, 2014, 3:41 am #7

they can not thaw 2 and if they are not good taw some more. It has to be timed and it takes a day or so to thaw. You would be past the optimal point to transfer if you had to wait for additional embryos to thaw. however they should be able to refreeze those that are not used. I was told to thaw 2x what you are transfering. but that number might depend on the day they were frozen. the older the embryos (day 5 over day 3) maybe less need to be thawed. I think it is a gamble to only thaw the number you plan to transfer.
It only takes less than a hour to thaw an embryo.

February 2nd, 2014, 4:49 am #8

Hi there - I am an old timer on the board, but have been quietly following and routing for you!

When we did our FET my DH was adamaent about only transferring one. We had four frozen in four separate straws.

They thawed one and the RE showed us the picture and said it didn't look great. We agreed to thaw a second. They sent me upstairs for a massage and within an hour the transfer was done.

Last edited by Gigigirltx on February 2nd, 2014, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 2nd, 2014, 2:25 pm #9

I cannot believe I've heard back already. That's a nice surprise. I feel better the plan is to thaw 1-2 embryos. If the first embryo is top quality and survives, then no further embryos will be thawed. The thaw: all notation just means that the lab has permission to continue to thaw additional embryos (if the first does not survive) until 1 blast is available for transfer.

Thank goodness!

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 2nd, 2014, 2:41 pm #10

It just takes a couple of hours, they can thaw a batch in the morning. If those don't thaw, they can thaw another two. Clinics do this all the time. And ideally you would not want to refreeze them on the same day. Usually they refreeze them at a different stage (for example, they were thawed at 2pn, then refrozen on day 3 or day 5).