Fertilization Rates with CGH Normal Eggs After Vitrification?

Fertilization Rates with CGH Normal Eggs After Vitrification?

Anna
Anna

April 17th, 2011, 6:36 pm #1

Sorry for the barge.

Does anyone here know what the fertilization rate is for eggs that have 'passed' CGH and then been frozen through vitrification? Is the rate less than eggs that are fertilized after ET?

Do you have a better chance if you fertilize the eggs then do the CGH and vitrification?

April 17th, 2011, 7:06 pm #2

It was 100% for us. 6 normal frozen eggs....none made it to blast though. We were heartbroken. He has quoted some impressive success rates with it though.
Last edited by Blessed_Thistle on April 17th, 2011, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anna
Anna

April 17th, 2011, 7:50 pm #3

Thanks. I'm new to all of this so maybe this is a stupid question. But how can 6 new eggs (as evidenced through CGH) be fertilized and then not make it to blast? What did the doctor say?

April 17th, 2011, 8:16 pm #4

of not reaching transfer. I thought, well, between the two of us, that is just a 1% chance of neither of us making transfer. It seemed worth the risk of paying all we had to pay to meet the study parameters (about $1000 worth of testing, we both needed ivig at $3500 etc). We never did get a WTF meeting with Dr Sher. Maybe if we'd asked we could have. But the day after I got home, I found a local egg freezing study and my friend and I both were able to participate in it. The eggs were not CGH tested but we did both at least get to transfer.

LadyMagoo
LadyMagoo

April 18th, 2011, 3:03 am #5

It was 100% for us. 6 normal frozen eggs....none made it to blast though. We were heartbroken. He has quoted some impressive success rates with it though.
OMG - I'm so sorry. That must have been excrutiating. Did this happen during a DE or own egg cycle?

I ask because we are (and perhaps now, were) considering CGH with our upcoming DE cycle.

April 18th, 2011, 3:49 am #6

and yeah, it made it MUCH harder that neither of us made transfer. M getting to transfer and having the hope of motherhood was what was keeping me going when they told me on day 3 mine weren't doing so well. Actually on day 1, I'd woken to the sound (in my brain but as clear as if she were really on the phone), the coordinator telling me, "Sweetie I'm sorry, none of them made it." So I'd been oddly anticipating a poor result for myself. Then on day 5, when wham M had nothing to transfer...it was crushing. Worse though was when they called me back day 5 afternoon and said I had one mysteriously rallying and we could see if it might make it to day 6 (they were only transferring blasts and it was still a morula)...and it didn't. Yeah, it sucked. Pretty soul crushing. She mentioned they had one embryo (where did it come from? I still don't know) that they could let me use but the HLA-dq alpha was wrong. If I'd pressed the point, I suspect they would have let me use it but I was so numb, I did not. Coming home to find the local study (for which we got to choose our egg donors and get ALL the eggs, they just had to be frozen) made it much, much more bearable. It was like being handed the keys to the kingdom. Imagine getting all that essentially for free! Even though we both got BFN there, reaching transfer made a huge difference emotionally.

I should add that M did a donor cycle there a few months later and now has a beautiful son who just turned two, and I did donor embryo in NM about 6 months after that and have also been blessed, with two little ones. So, ultimately, it was all just "the broken road" that led us to our little ones.

LadyMagoo
LadyMagoo

April 19th, 2011, 1:22 pm #7

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm still in shock. I just don't expect to hear a that none of the embryos would make it to Day 5 with DE. You perservered and are now a mommy, though.

I was so gung-ho about doing CGH with my upcoming DE cycle (our first, and last, we hope). I'm having serious doubts. We are with SIRM-NY. If you had to do it over again, would you do CGH? If you had to guess what the contributing factor was, could you?

April 19th, 2011, 3:03 pm #8

Still, I'd feel better about doing CGH on blastocysts though you do run the risk of mosaicism skewing your results (I am not sure how high in the absence of a balanced translocation issue - I don't know a lot about it). Maybe you could post on haveababy.com and get current patients' feedback on oocyte CGH testing (which I guess technically is polar body testing)?
Last edited by Blessed_Thistle on April 19th, 2011, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.