extra contracts outlining future contact

extra contracts outlining future contact

August 21st, 2012, 8:25 pm #1

Hello, all. Haven't been around for a while as DH and I sort through the pros and cons of leaving our old clinic for one that feels more comfortable to us. What primarily drove this decision was our desire for there to be a provision for any future child to meet the donor in the future, if he or she so wished. Our new clinic allows for this, and the donor we have chosen has agreed. Our clinic does not do this kind of contract, though, and so we have to find a lawyer and have a contract drawn up.

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) or advice with regard to these kinds of contracts? We are flying blind here, and so any information would be helpful to us at this point.

Thank you so much!

Melissa

green.elephant
green.elephant

August 21st, 2012, 10:15 pm #2

Great idea to keep options open with regards to donor meeting... You'll want an attorney who specializes in ART - they can't include language that will require donors to meet with children, but you can do something like require the donor to register with the DSR within a certain time frame (that's what our attorney did) - required donor to register (at our expense - a lifetime membership) on DSR within x amount of days after a positive pregnancy test - I thought that seemed early, but the attorney said it's much easier that way as donors can move etc., and so the sooner the better. We paid for our donor to have her own attorney and she signed a copy of the contract on file with her attorney, and we signed a copy on file with our attorney - contract says it's valid without signatures from both parties as we are anonymous. Hope that helps - good luck!

August 22nd, 2012, 12:13 am #3

I really appreciate your input. Thanks for sharing :>
Melissa

August 22nd, 2012, 5:32 am #4

You are very welcome. Good luck!

Lisa

August 22nd, 2012, 5:36 am #5

Great idea to keep options open with regards to donor meeting... You'll want an attorney who specializes in ART - they can't include language that will require donors to meet with children, but you can do something like require the donor to register with the DSR within a certain time frame (that's what our attorney did) - required donor to register (at our expense - a lifetime membership) on DSR within x amount of days after a positive pregnancy test - I thought that seemed early, but the attorney said it's much easier that way as donors can move etc., and so the sooner the better. We paid for our donor to have her own attorney and she signed a copy of the contract on file with her attorney, and we signed a copy on file with our attorney - contract says it's valid without signatures from both parties as we are anonymous. Hope that helps - good luck!
...WITH THE DSR MYSELF. HOWEVER, I DIDN'T REQUIRE OUR DONOR TO REGISTER HERSELF. I WISH I HAD DONE SO.

I KNOW OUR DONOR DONATED THREE TIMES PREVIOUSLY ON THE EAST COAST AND WENT ON TO DONATE AGAIN ON THE WEST COAST SO OUR DD PROBABLY HAS HALF GENETIC SIBLINGS ON THE WEST COAST, POSSIBLY IN THE SAME CITY. AND THAT IS A WEIRD FEELING...

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

LISA