Exercise

Exercise

Maggie
Maggie

April 9th, 2012, 1:20 am #1

I know everything discourages strenuous exercise during pregnancy. That being said, I went on a 15 minute bike ride that turned out to be way more strenuous than expected...I'm only 5 1/2 weeks along, I drank plenty of water when I was done but I'm still very worried. Is it usually repeated exercise or could things be doomed after this one experience?

April 9th, 2012, 4:13 am #2

Try not to worry about this one time strenuous bike ride. I honestly don't think it will harm your pregnancy at all. Many women don't even know they are pregnant by 5 1/2 weeks and are doing all sorts of exercise and everything turns out just fine.

April 9th, 2012, 4:49 am #3

I know everything discourages strenuous exercise during pregnancy. That being said, I went on a 15 minute bike ride that turned out to be way more strenuous than expected...I'm only 5 1/2 weeks along, I drank plenty of water when I was done but I'm still very worried. Is it usually repeated exercise or could things be doomed after this one experience?
I was a fitness instructor for many years and like the above poster said, most women don't discover pregnancy until around 5 - 6 weeks so I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.
Stress would cause more issues than exercise, especially if you normally exercise outside of pregnancy. Just relax, have a warm bath and put your feet up if you're worried, that will help with the stress too.
If you get any spotting, perhaps call your midwife or whatever you have over there, but this is only worst case scenario. You'll be fine.