eating issues and some things we are learning

eating issues and some things we are learning

May 27th, 2012, 6:54 pm #1

As many of you know, DS has been having eating issues for a long time. He is very smart, adorable, and sociable (he is from donor embryos, so we feel like we can brag) and this is the only issue we really struggle with so far. Anyway, many of you have given great advice, so I wanted to share a few things in case anyone else has a child with these issues.

I found a very helpful book called, "Just Take a Bite." It covers some of what we have learned in feeding therapy. Has some great advice for resistant eaters.

We have learned to never say or do anything negative during eating time. For example, if he throws food, instead of saying "Don't throw your food," we say something that teaches instead of commands such as "We don't throw our food." This kind of instruction really works well for DS who, at age 15 months is already starting his terrible two's. By teaching, he doesn't feel the need to be defiant as he might if it was commanding. It keeps mealtime more enjoyable, and he desperately needs to see food and meal times as a good, fun thing. We praise anything he does positive towards eating...even if it means trying something new but spitting it out. We also have him help clean up by putting a piece of each food type from the meal or snack (each meal and snack consists of six different choices) in his mouth and spitting it into the garbage. He is more willing to try something new because he knows he can spit it into the garbage, which he thinks is great fun. Also, if he is still hungry, but doesn't know it (like any toddler he is controlled by impulse and often thinks he is done eating because he suddenly wants to go chase the cat) he will actually continue to eat the food he put in his mouth instead of spitting it out. A few more bites are always a good thing.

This weekend he actually tried, and ate, pizza, a hamburger, and half a ravioli! He also tried, but didn't love, peanut butter and lasagna. So proud of him! He gained about 4 oz last week and is up to the 26th percentile (although 80th percentile in height, so still very tall and slender).

Thanks again for all the help
Last edited by gr8tful1 on May 28th, 2012, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 27th, 2012, 8:01 pm #2

That is so great about eating this weekend..it's all about the small steps..I found the food that DD loves and she gets it every day. We are lucky that it is high in calories..(avacado and lamb chops)...Our ped has helped us with the diet as well..and she also recommended the book you mentioned above. DD is under 15% for weight but is 70% for height and seems to be getting taller each day.
We have the food throwing issue as well..started about 15 months. Have to watch not to yell but I think we are getting better with it now.
Keep posting updates.
Last edited by demomone on May 28th, 2012, 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 27th, 2012, 8:24 pm #3

As many of you know, DS has been having eating issues for a long time. He is very smart, adorable, and sociable (he is from donor embryos, so we feel like we can brag) and this is the only issue we really struggle with so far. Anyway, many of you have given great advice, so I wanted to share a few things in case anyone else has a child with these issues.

I found a very helpful book called, "Just Take a Bite." It covers some of what we have learned in feeding therapy. Has some great advice for resistant eaters.

We have learned to never say or do anything negative during eating time. For example, if he throws food, instead of saying "Don't throw your food," we say something that teaches instead of commands such as "We don't throw our food." This kind of instruction really works well for DS who, at age 15 months is already starting his terrible two's. By teaching, he doesn't feel the need to be defiant as he might if it was commanding. It keeps mealtime more enjoyable, and he desperately needs to see food and meal times as a good, fun thing. We praise anything he does positive towards eating...even if it means trying something new but spitting it out. We also have him help clean up by putting a piece of each food type from the meal or snack (each meal and snack consists of six different choices) in his mouth and spitting it into the garbage. He is more willing to try something new because he knows he can spit it into the garbage, which he thinks is great fun. Also, if he is still hungry, but doesn't know it (like any toddler he is controlled by impulse and often thinks he is done eating because he suddenly wants to go chase the cat) he will actually continue to eat the food he put in his mouth instead of spitting it out. A few more bites are always a good thing.

This weekend he actually tried, and ate, pizza, a hamburger, and half a ravioli! He also tried, but didn't love, peanut butter and lasagna. So proud of him! He gained about 4 oz last week and is up to the 26th percentile (although 80th percentile in height, so still very tall and slender).

Thanks for sharing! I am glad things are going so well. PAH

May 27th, 2012, 10:32 pm #4

You are doing okay, what you see at 15 months is not unusal at all. This is experience from my first son, now who at 6yrs old can not get enough food. His little brother though at 3yrs old is at 5% for weight now that is a worry. I would love to have him in the 25th percentile. I am on a mission now thought. So you are doing great and so is your son. Congrads to both of !

May 28th, 2012, 3:39 am #5

That is so great about eating this weekend..it's all about the small steps..I found the food that DD loves and she gets it every day. We are lucky that it is high in calories..(avacado and lamb chops)...Our ped has helped us with the diet as well..and she also recommended the book you mentioned above. DD is under 15% for weight but is 70% for height and seems to be getting taller each day.
We have the food throwing issue as well..started about 15 months. Have to watch not to yell but I think we are getting better with it now.
Keep posting updates.
it's awesome that your daughter likes the fattening stuff. She sounds long and lean like DS. I sneak avocado into DS's foods. Otherwise, it's like he has himself on a diet and avoids anything fattening. Weird.

He has been doing better with the food throwing thing since we stopped getting upset at him for it...he drops things by accident, but basically just leaves most of his food on the table to the end of the meal. Since we started letting him throw the leftover food in the garbage he leaves most of it on the table. He really gets into the clean up routine...starts throwing away bowls, cups, etc...I just pick it back out. I figure he is "helping" and it is helping him, so why fight it. He also wipes the table and his mouth. Cute.

Good luck with DD. It's stressful, isn't it!

Last edited by gr8tful1 on May 28th, 2012, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2012, 3:41 am #6

You are doing okay, what you see at 15 months is not unusal at all. This is experience from my first son, now who at 6yrs old can not get enough food. His little brother though at 3yrs old is at 5% for weight now that is a worry. I would love to have him in the 25th percentile. I am on a mission now thought. So you are doing great and so is your son. Congrads to both of !

for the encouragement! I hope your little guy starts doing better Is he tall also? It is so stressful.

Last edited by gr8tful1 on May 28th, 2012, 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2012, 3:42 am #7

Thanks for sharing! I am glad things are going so well. PAH
hope it helps! It has helped us...we are still in the midst of it, but i think it is getting better.

Last edited by gr8tful1 on May 28th, 2012, 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2012, 4:13 am #8

for the encouragement! I hope your little guy starts doing better Is he tall also? It is so stressful.

He is at the 50% mark for height, at least your son may have an excuse because of his height and calorie needs, but 25% is great with 80% height.

May 28th, 2012, 4:13 am #9

n/t

Last edited by Dee.S on May 28th, 2012, 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2012, 10:46 am #10

DS has always been below 5%, for wt, around 50% for ht though. He eats well now (we had issues when only on formula), but he must 'burn' it all as he is not putting on any extra at all. Hid pedi is not concerned any more; as long as he is growing and meeting milestones. Last week he actually finally made the charts between 5-10%!
26% is great; curious here how your DS (Cr8tful1) manages to gain wt if not eating that much? DS eats like a champ now, but not much wt gain. And we are making a conscious effort to give him lots of extra protein & good fats...
How did they diagnose his feeding issues? Our boy was a poor eater' up till about 8-9 months, and even solids got off to a slow start until he one day just suddenly started to eat almost anything we eat. Granted he still has he favorites (like pasta and yogurt), but his diet is now pretty diverse....
26% really is quite good!

zane