DS has to be recircumsized this Friday

DS has to be recircumsized this Friday

February 14th, 2012, 8:48 pm #1

I'm sorry I haven't been posting more - things are crazy busy with toddler twins!

Little guy has to get recircumsized this Friday and I am sick about it. He had it done right after birth but the skin is still half way attached and we are told it will cause him painful erections when he's older. The surgery is not until 3p and he can't eat after 7a!! And I am so worried about him going under anesthesia - we have no idea if he will have a bad reaction or not. And then he will have pain meds and it will swell up. My poor little guy. I wish we would have never done it. Has anyone else been through it?

Last edited by ajs3531 on February 14th, 2012, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 14th, 2012, 8:53 pm #2

...no experience, just a big hug. hang in there, mama. i can only imagine what you're going through emotionally. i'm wishing him an easy surgery and an even easier recovery.

February 14th, 2012, 8:54 pm #3

I'm sorry I haven't been posting more - things are crazy busy with toddler twins!

Little guy has to get recircumsized this Friday and I am sick about it. He had it done right after birth but the skin is still half way attached and we are told it will cause him painful erections when he's older. The surgery is not until 3p and he can't eat after 7a!! And I am so worried about him going under anesthesia - we have no idea if he will have a bad reaction or not. And then he will have pain meds and it will swell up. My poor little guy. I wish we would have never done it. Has anyone else been through it?

I am sorry to read this for his sake and yours. Being a mom when your child has surgery is SO tough. It is so hard to wait and worry, I know.

For what it is worth, my son has had MANY surgeries sadly and has had no reaction to the anesthesia other than he takes longer to wake up since he has preemie lungs (though last surgery a year ago at age 2 it was a nonissue).

Make sure you have all your questions written down adn keep notes on what the MD and nurses tell you. I know I was so worried and then so happy when surgery was over, I am in a fog when they say " dont wash this or meds for that, etc" They do give discharge notes etc but sometime the lil words of wisdom from nurses are so much more. From experience we do first thing in the morning surgeries ONLY. Our local pedi hospital schedules by youngest earliest just for the fasting issue, the lil ones do not understand they cant eat / drink. Just to let you know that may be a hard part and stress you out. Do you have help for DD? You? etc

ok, DH will KILL Me ...but he had to have his redone as a toddler also. Eek yes. It happens. As far as I know he is ok with it, doesn't remember it or have scaring, etc. As 3 kids later, I think it works just fine (sorry trying to bring a smaile to your face when things are tough).

February 14th, 2012, 9:06 pm #4

I'm sorry. But please don't beat yourself up about choosing to circumcise. Occasionally uncirc'd boys also need to have surgery so you see, you can't win for losing. It's just one of those things.

I was never a peds nurse but I did work in the recovery room and would have peds patients right next to my patients and from what I observed, most kids do well with anesthesia and wake up easily. Also a circ is a very fast surgery so he won't even be under for very long.

February 14th, 2012, 9:31 pm #5

I know this must be awful. The fasting sounds hard -- I take it that it can't wait till he's a bit older or they'd let you do that. Wishing you and your DS all the best with this. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

February 14th, 2012, 9:39 pm #6

I am serious. If it's not an emergency, I would get a second and even third opinion. Doctors are very quick to circumcise like it's no big deal, but it is a big deal. I don't want to cause a war on this board over circumcision, but the foreskin can remain attached for quite some time (does not retract) in intact boys and rarely is medical intervention necessary. Please buy yourself peace of mind and have another doctor, maybe at another clinic, check out your LO. Make sure this doctor is "intact friendly" (meaning, he doesn't think that circumcision is the answer to everything). The foreskin is not just extra skin. If your son still has some remaining, this might be a good thing for him. Again, I don't know the exact circumstances but if you have a single doubt at all, then it won't hurt to get another opinion. Let me know if you want to talk off the board.
Last edited by doglvr on February 14th, 2012, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 14th, 2012, 10:40 pm #7

Well I'm sure he will be just fine. Don't beat yourself up over doing the circumcision. It's one of those things that can go either way. Sometimes circumcision doesn't work just right and they have to make repairs. Or as an adult he will be mad he was circumcised at all. Or, you can skip the circumcision and he will have problems as an adult and then later need a circumcision. Or be really mad you did't circumcise him as a baby. OMG.....you just can't win!

I think Renata has a good idea to get a second opinion if you are thinking maybe you don't want to do the surgery on Friday. I know it is hard but try not to get yourself all worried. It probably is one of those things that should be corrected and it would be better to do it when he is young. He will probably be just fine with the anesthesia and the pain meds will stop the pain. Poor little guy. I do feel bad for both you and him.

February 14th, 2012, 10:45 pm #8

So sorry that you and your son are having to go through this again.

Something similiar happened to my son, where right after the circumsision, he had a huge bm and it was a mess trying to get it all out.  Well we didn't get it cleaned well and the skin started to tighten, basically a hole big enough to pee out of.  We tried meds and it didn't do much,.  However when he had to have surgery for hydrocelles, the surgeon offered to redo the circ again or he could simply snip through the scar tissue and there would be very little pain.

We chose the latter.  Looking back I wish we hadn't had it done in the first place, but it was done and I can't beat myself up over it anymore.

Molly

February 14th, 2012, 11:37 pm #9

if you have another son. That's what my cousin did. I wish I'd have thought of it.

As for your son, it's usually a short procedure and pediatric urologists perform a lot of corrective surgeries. Make sure that you choose a good surgeon. You can look up online to see if there are any complaints against the surgeon. Ask him if he will be doing the surgery rather then a resident.

You should also ask the anesthesiologist how much experience he's had with babies.

February 14th, 2012, 11:57 pm #10

This must be incredibly difficult. I'm so sorry you and your little guy are going through this. Please check in with us to let us know how it goes. Gosh, even just the not feeding him for that long has to be so hard! Will look forward to hearing this is behind you and he is healing well.

xoxov