Donor embryos

Donor embryos

hope2012
hope2012

August 15th, 2012, 10:42 am #1

I'm looking around at the option of donor embryos as I need a double donation. I've looked at Miracles Waiting and a clinic in Florida. The Florida clinic won't accept me as I don't meet their BMI requirement and Miracles Waiting don't have any African American embryos available.
Any other suggestions as to where I could look? I don't want to do embryo 'adoption'. Are there any forums where people who have completed their IVF cycles post re embryo donation? I'm feeling a bit lost, suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks ladies.

August 15th, 2012, 12:27 pm #2

Check with some clinics and ask if they have a donor embryo pool. A lot of clinics Have a pool of embryos that thier patients end up not useing because they have completed thier families. Some have a wait list but sometimes they are only a few months long. it will take that long do your pre-testing and consult. Start with clinics locally and go out from there. I ended up at Cooper in NJ. I don't know how far away you are but they are used to working with out of town patients. I looked into Miracles Waiting but at my age I wasn't a "pretty candidate" and didn't get much response.A lot of States have different laws concerning embryo adoption from just requireing a notorized consent form signed to a full blown adoption. Check with a clinic in that state to verify first as alot of time and cost can go into the later.The other issue to consider is do how much contact you want with the donateing parents. I was always afraid of them someday showing up on my door step and introducing them selves to my child so I was never comfortable with an open adoption.A private adoption also involves a lot more expenses. The cost of legal contracts, shipping of the embryos and FDA testing of the donors.If you adopt from a clinic all identities stay anonyomous and you avoid alot of the administrative costs.

anonforthis
anonforthis

August 15th, 2012, 12:32 pm #3

I'm looking around at the option of donor embryos as I need a double donation. I've looked at Miracles Waiting and a clinic in Florida. The Florida clinic won't accept me as I don't meet their BMI requirement and Miracles Waiting don't have any African American embryos available.
Any other suggestions as to where I could look? I don't want to do embryo 'adoption'. Are there any forums where people who have completed their IVF cycles post re embryo donation? I'm feeling a bit lost, suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks ladies.
maybe check out pved.org (parents via egg donation) and talk to Marna in person.

August 15th, 2012, 2:56 pm #4

Thanks ladies.
Have you paid the fee to post on Miracles Waiting? Not all donors post. There might be someone who is waiting to read your recipient profile. Also, "embryo adoption" is a mis-used term. Embryos can only be donated - not sold or adopted. Watch out for the fees that are able to be charged and recovered though. I was very close to getting some embryos, but once the agency fee, attorney fees, reimbursement for storage, etc. was added up, it was almost as much as an IVF cycle. I've heard that it's hard to get on a list for embryos if you are not already a patient at a clinic, but it wouldn't hurt to call around to some of the bigger clinics.

August 15th, 2012, 3:04 pm #5

Thanks ladies.
http://www.infertility-ivf.com/

I had called all over the country and gotten on about 6 different waiting lists, none of which required up-front charges.

All told, including travel for a mock cycle, all meds, travel for transfer, and local monitoring, it was about $8000. I got on the waiting list in April, got to the top in August, mock cycled in October and did transfer early February. I have two children from the cycle. Hope this helps.

August 15th, 2012, 4:36 pm #6

Thanks ladies.
I had to use DE+DS, so I understand how that makes dembie look attractive, but I was older and needed to move along, so hanging out on waiting lists for a long time, plus the less attractive success rates that go along with FETs made me decide to do a fresh cycle overseas.

You might want to look into Barbados.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5361286.stm

South Africa would be an option, too, but I think it's substantially more than other overseas destinations these days.

And, of course, you can try lower cost U.S. clinics Shady Grove and CNY. I don't know how many African American donors CNY has being in Finger Lakes region of NY, but SG is next door to Washington, DC, and if they don't, it's not b/c they can't get them.

Best wishes!

Maggie (in VA)

Denise
Denise

August 15th, 2012, 5:22 pm #7

CNY has 6-8 AA available donors most are proven previous donors at this time. You can cycle for $6,000..

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

August 15th, 2012, 6:16 pm #8

As an AA looking for a donor with CNY at one time, they have a few that have "positive pregnancies," but thetrack records of these donors for teh most part are from not so good to horrible. When it came time to choose, I did not pick any of the so-called proven donors for this reason. You also can't tell from their bank whether a positive pregnancy resulted in an on-going pregnancy. I know of at least one AA person that did a cycle and her pregncnay is listed as a positive although she m/c'd shortly thereafter.

They do however have a nice selection of AA donors compared to many other programs.

anonforthis
anonforthis

August 15th, 2012, 7:37 pm #9

I had to use DE+DS, so I understand how that makes dembie look attractive, but I was older and needed to move along, so hanging out on waiting lists for a long time, plus the less attractive success rates that go along with FETs made me decide to do a fresh cycle overseas.

You might want to look into Barbados.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5361286.stm

South Africa would be an option, too, but I think it's substantially more than other overseas destinations these days.

And, of course, you can try lower cost U.S. clinics Shady Grove and CNY. I don't know how many African American donors CNY has being in Finger Lakes region of NY, but SG is next door to Washington, DC, and if they don't, it's not b/c they can't get them.

Best wishes!

Maggie (in VA)
It is quite expensive, though they do have a shared risk and shared donor plan.

hope2012
hope2012

August 15th, 2012, 10:25 pm #10

Thanks ladies.
Ladies, thank you so much for replying and your kind ideas.

Mary - I had not known of PVED - thank you will look at them.
RaineyCat - That is a good point you bring up about posting a wanted ad on Miracles Waiting. I will do that. I see too congratulations are in order!
Blessed Thistle - Congratulations on your babies. It is good to hear of success. Thank you also for the link.
Maggie - You raised things to consider I hadn't thought of. I am also excited to look at Barbados as an option.
Denise, Dee and Anon - Thanking you for your input re clinics for DE. It is good Dee to get a heads up from a lady who has looked for same.

I hope I can have success soon. This has been a long journey as it is for us all.