Does your preschool/daycare offer a "no nap" option for kids?

Does your preschool/daycare offer a "no nap" option for kids?

May 23rd, 2012, 8:35 pm #1

I am fairly certain my boys are ready to drop the afternoon nap. I've battled bedtime for weeks now, and the only time they go right to sleep is when they don't nap. If they take even a 45-min or 1 hr nap, it's 9:30-10 before they fall asleep (usual bedtime is 7:45-8). As much as I LOVE that break in the afternoon when they aren't in school, I'd much rather have more adult time at night. I love when they fall asleep around 8 and hubby and I then get to spend a few hrs together, or I can work in the garden until dark, or catch up on something that's needed.

I can control their not napping on days when the boys don't go to school, but their preschool still needs them to nap, or at least lie quietly. I talked to the director about the option of dropping the nap time altogether and she seems reluctant to do so. She's worried all the other kids will want to do the same, and then bedlam will occur. Apparently all the kids sleep, with the exception of my one son (who has never been a good napper). My other son will nap for 45 min/1 hr, but then just that little bit keeps him from being able to get to bed at a decent hour. I want them to be able to sit quietly in the back of the room, going through books, playing puzzles or blocks, or whatever as long as it's done quietly. I even suggested giving the school a portable DVD player for my boys to use to watch educational dvd's.

It isn't an option to put them to bed, shut the door and commence adult time. They call me upstairs any number of times for anything from big issues (poopy butt that needs to be wiped) to small ones (I dropped my car/truck/polar bear or I can't find such-and-such book or will you tuck me back in or mommy my stomach hurts (it doesn't really) or mommy scratch my back and it goes on for anywhere from 1 to 2 hrs. Drives me nuts.

So, what happens at your school with kids who are ready to not nap? Is there a space for kids to play/read quietly? I want to push the issue with our director, but don't want to if I'm really in the minority with my needs/wants. I understand the school needs to look at the kids as a whole and that every child's individual issue may not be able to dealt with, if it will affect the whole. I get that. But if I keep them in this school until they go to kindergarten, I don't want to be fighting bedtime for another year.

Thanks!

May 23rd, 2012, 9:02 pm #2

And the preschool I hope to get them into soon (when crazy McBoy is potty trained) doesn't let you opt out either. I talked to a lot of places and parents and no one has an opt out option for kids under 5 / kindergarten.

They do say Quiet time on their cot so they can have books but they have to be on their cot and yes that usually promotes a good nap. My kids nap 1hr max when home with us or nanny and its 2hrs at school. 2 HOURS! So on those days bedtime isn't 8:15 but 8;30 and they yap and talk and mess around until 9pm. On the weekends we do so much with them by 8pm they are often tired even with an hour nap.

I have however starting this week gotten the twins up 15min earlier before daycare days. I will do it another 15min earlier next week for 30 min earlier to see if this helps. I sadly get up earlier too but find they also like the "veg" with cartoon for 10 min before immediately going from bed - potty - to dressed - to wash face - to car etc. They battled me way less the last two days and I find I am less stressed without all their crying and begging to not get up. DH said they went to bed easy last night (I was away) and I will see how it goes tonight.

I am in the same boat, transitions are hard on them and us!

May 23rd, 2012, 9:18 pm #3

I am fairly certain my boys are ready to drop the afternoon nap. I've battled bedtime for weeks now, and the only time they go right to sleep is when they don't nap. If they take even a 45-min or 1 hr nap, it's 9:30-10 before they fall asleep (usual bedtime is 7:45-8). As much as I LOVE that break in the afternoon when they aren't in school, I'd much rather have more adult time at night. I love when they fall asleep around 8 and hubby and I then get to spend a few hrs together, or I can work in the garden until dark, or catch up on something that's needed.

I can control their not napping on days when the boys don't go to school, but their preschool still needs them to nap, or at least lie quietly. I talked to the director about the option of dropping the nap time altogether and she seems reluctant to do so. She's worried all the other kids will want to do the same, and then bedlam will occur. Apparently all the kids sleep, with the exception of my one son (who has never been a good napper). My other son will nap for 45 min/1 hr, but then just that little bit keeps him from being able to get to bed at a decent hour. I want them to be able to sit quietly in the back of the room, going through books, playing puzzles or blocks, or whatever as long as it's done quietly. I even suggested giving the school a portable DVD player for my boys to use to watch educational dvd's.

It isn't an option to put them to bed, shut the door and commence adult time. They call me upstairs any number of times for anything from big issues (poopy butt that needs to be wiped) to small ones (I dropped my car/truck/polar bear or I can't find such-and-such book or will you tuck me back in or mommy my stomach hurts (it doesn't really) or mommy scratch my back and it goes on for anywhere from 1 to 2 hrs. Drives me nuts.

So, what happens at your school with kids who are ready to not nap? Is there a space for kids to play/read quietly? I want to push the issue with our director, but don't want to if I'm really in the minority with my needs/wants. I understand the school needs to look at the kids as a whole and that every child's individual issue may not be able to dealt with, if it will affect the whole. I get that. But if I keep them in this school until they go to kindergarten, I don't want to be fighting bedtime for another year.

Thanks!

In both the 3 and 4 yr. old classrooms (which are the oldest kids at this daycare), they nap for 2 hours. the rule is that they have to try to sleep for 1/2hr to 45 minutes. If they are still not asleep at that time, they can read a book or do puzzles, but they must stay on their mat during this time. DS is goint to a pre-K next year, which only has a 1/2 hour quiet time, but that's due to a shorter day (teacher leaves at 2pm). got to run.

May 23rd, 2012, 9:55 pm #4

Thanks!

state regulations. Or at the very least "quiet time"

May 23rd, 2012, 10:19 pm #5

Thanks!

They get "quiet time" on a cot, and I've asked if he falls asleep to not let him sleep more than a half hour. Any more than a half hour and we end up with the same monkey business you deal with, trying to get the ball to sleep at night! On the days we have him, we do the same thing you do: try to keep him up without exhausting him (a fine balance) so that we can have an evening together. Of course it's all relative since the puff's arrival, but that's another story

Anyhow, could you ask them to wake your kiddos after a certain amount of time?

May 24th, 2012, 1:04 am #6

And the preschool I hope to get them into soon (when crazy McBoy is potty trained) doesn't let you opt out either. I talked to a lot of places and parents and no one has an opt out option for kids under 5 / kindergarten.

They do say Quiet time on their cot so they can have books but they have to be on their cot and yes that usually promotes a good nap. My kids nap 1hr max when home with us or nanny and its 2hrs at school. 2 HOURS! So on those days bedtime isn't 8:15 but 8;30 and they yap and talk and mess around until 9pm. On the weekends we do so much with them by 8pm they are often tired even with an hour nap.

I have however starting this week gotten the twins up 15min earlier before daycare days. I will do it another 15min earlier next week for 30 min earlier to see if this helps. I sadly get up earlier too but find they also like the "veg" with cartoon for 10 min before immediately going from bed - potty - to dressed - to wash face - to car etc. They battled me way less the last two days and I find I am less stressed without all their crying and begging to not get up. DH said they went to bed easy last night (I was away) and I will see how it goes tonight.

I am in the same boat, transitions are hard on them and us!
I was sitting at my desk today, beating my brain for ideas for what to do. Came up w/the idea of getting them up earlier...but of course, that means I have to get up, too. Or DH and hell will freeze over first. That guy is NOT a morning person. IDK, these kids should come with a user manual, hmmm?????

May 24th, 2012, 1:06 am #7

In both the 3 and 4 yr. old classrooms (which are the oldest kids at this daycare), they nap for 2 hours. the rule is that they have to try to sleep for 1/2hr to 45 minutes. If they are still not asleep at that time, they can read a book or do puzzles, but they must stay on their mat during this time. DS is goint to a pre-K next year, which only has a 1/2 hour quiet time, but that's due to a shorter day (teacher leaves at 2pm). got to run.
my boys just do better up and active, even "quiet" activity is better for them. I've decided to drop the topic for now, but I'm not sure how this is gonna play out for another whole year. Thanks, Laura.

May 24th, 2012, 1:14 am #8

state regulations. Or at the very least "quiet time"
rest. They can't force the kids to sleep, but they can make them lie down for quiet time. I don't know what to do. Today they were home, so I didn't have them nap after lunch (but we did a short period of quiet time, reading books, then outside for lots of afternoon play. They were asleep by 7:45. Love it!

May 24th, 2012, 1:21 am #9

Thanks!

At ds' preschool, nap is optional. You put them on a list if you want them to nap. Otherwise there's no nap. It's a large preschool & actually offers kindergarten & 1st grade, plus it is open from 7:30 to 5:30 for working parents. Maybe b/c of the large size & diverse ages?? Not sure, but nap or no nap is up to the parents, although they will send a kid for a nap if he or she is falling asleep.

At the daycare we used, no, but kids move on from there at around 3.

May 24th, 2012, 1:25 am #10

They get "quiet time" on a cot, and I've asked if he falls asleep to not let him sleep more than a half hour. Any more than a half hour and we end up with the same monkey business you deal with, trying to get the ball to sleep at night! On the days we have him, we do the same thing you do: try to keep him up without exhausting him (a fine balance) so that we can have an evening together. Of course it's all relative since the puff's arrival, but that's another story

Anyhow, could you ask them to wake your kiddos after a certain amount of time?

My one son won't nap at all, so he just lies there bored until the other kids get up. My other son will gladly nap, but then he plays non-stop like a herd of buffalo all night until he passes out somewhere around 9:30 or later. And consequently keeps his twin up. Crazy kids. A few weeks ago I limited the nap to an hour at home and things were still bad. Then cut it off at 45 min, still bad. Dropped it altogether and it was GREAT. I never tried 1/2 hr. Think I'll ask them at school tomorrow, if that can be the limit. I know he'll be grumpy if woken, but I don't know what else to do. I feel like I don't have ANY time at night to do anything, and then start to crash around 10. SIGH.

Thanks, Cotton! Hope Miss Puff is doing well.

Oh & this is a little late in saying, but I wanted to mention that I think of you ALL the time, almost every morning, when driving to preschool. LOVE not having a nanny in the house. We were lucky to be able to have that situation for a few yrs, it kept the boys at home so that I could work and still hug, kiss and cuddle whenever I wanted...what's not to love about THAT? But I hated having someone in my home each day, it was a real hassle and something I grew to resent. This is SO much better. Boys are in preschool 3 full days, then home 2 full days, either with me or a sitter if I have enough work to warrant one. Thanks for all the help & support you gave me during that time. I really appreciate you telling me about your situation and how it worked out for you. Hearing about you, helped me figure out what I needed to do for me. xo