Does everything have to go according to protocol?????

Does everything have to go according to protocol?????

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 10th, 2011, 9:27 pm #1

It seems that my RE wants 14 days of estrace to prep lining but if I do that it would lead me into a transfer on a day where dh cannot get off from work if I just do one day less 13 day estrace prep dh would be able to be there with me on transfer....the donor/nurse said it is up to me BUT that is NOT what the RE is recommending!!!!!!!! and if I don't get preg. or m/c I may just have Needed that extra day prep....

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 10th, 2011, 11:23 pm #2

Your RE is trying to match your lining and progesterone levels to the age of the embryo for the optimum chances of implantation happening after transfer. If your DH is there with you, will it lower your stress a great deal? If your DH is NOT there, will it increase your stress a great deal?

If your embryo does not implant after you have shifted transfer a day, will you be angry with your choices?

For me it was all about chemistry and science- luck was never on my side. If you are stressed out of your mind at transfer that could make a difference...follow your gut, I am pretty sure you know what to do.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 10th, 2011, 11:54 pm #3

it is the stress that everyone is putting on me...I have always gone for a u/s lining check at 12 days of estrace prep. my lining as always cooperated and was in the proper place for transfer BUT what RE is trying to say is that standard protocol is 14 days of estrace lining prep. No matter if my lining is ready to go after 12 days of estrace...my gut says compromise if not 12 days the way I want & not 14 days the way RE wants go in the middle at 13 days of estrace...

by the way if dh isn't there with me I most likely will have to postpone/cancel this cycle since we have to travel and dh & I are keeping ttc our private business.

Thank you for your response

February 11th, 2011, 12:22 am #4

I guess they need his sperm, nothing frozen on deposit there.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 11th, 2011, 12:39 am #5

we are doing donor everything...but the problem is, DH really wants to be there with me, also I don't have anyone to take me home after transfer and I really don't want to drive the 3 hours home or there by myself... No family or friends know what we are doing or going through we are keeping very quiet.

February 11th, 2011, 1:18 am #6

I am getting the feeling that you really need him and that this would be a bit overwhelming without him. Only you know what you can do.

February 11th, 2011, 1:47 am #7

It seems that my RE wants 14 days of estrace to prep lining but if I do that it would lead me into a transfer on a day where dh cannot get off from work if I just do one day less 13 day estrace prep dh would be able to be there with me on transfer....the donor/nurse said it is up to me BUT that is NOT what the RE is recommending!!!!!!!! and if I don't get preg. or m/c I may just have Needed that extra day prep....

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You know, in that case, I'd really suggest driving and staying the night before and after at a hotel. I know it's a disappointment to you and DH for him not to be there, but it's better to be in the vicinity of the clinic on transfer day. Even if DH were with you, what if your car broke down on the way to or from the clinic? If you travel the day before, you still have time to get to the clinic. If you have the cash (and I know how stressful this is financially), maybe you could get a facial or a massage the night before to help you relax.

You know, there was a study done showing that when any other family member than the family pet comes into the room, our blood pressure goes up. As much as you love DH, you may actually be more relaxed if you're on your own.

Sorry you're having to make this tough decision. Remember, it's not just about your lining, but as Aufrecht says, the age of the embryo when it's transferred.

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)

February 11th, 2011, 7:23 am #8

Oh yikes- I had not thought about that- you are right. As sketchy and bad as the weather has been it is a good idea to spend the night. Being calm and relaxed after transfer is important I think- for some women that is bedrest, for some it means DH standing by, for some it means a valium at transfer, for some it means walking around and going out for a leisurely meal. Whatever works best for you. I always took a long daytime nap after transfers so to each her own.

February 11th, 2011, 12:11 pm #9

it is the stress that everyone is putting on me...I have always gone for a u/s lining check at 12 days of estrace prep. my lining as always cooperated and was in the proper place for transfer BUT what RE is trying to say is that standard protocol is 14 days of estrace lining prep. No matter if my lining is ready to go after 12 days of estrace...my gut says compromise if not 12 days the way I want & not 14 days the way RE wants go in the middle at 13 days of estrace...

by the way if dh isn't there with me I most likely will have to postpone/cancel this cycle since we have to travel and dh & I are keeping ttc our private business.

Thank you for your response
I just wanted to say that you CAN do this alone. DH and I had to travel abroad every time we tried and we needed a lot of tries before we had success. DE is illegal where we live so it was a big deal to do it. We finally had success on a cycle where I went alone. I stayed in a hotel, flew home the next day, and LIED to a neighbor who picked me up from the airport about what I was doing abroad. (DH was on a business trip so I didn't see him for almost a week after transfer.)

One warning, though: If you've never taken progesterone before, it makes some women (like me) really sleepy. Driving 3 hours might be hard in that case.

I certainly wouldn't cancel if I were you. Hoping you find success.

February 11th, 2011, 3:58 pm #10

I side-swiped my own husband's car I was so groggy during my 2ww. Is there any public transportation from your home to the clinic city? But, as long as you're aware that it might make you groggy and you take breaks, you'll probably be fine. And I let myself have one cup of real tea with caffeine a day in my 2ww and I still got pg. After all, most of work (and commute) through our 2ww.

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)