Does estrogen prevent ovulation in a natural FET?

Does estrogen prevent ovulation in a natural FET?

bethphx
bethphx

March 21st, 2011, 3:43 am #1

Doing a natural FET without Lupron and no estrogen so far but if my lining is borderline we may add some estrogen- would that prevent ovulation if we only started it a few days before? Or is it only in high doses that it prevents ovulation?

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 21st, 2011, 2:47 pm #2

If your follicle is already big and near mature you will probably ovulate right thru
and still do a natural FET. What day are you and what did your u/s show as far as lining and follicle size?

bethphx
bethphx

March 21st, 2011, 10:36 pm #3

I have one dominant follie on both sides - one 16mm and one15mm- using OPKs with no surge yet- lining only 5 mm. Only 3rd week off lupron from cancelled fresh- would that still inhibit ovulation? I stopped bleeding last Tuesday so am thinking I have a few more days before o. maybe lining will grow a lot this week? Hoping so... or will wait for next cycle and do as much estrogen as I can!

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 22nd, 2011, 12:20 am #4

A 16 and a 15 mm are really good without using stims! What was your E2 and what day are you? Sometimes E2 soars and doubles when the follicles get bigger, and some women don't surge until their follicles get larger (like 20). On the Over 40 ttc board a poster recently monitored a natural cycle and didn't surge until follicle was 20+

bethphx
bethphx

March 22nd, 2011, 12:48 am #5

But I had a 10 day period- light- but still 10 days of bleeding after Provera when my fresh was cancelled due to lining...So RE wanted to just start Provera then start E2 again with my period but I wanted to take a break from the hormones and see what my body would do naturally because I have had lining issues. So I have no idea if ovulation will be delayed- am assuming so since I had 10 day period but it doesn't seem like my lining is doing much. Although I have never monitored it during a natural cycle- it did get to a 9mm with vaginal estrace during 1 mock but then regressed to 6.5 three days later...we have not checked E2 yet as we are not going to transfer unless the lkining looks good so I figured what is the point? My other question is if I add a little vaginal Estrace for the next few days to get my lining up and see if we can transfer this cycle- would that mess things up- wouldit prevent ovulation? Thanks I will check out the other boards too!

Hope2009
Hope2009

March 22nd, 2011, 2:38 am #6

Doing a natural FET without Lupron and no estrogen so far but if my lining is borderline we may add some estrogen- would that prevent ovulation if we only started it a few days before? Or is it only in high doses that it prevents ovulation?
although we did use estrace from day 2 and I had a fantastic lining...my best yet...a 12 ts..and 14 in some parts of my uterus. The dose was higher than I normally would have when using lupron and it did thankfully...my worry suppress my ovulation. I don't think I would have done a natural cycle without estrace though since we had to travel to our clinic and it was a big deal...I did't want to blow the whole cycyle by oing on my own.

On that FET we conceived our twins I'm currently pg with...good luck...I'm not a believer in natural FET's.

Blessings from Hope

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 22nd, 2011, 2:52 am #7

But I had a 10 day period- light- but still 10 days of bleeding after Provera when my fresh was cancelled due to lining...So RE wanted to just start Provera then start E2 again with my period but I wanted to take a break from the hormones and see what my body would do naturally because I have had lining issues. So I have no idea if ovulation will be delayed- am assuming so since I had 10 day period but it doesn't seem like my lining is doing much. Although I have never monitored it during a natural cycle- it did get to a 9mm with vaginal estrace during 1 mock but then regressed to 6.5 three days later...we have not checked E2 yet as we are not going to transfer unless the lkining looks good so I figured what is the point? My other question is if I add a little vaginal Estrace for the next few days to get my lining up and see if we can transfer this cycle- would that mess things up- wouldit prevent ovulation? Thanks I will check out the other boards too!
On the over-40 board search for "babydance", she was surprised at how her natural cycle worked when tracked and how high her E2 got when she was left to ovulate on her own. I don't know how much a lining can grow in a couple days but hope you make it to 8mm

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 22nd, 2011, 3:35 am #8

although we did use estrace from day 2 and I had a fantastic lining...my best yet...a 12 ts..and 14 in some parts of my uterus. The dose was higher than I normally would have when using lupron and it did thankfully...my worry suppress my ovulation. I don't think I would have done a natural cycle without estrace though since we had to travel to our clinic and it was a big deal...I did't want to blow the whole cycyle by oing on my own.

On that FET we conceived our twins I'm currently pg with...good luck...I'm not a believer in natural FET's.

Blessings from Hope
Completely different than what OP is doing, I want to clear up some confusion for anyone reading.

She is doing a natural FET, which means they let her grow her own follicle(s). It is a wonderful option. NO estrogen on cd2, just normal ovarian activity. On a natural cycle she grows her lining from her own estrogen like normal, she ovulates as normal and creates progesterone, the embryos are transferred on day 3 or 5 after ovulation. She develops a corpus luteum that generates progesterone just like in any month. Clinic has to keep very close watch on her and be ready to work around her egg(s). And yes there is always a chance that her egg becomes a baby in addition to the DE embryo transferred at the perfect time. No OB would ever guess she did not get pg the old fashioned way since she will have a functioning corpus luteum on her ultrasounds

Your type of FET was a normal medicated FET cycle, not a natural cycle. Ovulation was totally suppressed by estrace, ovaries remain quiet. Lining comes from supplemental estrogen only, not from ovaries or follicles. There is no ovulation, no estrogen, no corpus luteum, no progesterone created from the body, all is from outside sources. Timing can be controlled by the clinic, depending on when they want to schedule a transfer and initiate progesterone. The only thing omitted from your FET was lupron, but that is commonplace for medicated FETs.

The OP might get a little extra progesterone support (in addition to her natural), it is how some of the gals on the over-40 board do their natural or IUI cycles. Theoretically someone could get pg from a natural FET transfer and take absolutely nothing, letting their ovaries churn out everything needed until placenta takes over.

You truly do not see many natural FET DE cycles done because it is harder for the clinic and patient to monitor constantly for natural ovulation. I have done both a natural FET like hers and a medicated FET like yours.

March 22nd, 2011, 6:42 am #9

I took 2 a day and then upped to 3 a day a week before transfer.

I ovulated through it and they were very shocked. They said it almost never happens.

bethphx
bethphx

March 22nd, 2011, 4:12 pm #10

On the over-40 board search for "babydance", she was surprised at how her natural cycle worked when tracked and how high her E2 got when she was left to ovulate on her own. I don't know how much a lining can grow in a couple days but hope you make it to 8mm
As I have heard sometimes it lasts less than 24 hours...I am just thinking that ovulation will be delayed because of the longer period? Usually I am a Day 14 on the dot ovulater...now we are on Day 15 ond no surge yet...If my lining doesn't change and I don't O, I am wondering if I should just add a little exta estace now to see if my lining will grow a bit. Otherwise will just start estrace at beginning of net cycle to try to get the lining thicker. I would be happy wuth 7mm- by lining struggled from 5-6 last cycle. I was just hoping that my lining would be better on its own since I have been pregnant on my own before. I was thinking maybe I didn't respond well to synthetic estrogen. Maybe I need to give it another cycle- this is just the first one off meds and it is not back to "normal" yet....thanks for your replies!