Did you do a medicated or non-medicated FET?

Did you do a medicated or non-medicated FET?

Anon
Anon

May 25th, 2012, 8:41 pm #1

What do you think is better for ladies in their 40s?
Thanks

thesameboat
thesameboat

May 25th, 2012, 8:45 pm #2

I suspect it might be difficult to do a non-medicated in your 40s unless your cycles are unusually regular and you ovulate every month. That's certainly not the case for me. Medicated was the only way to go. I did a mock cycle first because I hadn't had a period in almost a year. (THAT came about suddenly.) And about 2 months later I had my FET.

Best of luck to you.

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

May 25th, 2012, 8:54 pm #3

Thanks
I liked having control of the timing since I am irregular and was traveling. If I had been doing a local cycle, I MIGHT have considered building my own lining, since I do fine there, and having some support for the luteal phase. But for travel, meds were the only way to go.

Anon
Anon

May 25th, 2012, 9:07 pm #4

Thanks for your help

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

May 26th, 2012, 3:13 am #5

Thanks
Hi,

I once did a natural FET. It was the best fertility procedure that I've ever done. However, you must have a regular cycle and ovulate regularly in order to do it. It's kind of a misnomer to say that it's natural however because you still must take estrogen and progesterone. If I'm not mistaken, I think I also took a trigger shot. If your cycles are regular and your doctor is willing to do it, I think it's a good thing to do.

thesameboat
thesameboat

May 26th, 2012, 4:24 am #6

Thanks for your help
I didn't take it on any of the cycles where I got a bfp. I don't think it preventes bfps, but it seemed to oversurpress me. I had migraines and hot flashes and my period would be very, very messed up for 2-3 months afterwards. I did take it my first 5 times, but hated it.

You can take birth control pills to get your period to come at the right time. That also keeps you from ovulating. I don't know why REs don't all give us that instead of Lupron.

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 26th, 2012, 5:04 am #7

Thanks
They are not done very often but certainly possible (I tried one!), involves tracking your cycle and pinpointing natural ovulation, then having the embryo transfer 3 or 5 days later. The estrogen to build the lining comes from your follicle (like any normal month), then the progesterone to convert lining and sustain early pregnancy comes from your corpus luteum (like any normal month). That means no meds at all (!) but a whole lot of monitoring to catch natural ovulation to get the transfer timing right, hoping that you ovulate at a good time and hoping the clinic will be available at the exact hour you need the embryos put in.

The alternative common, easy, fast way to do FETs is using some meds: patient takes an estrogen to suppress ovaries and build a lining, then takes a progesterone to convert the lining and sustain early pg. But this is NOT a "natural" or "unmedicated" cycle because the ovaries are suppressed, no estrogen or progesterone coming from the patient, all hormones from the meds. It is very easy on the patient, not much monitoring, no long term meds (only takes @ 2-3 weeks from start to transfer), very easy to schedule transfer. Usually the estrogen is enough to suppress, but if not the patient has to start over and take lupron too to shut down ovaries.

May 26th, 2012, 12:16 pm #8

You can also do an antagonist suppression instead of agonist. I have done this kind of FET similar to the above but with Ganirelix added in toward the end, the next will be a Lupron FET, and I would be more than happy to do an unmedicated or partially supported FET if I didn't have lining concerns that I wanted addressed. Good luck with your decision.

May 26th, 2012, 12:54 pm #9

Thanks
I have done two FETs, both medicated.  One was a BFN and one was a BFP.  I was over 40 for both.  I have no idea which is better-I just went with what my dr advised.  I have been lucky enough to never have any lining problems so I am not sure if you have any particular issues that one is better than another.  I do not think though that your age has much to do with it (unless with aging your lining is not as good as it once was etc).  Good luck.

Pandora

Ariadne
Ariadne

May 26th, 2012, 2:07 pm #10

Thanks
I loved them & it was easy. It only required 2 REs appts. 1 next-day appt. to confirm after I caught my lh surge on an opk & 1 appt. for transfer.

I did a trigger shot after an u/s & blood work confirmed the surge & I did use e2/p4 supps., I believe after transfer. I can't remember for sure about the supps. It could've been after my u/s & blood work appt.