Decided on the serial endometrial biopsies- yikes! How bad are they?

Decided on the serial endometrial biopsies- yikes! How bad are they?

bethphx
bethphx

June 14th, 2011, 1:26 am #1

Well I decided to do the 3 endometrial biopsies the cycle before my FET in hopes of improving my lining and also many studies on improving implantation. Many clinics are starting to do this routinely or if a patient has a failed previous cycle. My RE was recommended a gentle D&C- same concept- to stir up lining- but I feel more comfortable with this. He thinks I am crazy but I do not want to be asleep and I feel there is more chance for uterine scarring. I am a bit nervous though. I have had an IUD insertion (piece of cake) and hysteroscopy- very painful for 45 seconds- then I was fine. How does this compare? I am excited to see if it helps a bit....

June 14th, 2011, 2:28 am #2

what hurt the most in order were...

1) sonohysterogram #2. HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL THAT THING HURT. I was actually begging the doctor to stop, I was in so much pain.

2) the HSGs - 3 of them.

3) the IUI where it felt like they were trying to bore through the top of my uterus.

4) The first two hysteroscopies

5) The endometrial biopsy. It was a hard pinch but very bearable.

6) The third hysteroscopy. Nothing injected into my cervix to numb it as I'd had the first time but it did not hurt at all;

7) The first sonohysterogram was also very easy.

8) Most of my endless IUIs were very easy as well. Embryo transfers too.

Hope this helps encourage you a bit. I know I am only one woman but have had a few people poking about in there.

pixl
pixl

June 14th, 2011, 3:08 am #3

I'll give mine, starting from most painful:

1. D&C while awake (had IV pain meds and sedation but it didn't help much)

2. Tie between my 2nd HSG and hysteroscopy (way up there in pain too, thought I would pass out)

3. Saline sonogram (pretty painful for me, I don't think this is typical)

4. 1st HSG (took 3 advil beforehand, wasn't fun but not bad at all)

5. Endo biopsy (had an IM shot of Toradol 15 min before the procedure - its like a stronger, injectable version of advil. Was bracing for the worst as there are some horror stories out on the web, but it was a piece of cake. It was very quick, and when it was over I asked, "Was that it?" I thought it was going to hurt alot more. You could ask your clinic about Toradol, or else load up on Advil beforehand)

bethphx
bethphx

June 14th, 2011, 3:48 am #4

what hurt the most in order were...

1) sonohysterogram #2. HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL THAT THING HURT. I was actually begging the doctor to stop, I was in so much pain.

2) the HSGs - 3 of them.

3) the IUI where it felt like they were trying to bore through the top of my uterus.

4) The first two hysteroscopies

5) The endometrial biopsy. It was a hard pinch but very bearable.

6) The third hysteroscopy. Nothing injected into my cervix to numb it as I'd had the first time but it did not hurt at all;

7) The first sonohysterogram was also very easy.

8) Most of my endless IUIs were very easy as well. Embryo transfers too.

Hope this helps encourage you a bit. I know I am only one woman but have had a few people poking about in there.
Wow- you have been through a lot of procedures! Isn't it weird how the same procedure can feel so different each time? Like your HSG's - one horrid and the other ok. I gigure if I can take the hysteroscopy this can't really be worse...