DE clinics

Weeble
Weeble

January 25th, 2014, 2:03 am #1

Any thoughts on good DE clinics in the North Eastern United States?

Mimi
Mimi

January 25th, 2014, 7:51 pm #2

...are both in New Jersey: RMA-NJ in Morristown, and IVF-NJ in Somerset. They both have DE success rates of about 71% for fresh. RMA-NJ has average frozen success rates (mid-30s), while IVF-NJ has decent frozen success rates (mid-40s). They're both within about 40 miles of New York City.

LupronCowgirl
LupronCowgirl

January 25th, 2014, 11:10 pm #3

Mimi is right about the NJ clinics having the highest stats. Cornell and NYU in NYC both have strong success rates, but their in-house donors are all anonymous and the wait is long and they choose for you (though you can reject their choice, certainly.) You can bring your own agency donor if you wish, however. I find their prices pretty unreasonable for what you get--no guarantee options, long wait, no adult pix of donors, etc. Just not for me. But others here have been happy with them, certainly.

A few gals here had great experiences with Dr. Tororiello at SIRM in Manhattan for DE, but you have to find your own agency donor--they don't have an in-house donor pool.

Lots of board ladies go with the guarantee program at Shady Grove, but their donor pools for fresh DE and frozen DE are a little limited (and all anonymous). You can see adult photos of donors, however, which is a plus to some women. Granted, their success rates aren't top-of-the-line, but they are very good, and for those of us on a budget and those of us at the end of the fertility rope, the reasonably priced guarantee program is tremendously reassuring! You get, I think, up to six cycles of DE IVF for a flat fee, or your money back (of course, if you succeed before Round Six, you're considered paid up/the guarantee met).

I went with GIVF in Virginia, using their relatively new frozen donor egg guarantee program. (The guarantee was $17k for a single-round of DE IVF, with a guarantee of two good embryos to transfer). It's "anonymous" in the sense that I don't know her identity or have a means of contacting her in the future, but I could see multiple adult photos of the donor, plus childhood pix, and a very in-depth profile, including a recorded audio interview. I found the perfect donor for me, and while the first cycle didn't work, the doctor admitted the embryos were not good, per their specs, and she offered me a second batch of frozen eggs from the same donor for the cost of the transfer/meds (about 4k). I was pleased with their willingness to honor their guarantee, and transferred the best of the 3 5-day embryos we got out of the lot of six frozen eggs, and now I'm 20 weeks pregnant with a little girl.

So, there are some options. Not sure what your needs are, exactly, but I hope this helps.

Mimi
Mimi

January 27th, 2014, 12:17 am #4

You have a wealth of knowledge, Lupron Cowgirl! Great stuff, and congratz on your pregnancy.

LupronCowgirl
LupronCowgirl

January 27th, 2014, 3:19 am #5

Your big stack of NorthEast clinic stats has been so helpful! I'm merely reciting the basics that I've learned on this board.

January 27th, 2014, 10:28 pm #6

I'm so glad you asked about this since I've been thinking about it as well.

Mimi's research is far more thorough than mine in terms of the entire East Coast. However I have used her recommendations and those top clinic's data when reviewing Boston clinics. I wasn't much for the travel or some of the donor restrictions I found with some of those programs. In my review in Boston both Brigham & Womens and Boston IVF were competitive. I think both might be a bit more expensive though. Since I'm insured in MA it makes sense for me to cycle here.

Last week I challenged the stats provided at my donor consult at Boston IVF with the program director and my RE. Boston IVF claims a success rate of 70% for fresh DE cycles. Since mine failed I spent more time looking at the data I had vs. what is reported at SART and I worried they falsely characterized their success. I found out that what they are citing in the donor seminars is data available since they improved their DE program technology and review process. This was about 18 months ago. They claim that since they made significant changes they have a 70% success rate for fresh DE cycles with 2 embryos transfered. We walked through it all and it was pretty convincing. They talked about improvements in their screenings and practices. BIVF would let family members donate even if over 35 and they changed that policy. They also are counseling intended parents to seek donors over 25 because their data strongly suggests better egg quality. Anyway- I'm still not totally convinced they're as fab as the data but I do like them and they have done everything I've asked and I have 4 friends who have had tough cases be successful with them. I like how they monitored my donor. And the lab and embryologists is excellent. An embryologist friend at Cornell is a big fan of their team so I feel good about it. I'd be feeling GREAT about my choice if it had worked by now but I'm trying to reel in the panic and doubt.

I would recommend you think long and hard about how much a guarantee matters to you. I don't see DE actually too often the first time. Almost everyone I know who's done it needed 2 cycles. I don't know anyone, other than women on this board, who have needed more than 2 cycles. Now that I'm close to doing my second DE cycle I'm terrified that it won't work and I should have gone guarantee. Once you hit that 3rd cycle the guarantee pays off. Praying that all of us have our dreams come true on our next cycle. This battle stinks. Boston IVF's guarantee program is for frozen only and success rate is 50%.

Last edited by GeminiWW on January 27th, 2014, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delurker7
delurker7

February 1st, 2014, 5:58 pm #7

After going to different places...Shady Grove worked for me...that is after a surgeon found that fibroids were causing most of the heck I was going/went through. They really know there stuff. Hope you do not have to wait as long as I did to find the right formula!