Czech clinics?

Czech clinics?

Anonymous Lurker
Anonymous Lurker

February 20th, 2013, 3:05 am #1

DE is something we are looking at - I have OE children and want another. I am caucasion - blonde, green eyed. DH is mixed - Caucasian and AA - brown fro and hazel gold eyes.

I think I would find someone close to my looks in the Czech Republic and its more affordable -

I am curious about one cycle success and where - Reprofit?
Frozen eggs opposed to Fresh eggs - this is better for our schedules,so interested in frozen
Do they try to match the donor to the recipient via photos since we can see them? My DS looks EXACTLY like me, but DD is a mix of her daddy and me.

What can we expect to pay - I figure around 10K including travel is that reasonable?

thesameboat
thesameboat

February 20th, 2013, 6:58 am #2

but not Pronatal. Had a bad experience there, but Zlin was very different. It still took several tries but that was due to my immune issues and not the clinic.

February 20th, 2013, 11:56 am #3

DE is something we are looking at - I have OE children and want another. I am caucasion - blonde, green eyed. DH is mixed - Caucasian and AA - brown fro and hazel gold eyes.

I think I would find someone close to my looks in the Czech Republic and its more affordable -

Frozen eggs opposed to Fresh eggs - this is better for our schedules,so interested in frozen
Do they try to match the donor to the recipient via photos since we can see them? My DS looks EXACTLY like me, but DD is a mix of her daddy and me.

What can we expect to pay - I figure around 10K including travel is that reasonable?
I have twins from a 2009 cycle at CRM Zlin. I do not think Zlin, at least, is doing vitrified eggs yet; interesting question, but since I still hang out on the Zlin support forum, ivfzlin.ning.com, I would think someone would have mentioned it.

My 2009 cycles cost me about $9K each including travel, so $10K is probably about right. You do not got significant donor information, but you can submit a wish list of characteristics you would like and photos of yourself.

There are a lot of Czech clinics, and if you go to fertilityfriends.co.uk, you can find out about others. Reprofit is CRM Zlin's sister clinic, and it mostly serves UK women; there are non-stop, inexpensive flights from London to Brno (but that doesn't help U.S. women as the transfer to Stansted would be lengthy).

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)

ETA: Hi, Anonymous Lurker, I noticed that you specifically asked about one cycle success. That's going to be a little harder to suss out, because a lot of the women going to Zlin have long histories of IF issues. I can say that I had no IF issues except for AMA (well, almost: it turned out I had some banding when they did a saline hysterosonogram at the U.S. clinic where I started, and that was surgically corrected) and succeeded on the second cycle, but there's more to it than that.

My first cycle, I made a mistake in thinking that if I did not express a preference for blood type, the clinic would consider all blood types. No, they tried to match both my donors (needed to use DS) to my type (despite multiple surgical procedures where he surely would have found out, DH did not know his blood type), which is O- and only about 7% of the population (actually, I think it's less in central Europe). So, that was probably a fatal error caused by my assumptions, which I didn't even really think about at the time. Second cycle, I was so paranoid that I actually gave the most common blood type for central Europe as DH's type rather than just say it didn't matter and put proven donors at the top of my wish list.

Finally, one of the donor coordinators at Zlin went to a new clinic in Bratislava, Slovakiahttp://www.gynfiv.sk/en/infertility_tre ... en_embryo/. They claim to have a procedure that gets their success rates up to 70%, and their prices are comparable to Czech clinics if I'm remembering correctly. It sounds as though you're probably still pretty young, but bear in mind that the age cutoff for that clinic is 46.

GL! M.

Last edited by maggie1961 on February 20th, 2013, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lisa
Lisa

February 20th, 2013, 1:23 pm #4

Hi there,

I'm starting my first cycle in Prague called "Europe IVF" and I am travelling from Ireland. My cycle is costing 6,000.

Heading to Prague next Monday to give sperm for freezing and then back in April 9th for ET.

February 20th, 2013, 3:24 pm #5

Just wanted to clarify for the OP. Thx, Maggie (in VA)

February 20th, 2013, 3:51 pm #6

I have twins from a 2009 cycle at CRM Zlin. I do not think Zlin, at least, is doing vitrified eggs yet; interesting question, but since I still hang out on the Zlin support forum, ivfzlin.ning.com, I would think someone would have mentioned it.

My 2009 cycles cost me about $9K each including travel, so $10K is probably about right. You do not got significant donor information, but you can submit a wish list of characteristics you would like and photos of yourself.

There are a lot of Czech clinics, and if you go to fertilityfriends.co.uk, you can find out about others. Reprofit is CRM Zlin's sister clinic, and it mostly serves UK women; there are non-stop, inexpensive flights from London to Brno (but that doesn't help U.S. women as the transfer to Stansted would be lengthy).

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)

ETA: Hi, Anonymous Lurker, I noticed that you specifically asked about one cycle success. That's going to be a little harder to suss out, because a lot of the women going to Zlin have long histories of IF issues. I can say that I had no IF issues except for AMA (well, almost: it turned out I had some banding when they did a saline hysterosonogram at the U.S. clinic where I started, and that was surgically corrected) and succeeded on the second cycle, but there's more to it than that.

My first cycle, I made a mistake in thinking that if I did not express a preference for blood type, the clinic would consider all blood types. No, they tried to match both my donors (needed to use DS) to my type (despite multiple surgical procedures where he surely would have found out, DH did not know his blood type), which is O- and only about 7% of the population (actually, I think it's less in central Europe). So, that was probably a fatal error caused by my assumptions, which I didn't even really think about at the time. Second cycle, I was so paranoid that I actually gave the most common blood type for central Europe as DH's type rather than just say it didn't matter and put proven donors at the top of my wish list.

Finally, one of the donor coordinators at Zlin went to a new clinic in Bratislava, Slovakiahttp://www.gynfiv.sk/en/infertility_tre ... en_embryo/. They claim to have a procedure that gets their success rates up to 70%, and their prices are comparable to Czech clinics if I'm remembering correctly. It sounds as though you're probably still pretty young, but bear in mind that the age cutoff for that clinic is 46.

GL! M.
If so, that's less than $1000 more than I spent on my donor embryo cycle, since this and that added to the $4500 price tag.

Anonymous Lurker
Anonymous Lurker

February 20th, 2013, 4:15 pm #7

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)

GL! M.
Since we would use DH's sperm - what blood type matters? Mine? I don't even know mine!

February 20th, 2013, 4:37 pm #8

If so, that's less than $1000 more than I spent on my donor embryo cycle, since this and that added to the $4500 price tag.

For the benefit of a friend who was considering DE in CZ. I stayed at the spa in Luhacovice, so I spent more on lodging than I could have, though meals were included. AL, meals are very affordable in CZ. The Vila Antoaneta fee includes the taxi charge from Vienna to Luhacovice. You can travel from Vienna or Prague by train very affordably. I didn't include local monitoring -- my GP monitored me, and I'm guessing I didn't spend more than a few hundred dollars. I did not have a lining check before leaving on that cycle as the clinic had me come earlier and get one on ER day. My OB/GYN charged me $250 for a lining check U/S on my first cycle.

Also, I didn't include the STD tests, which my GP ordered as part of my physical for my first cycle. Also not shown below is about, hmmm, $300 for Crinone purchased from ivfmeds.com. You can buy that in Zlin, but their standard protocol now is just vaginal Prometrium (Utrogestan there, in addition to oral Prometrium), and you can buy that at the clinic pharmacy. Generic Prometrium is also now available in the U.S. I was getting estradiol on my insurance for a $5?, $10? copay, but since the OP sounds younger and probably doesn't need HRT, she could buy that in Zlin.

Downpayment to clinic                             $1,500.00
Airline ticket                                             $765.60
Board, lodging, transportation,
treatments, Vila Antoaneta                       $1,238.68
Transaction fee for lodging, etc.                    $37.16
Balance to clinic                                     $3,781.20
Transaction fee for balance                         $113.43
Prescription medicine filled in Zlin                   $81.65
Transaction fee for prescriptions                     $2.44
Freezing and storage of embryos                  $553.37
Transaction fee for freezing                          $16.60
Lodging in Vienna                                        $80.66

$8,170.79

So, yeah, all the kitchen sink stuff would probably have been around $800 or so, and that would bring the total you see above to $9K. Now, the clinic's prices are higher now, and airfares are higher, too, but I think $10K probably would be close. And, you see, I had about $570 in embryo freezing fees you'll only have if you're lucky enough to get frosties. The clinic has its own hotel now, BTW, and more of the ning board ladies seem to be staying there. I also spent $1,330.00 on acupuncture for close to 3 mos. prior to tx that I didn't include as that's not required.

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)
Last edited by maggie1961 on February 20th, 2013, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 20th, 2013, 4:44 pm #9

Since we would use DH's sperm - what blood type matters? Mine? I don't even know mine!
If you plan to tell your child that he or she is donor conceived, then it doesn't matter. If you plan not to tell your child or are worried that this might cause it to come out before you want to tell, then it's better to state your own blood type so that they can use a blood type that will get a possible phenotype with your DH's. I am a long-time blood donor, so I knew mine. That would be the cheapest way to find out if it's not in your medical records and you don't have any disqualifying issue (like living in certain countries previously or having had a bi boyfriend, etc.), go to the Red Cross and donate blood. Maggie (in VA)
Last edited by maggie1961 on February 20th, 2013, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 20th, 2013, 5:08 pm #10

For the benefit of a friend who was considering DE in CZ. I stayed at the spa in Luhacovice, so I spent more on lodging than I could have, though meals were included. AL, meals are very affordable in CZ. The Vila Antoaneta fee includes the taxi charge from Vienna to Luhacovice. You can travel from Vienna or Prague by train very affordably. I didn't include local monitoring -- my GP monitored me, and I'm guessing I didn't spend more than a few hundred dollars. I did not have a lining check before leaving on that cycle as the clinic had me come earlier and get one on ER day. My OB/GYN charged me $250 for a lining check U/S on my first cycle.

Also, I didn't include the STD tests, which my GP ordered as part of my physical for my first cycle. Also not shown below is about, hmmm, $300 for Crinone purchased from ivfmeds.com. You can buy that in Zlin, but their standard protocol now is just vaginal Prometrium (Utrogestan there, in addition to oral Prometrium), and you can buy that at the clinic pharmacy. Generic Prometrium is also now available in the U.S. I was getting estradiol on my insurance for a $5?, $10? copay, but since the OP sounds younger and probably doesn't need HRT, she could buy that in Zlin.

Downpayment to clinic                             $1,500.00
Airline ticket                                             $765.60
Board, lodging, transportation,
treatments, Vila Antoaneta                       $1,238.68
Transaction fee for lodging, etc.                    $37.16
Balance to clinic                                     $3,781.20
Transaction fee for balance                         $113.43
Prescription medicine filled in Zlin                   $81.65
Transaction fee for prescriptions                     $2.44
Freezing and storage of embryos                  $553.37
Transaction fee for freezing                          $16.60
Lodging in Vienna                                        $80.66

$8,170.79

So, yeah, all the kitchen sink stuff would probably have been around $800 or so, and that would bring the total you see above to $9K. Now, the clinic's prices are higher now, and airfares are higher, too, but I think $10K probably would be close. And, you see, I had about $570 in embryo freezing fees you'll only have if you're lucky enough to get frosties. The clinic has its own hotel now, BTW, and more of the ning board ladies seem to be staying there. I also spent $1,330.00 on acupuncture for close to 3 mos. prior to tx that I didn't include as that's not required.

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)
Still feeling some righteous indignation for them on your behalf.