Crazy week, almost cancelled & then.....

Crazy week, almost cancelled & then.....

December 9th, 2011, 8:46 pm #1

We are using an out of state donor who started stims last week. She showed up Monday for her 1st scan at our clinic with a very large lead follicle and lots of little ones. We got the dreaded call that we might be cancelled. Our Dr felt this follicle must have been there last week as it was unlikely to have grown that large that quickly. Talk about frustrating. But there we were with so much of the expenses already sunk (meds, travel, local monitoring, lawyers, agency fees, etc.) and 4 days out from the anticipated retrieval. Dr said give her 2 more days & then we'd make a decision. On Wed the little ones were growing (good news) and they had a high degree of confidence they could get 5 mature eggs (bad news). 15-20 were retrieved in her two previous cycles & we got 6 in each of my 3 OE cycles. Granted her eggs are 10 years younger but for this $$ I was hoping for a little more insurance. Nonetheless we made the call to stick with it, despite the lower count. We were already out so much of the expense, it would be unlikely we could to come up with the funds to start over.

So, I went in for acupunture today. I was told beforehand that our donor had an overlaping appointment time but we were staggered and things would be coordinated accordingly. They told me this as they wanted to give me the opportunity to reschedule if it made me uncomfortable, which I thought was pretty cool. And I wasn't uncomfortable so appointment stayed. Well guess who I ended up on the elevator with on the way to my appointment. She had no way of knowing who I was but it was beyond weird. I wanted to hug her, to introduce myself, to run away, to....but out of respect for her privacy and probably more likely because I was in shock, I did nothing. In fact I didn't make eye contact and barely even looked at her. Which of course I'm regretting now. Don't know why, just seems like it was my one chance to look her in the eye and....well I don't know what that would accomplish but seems like I should have. You should have seen the faces at the reception desk when we walked off the elevator together. That was pretty priceless. They quickly shuffled us both out in our respective directions, in a way that seemed to not give anything away. Needless to say, after my appointment was done & she was long gone, they explained she showed up 30 minutes early. They appologized profusely and asked if I was ok. Which I totally was, it was just such a strange & surreal thing.

Whew, what a week. They're letting her go another day and will make the call tomorrow on whether to retrieve Mon. or Tues. With today's scan, they think 7 mature is doable. Fingers crossed we'll get 10!! Thanks for listening to me ramble, it's been such an emotional week and sharing it with those that understand this roller coaster, seems to make it a little less crazy.

December 9th, 2011, 9:12 pm #2

you handled it beautifully! i think my heart would have stopped in that elevator. anyhow, i love that the staff looked freaked too. haha. i hope it's a good omen and that all goes well next week. i'm glad you are moving forward. good luck and let us know how it goes!!

December 9th, 2011, 9:15 pm #3

We are using an out of state donor who started stims last week. She showed up Monday for her 1st scan at our clinic with a very large lead follicle and lots of little ones. We got the dreaded call that we might be cancelled. Our Dr felt this follicle must have been there last week as it was unlikely to have grown that large that quickly. Talk about frustrating. But there we were with so much of the expenses already sunk (meds, travel, local monitoring, lawyers, agency fees, etc.) and 4 days out from the anticipated retrieval. Dr said give her 2 more days & then we'd make a decision. On Wed the little ones were growing (good news) and they had a high degree of confidence they could get 5 mature eggs (bad news). 15-20 were retrieved in her two previous cycles & we got 6 in each of my 3 OE cycles. Granted her eggs are 10 years younger but for this $$ I was hoping for a little more insurance. Nonetheless we made the call to stick with it, despite the lower count. We were already out so much of the expense, it would be unlikely we could to come up with the funds to start over.

So, I went in for acupunture today. I was told beforehand that our donor had an overlaping appointment time but we were staggered and things would be coordinated accordingly. They told me this as they wanted to give me the opportunity to reschedule if it made me uncomfortable, which I thought was pretty cool. And I wasn't uncomfortable so appointment stayed. Well guess who I ended up on the elevator with on the way to my appointment. She had no way of knowing who I was but it was beyond weird. I wanted to hug her, to introduce myself, to run away, to....but out of respect for her privacy and probably more likely because I was in shock, I did nothing. In fact I didn't make eye contact and barely even looked at her. Which of course I'm regretting now. Don't know why, just seems like it was my one chance to look her in the eye and....well I don't know what that would accomplish but seems like I should have. You should have seen the faces at the reception desk when we walked off the elevator together. That was pretty priceless. They quickly shuffled us both out in our respective directions, in a way that seemed to not give anything away. Needless to say, after my appointment was done & she was long gone, they explained she showed up 30 minutes early. They appologized profusely and asked if I was ok. Which I totally was, it was just such a strange & surreal thing.

Whew, what a week. They're letting her go another day and will make the call tomorrow on whether to retrieve Mon. or Tues. With today's scan, they think 7 mature is doable. Fingers crossed we'll get 10!! Thanks for listening to me ramble, it's been such an emotional week and sharing it with those that understand this roller coaster, seems to make it a little less crazy.
Made my heart stop just to hear the story. I think it is sweet you got to ride the elevator with her. It sounds like you handled it really well.