Cost of social worker sessions for DE

Cost of social worker sessions for DE

Katie_M
Katie_M

May 1st, 2012, 7:35 pm #1

About how much does it cost for the social worker/psychologist sessions required for DE?
I got an estimate of almost $900!! This includes meeting with DH and I as well as donor meeting and testing.
Is this about average? This social worker was recommended by my clinic. Not sure if there would be other people out there that are cheaper. I am in the DC/Virginia area.

BTW, do all DE clinics require meeting with a social worker/psychologist prior to DE?

May 1st, 2012, 7:59 pm #2

Hi. I did a social worker consultation for my GC in the DC area and it was $1,100 if I recall correctly. That included one session with the GC and her husband, one with me, one with all of us, psychological testing (sent to an outside company for scoring), and writing a report. I am so thankful for this part of the process, since it helped me determine who was a good GC candidate (and more importantly, who was not!)

Katie_M on
Katie_M on

May 1st, 2012, 8:12 pm #3

Thank you so much. Yikes, it's costly but I know it is a must do.

May 1st, 2012, 8:21 pm #4

About how much does it cost for the social worker/psychologist sessions required for DE?
I got an estimate of almost $900!! This includes meeting with DH and I as well as donor meeting and testing.
Is this about average? This social worker was recommended by my clinic. Not sure if there would be other people out there that are cheaper. I am in the DC/Virginia area.

BTW, do all DE clinics require meeting with a social worker/psychologist prior to DE?
To answer your question, no, not all clinics require it. I've been a patient at two different clinics and there was never any mention of it. We would not have done it anyway, especially if we had to pay for it.

May 1st, 2012, 8:21 pm #5

But $900? I can't remember what GIVF in Fairfax was going to charge us, but I don't think it was that much. With a GC, yeah, I can see how that could be really critical. Is this an agency donor? I could understand that better, because the clinics screen their own donors. Other than those scenarios, however, I would be suspicious of the clinic's staff passing on business at big $$ to their friends, which has come up before on this board. I ended up cycling overseas and, no, no psychological exams were required for anyone (unless they performed one in the course of screening their in-house donors). Personally, I think it's kind of a racket, although my understanding from some other women who have posted is that the counselor talked mostly about genetic issues and the decision whether to tell/be no tell.

Do you mind saying which clinic you're using?

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)

May 1st, 2012, 8:50 pm #6

It cost us $200. That was for a one hour session for dh and me with a sw. We are using a clinic donor, so we didn't have to pay for her session/eval. Even that burned me, though. I've seen numerous therapists and I've never paid that much for a one hour session. Plus it wasn't even that helpful. But it pales in comparison to other de costs, so I let it go.

900 sounds ridiculously high. are you using an agency donor? Wouldn't the agency have taken care of the donor psych eval? Why would you have to pay that? or are you using a known donor?

Anyway, good luck!

May 1st, 2012, 10:22 pm #7

about $500 for both a session for DH and me and a separate session for our donor. Ours was actually covered by insurance (the one and only part of this entire thing they covered - I think she coded the session as "adjustment disorder" or something), but the donor's was not.. $900 does seem a bit much! Good luck to you!

demomone
demomone

May 2nd, 2012, 1:23 am #8

Our clinic did require it as well as psych testing (MMPI) for the donor as well as the recipient couple.. The donor had to be seen and tested for each cycle she did at our clinic (which was six).
We also had some individual sessions with the psychologist where she did charge us $250 a session. I am sure it is all more by now..that was two years ago.
I think it is very important to have the donor tested..so many things can come up and it's good to have a trained person to evaluate the person.

Katie_M
Katie_M

May 2nd, 2012, 1:52 am #9

Thanks for all the responses.
I should have been more clear.
I am using a known donor. I am with Shady Grove and the fee is $250 for me and DH, $250 for my donor evaluation, $250 for all 3 of us, and then $150 for the MMPI test for my donor.

May 2nd, 2012, 2:00 am #10

for a single session for me and DH. (We used a clinic donor, so I assume her costs were part of the total we paid.) Since DH and I already had a therapist we were working with, I questioned whether we needed to see this one (and I wondered too about the clinic sending her business), but they insisted. We were glad afterward because she had a lot of specific information about DE that our therapist didn't have (plus it turned out that our therapist knew her and liked her).