Conceive Online article about "Hollywood pregnancies"

Conceive Online article about "Hollywood pregnancies"

August 26th, 2010, 7:51 pm #1

http://ht.ly/2vmzC

I don't think there's anything within this article that we don't implicitly understand already, but it's good to see the media talking about ART and DE specifically. But this site isn't mainstream media, it's targeted for people on all ends of the spectrum who are TTC, so who knows how much it will help to educate the general public.

August 26th, 2010, 8:36 pm #2

I'm not entirely sure that I believe Celine Dion didn't use DE. Maybe she had a stock pile of eggs or embryos frozen all those years ago, but she seemed pretty adamant about getting PG again. So when would her egg basket run out? So I don't really believe she's told the whole story! However, it's not her responsibility to educate the general public. I think our GYN should be doing more!

August 26th, 2010, 8:47 pm #3

I have never really felt it was a Celebrity's responsibility to educate the public. It's not like we get mad at someone who is being treated for depression to out themselves and then tell us the signs and treatment for Depression. I think it's a much larger responsibility on the GYN world and Fertility education in general. When hubby and I watch MTV (yes, I watch it!) I see ad after ad on how to prevent getting pregnant, prevent STDS and so forth. I said to DH "see what I mean? not one ad or public service announcement on Fertility awareness." I am not saying an ad that says "have lots of sex" by a long shot. Just more information stated, give the straight facts on statistics of fertility decreasing. DH by the way, did NOT agree with me. He felt the issue is always how to prevent so that is why it dominates Channels for young people. But I say, women need to have full education and facts.

August 26th, 2010, 11:58 pm #4

Where are the PSA's for fertility awareness aimed at 30 somethings? There are plenty of PSAs for contraception and I've started to see some aimed at telling young women to keep healthy habits to prep for the time when they do decide to get pg, but no one is advising that time isn't on your side.

CatMama75
CatMama75

August 27th, 2010, 2:02 am #5

I have never really felt it was a Celebrity's responsibility to educate the public. It's not like we get mad at someone who is being treated for depression to out themselves and then tell us the signs and treatment for Depression. I think it's a much larger responsibility on the GYN world and Fertility education in general. When hubby and I watch MTV (yes, I watch it!) I see ad after ad on how to prevent getting pregnant, prevent STDS and so forth. I said to DH "see what I mean? not one ad or public service announcement on Fertility awareness." I am not saying an ad that says "have lots of sex" by a long shot. Just more information stated, give the straight facts on statistics of fertility decreasing. DH by the way, did NOT agree with me. He felt the issue is always how to prevent so that is why it dominates Channels for young people. But I say, women need to have full education and facts.
"I have never really felt it was a Celebrity's responsibility to educate the public. It's not like we get mad at someone who is being treated for depression to out themselves and then tell us the signs and treatment for Depression."

While I agree with you that celebrities shouldn't carry the burden of educating the public, I think they are horrifically irresponsible when they allow tabloids to publish their vague comments about their "miracle babies" which perpetuate the myths. If they want to sell their baby pictures and get paid for interviews, they do owe the public a sense of honesty. Those treated for depression are not collecting millions of dollars from tabloids.

Just my opinion.

August 27th, 2010, 3:38 am #6

I'm not entirely sure that I believe Celine Dion didn't use DE. Maybe she had a stock pile of eggs or embryos frozen all those years ago, but she seemed pretty adamant about getting PG again. So when would her egg basket run out? So I don't really believe she's told the whole story! However, it's not her responsibility to educate the general public. I think our GYN should be doing more!
and planned to use it later to have another child. At least, this is how she was quoted. That there was one, and she was complacently confident it would give her a child.