Clotting disorders?

Clotting disorders?

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 26th, 2011, 12:44 am #1

I have read in some previous posts about taking blood thinners if the ANA comes back even borderline. Are the blood thinners necessary if the tests for clotting disorders comes back negative but the ANA comes back moderately elevated with no evidence of disease even after more elaborate lab work?

demomone
demomone

May 26th, 2011, 1:43 am #2

does not neccesarily mean there is a clotting disorder. It indicates that the body has autoimmune disease, which can include many different disorders. Once you test positive for the ANA..this should be followed up with a complete work-up for immune disorders..Your doctor will take a good family history and test for the pertinent disorders. That is the simple explanation of the ANA.
Would I take a blood thinner if I had high ANA's? Absolutely not..I would ask to be tested for every clotting disorder and repeat that twice.

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 26th, 2011, 2:59 am #3

What's interesting is that I have been to a rheumatologist and have had tons of blood work done...all came back fine. I don't even have any symptoms of an autoimmune disease. I hear so many people on here being treated with things to prevent implantation problems and miscarriage, so it makes me nervous but at the same time....what would they be treating me for if everything else comes back healthy?

macphee
macphee

May 26th, 2011, 3:30 am #4

some people are treated empirically w/ blood thinners and have had success

demomone
demomone

May 26th, 2011, 3:41 am #5

What's interesting is that I have been to a rheumatologist and have had tons of blood work done...all came back fine. I don't even have any symptoms of an autoimmune disease. I hear so many people on here being treated with things to prevent implantation problems and miscarriage, so it makes me nervous but at the same time....what would they be treating me for if everything else comes back healthy?
many disorders are dormant...some never manfiest themselves, some do.
It's funny..I also went to a rheumatologist who found nothing and after several pregnancy losses, I went to a hematologist who found several immune disorders..including thyroid and clotting amongst a few. During my pregnancy, I was watched monthly to see if any more popped up, which did not happen but I did have a bleeding episode caused by a clot in my colon at five months.
You have to be your own doctor when it comes to IF..but be careful..there are many docs who treat women with dangerous drugs who really do not need them. Blood thinners are dangerus if not prescribed correctly and one has to be careful when taking them (always wear a medic bracelet when you use a BT).

Orchid
Orchid

May 26th, 2011, 5:31 am #6

I have read in some previous posts about taking blood thinners if the ANA comes back even borderline. Are the blood thinners necessary if the tests for clotting disorders comes back negative but the ANA comes back moderately elevated with no evidence of disease even after more elaborate lab work?
What should I ask a hemotologist?

My mc's could just be old eggs.

I've had a couple of failed transfers but the embryos weren't tip top.

I just don't know what to think about all that.

What tests should I ask for? What do I say to the hemotologist?

Leigh888
Leigh888

May 26th, 2011, 12:20 pm #7

Initially, I showed borderline APAs and borderline Protein C deficiency. Upon retest, they were normal. My RE said add lovenox, but my hematologist said it wasn't necessary so I skipped it. After my second c/p, I asked for everything to be retested. This time I tested clearly positive for a Protein S deficiency and we added lovenox to my protocol.

When the Protein S deficiency was found, I was on BCP. So, I think that some women will only test positive when they are adding estrogen to their body. I wonder if these things should be tested while on estrogen to really get the true picture. I never really see this mentioned, but this is what happened for me.

Orchid, I asked for RPL testing (repeat loss testing).

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 26th, 2011, 12:59 pm #8

Hi i hope you dont mind me chiming in. I have 3 failed ivf's oe and im 32. I seen all these tests you guys are talking about and i have never gotton anything like that done. My doc is dr check in marlton, nj. Do you know if i can get theses tests there like the ones you are talking about clotting, and ano. or if not where would i start looking to et them done. Why is it important to get these done. i have egg quality problems, what would you recommw=end i get done. Thanks for all your help. I feel like i have kick a brick wall and dont know where to go a or what to do from here.

May 26th, 2011, 1:57 pm #9

It should be standard for those having recurrent m/c. You can request to have the thrombophilia panel tests. Your RE's office should be able to draw your blood (several vials). You just need to get your RE to approve it and really push for the tests. My insurance that covers testing, did cover this. I had to be my own advocate by requesting to my RE to approve the orders for testing. I ended up having 2 copies of the C mutation for MTHFR. There is really no evidence that Lovenox would help with this dx, but I did request to add Lovenox for my successful cycle, after 2 failed cycles.

Good luck

May 26th, 2011, 5:22 pm #10

Initially, I showed borderline APAs and borderline Protein C deficiency. Upon retest, they were normal. My RE said add lovenox, but my hematologist said it wasn't necessary so I skipped it. After my second c/p, I asked for everything to be retested. This time I tested clearly positive for a Protein S deficiency and we added lovenox to my protocol.

When the Protein S deficiency was found, I was on BCP. So, I think that some women will only test positive when they are adding estrogen to their body. I wonder if these things should be tested while on estrogen to really get the true picture. I never really see this mentioned, but this is what happened for me.

Orchid, I asked for RPL testing (repeat loss testing).
I will ask for that...Should I ask a hemotologist?