clinics in the Bay Area for DE?

clinics in the Bay Area for DE?

maybe1
maybe1

August 9th, 2011, 1:18 am #1

What clinics in the Bay Area are better for donor egg cycles - both success wise, and also cost wise?

I was checking out the costs at the clinic where I've been having my OE treatments -- without the donor-egg/agency expenses, without the meds, and after 50% insurance coverage, it would still cost nearly 11k to do the first (fresh) cycle. Also the SARS results from 2009 give success rates of ~55% and ~20% for fresh and frozen transfers accordingly. Does this sound right?

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 9th, 2011, 1:49 am #2

65% for FET.

Good Luck!

maybe1
maybe1

August 9th, 2011, 2:30 am #3

65% sounds amazing, relative to the

August 9th, 2011, 4:21 am #4

What clinics in the Bay Area are better for donor egg cycles - both success wise, and also cost wise?

I was checking out the costs at the clinic where I've been having my OE treatments -- without the donor-egg/agency expenses, without the meds, and after 50% insurance coverage, it would still cost nearly 11k to do the first (fresh) cycle. Also the SARS results from 2009 give success rates of ~55% and ~20% for fresh and frozen transfers accordingly. Does this sound right?

I just had success on my first round of DE IVF through Zouves Fertility Clinic just outside San Francisco. Look into their various cost programs - someone doing DE (or younger patients doing OE) can do a sort of guaranteed cycle. I think three tries are included for around 14K. But you have to have a BMI under 30 and the donor has to meet some criteria (can't remember the specifics but something like BMI under 25 and age 25 or under if unproven/28 if proven).

Also check the last three years' previous stats for these clinics. Any one year can be quite different for a clinic's average. Keep in mind, a good number of ZFC's patients are the ones who have already tried other places and failed. This describes me - UCSF failed me in a big way over countless IUI's and 2 IVFs all the while never telling me my FSH had repeatedly come back at 27-29 (7 times over 3 years!). Whenever I asked them how my FSH was, they said it was "fine" and were mum about the specifics. Ugh! We didn't find out until the records were transfered to Dr. Z. We spent over 75K for treatments that had less than 5% chance of ever working and they never even gave me the chance to assess that risk myself. If we had known that we would have moved to DE 3 years earlier!

Dr. Zouves is a last hope for many people, so I believe his numbers reflect that. His whole IVF process is a different world away from UCSF's. They do so many things UCSF would never even think of - plus he is really big into autoimmune testing. After 6 miscarriages in a row (before my FSH crept up that high), UCSF told me I'd have to have ONE MORE MISCARRIAGE before they would even consider giving me a prescription for heparin.

Zouves' testing found I was homozygous for MTHFR gene mutation (two copies), found I had natural killer cells, and also anti-throid antibodies. He's been a godsend to my DH and I.
Last edited by MistyG on August 9th, 2011, 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 9th, 2011, 3:38 pm #5

https://www.sartcorsonline.com/rptCSR_P ... inicPKID=0

Fresh DE 55.1%
Frozen DE 33.8%

So per the national average, your clinic is about average for fresh and below average for frozen. Another thing to look at on SART is how many cycles a clinic does per year (when I was looking for a new clinic I wanted to see at least 80 fresh and 25 frozen per year, preferably more!). I would keep looking IMHO. I should have in hindsight picked a clinic with much better frozen rates than I did, then when my frozens failed I was heartbroken. It is very difficult if not impossible to get the original donor back for a sibling (when at a better clinic the frozens have a much better chance to be the siblings). I know it is very hard to think ahead to siblings when you just want one baby.

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

August 9th, 2011, 5:38 pm #6

Something like 80% for fresh DE and 47% for frozen http://www.infertility-ivf.com/)

maybe1
maybe1

August 9th, 2011, 9:22 pm #7

https://www.sartcorsonline.com/rptCSR_P ... inicPKID=0

Fresh DE 55.1%
Frozen DE 33.8%

So per the national average, your clinic is about average for fresh and below average for frozen. Another thing to look at on SART is how many cycles a clinic does per year (when I was looking for a new clinic I wanted to see at least 80 fresh and 25 frozen per year, preferably more!). I would keep looking IMHO. I should have in hindsight picked a clinic with much better frozen rates than I did, then when my frozens failed I was heartbroken. It is very difficult if not impossible to get the original donor back for a sibling (when at a better clinic the frozens have a much better chance to be the siblings). I know it is very hard to think ahead to siblings when you just want one baby.
Actually this is exactly what i've been thinking since the earlier response mentioned that some clinics have 65% FET success rate with DE. Ideally we want 3 kids eventually (I'm 35 so if all goes fine it seems possible), and it'd of course be best to be from the same donor, so it really matters how much we can freeze and what the chances are.