CGH/Genetic Testing - what do you think? (loss ment)

CGH/Genetic Testing - what do you think? (loss ment)

March 28th, 2011, 1:42 am #1

Hi ladies. Our clinic offers CGH (at a cost, of course). CGH is a form of genetic testing that examines all of the chromosomes in an embryo, rather than just some of them (ie, PGD).

We're heading into our first DE cycle, following 3 IVFs, two IUIs and 3 M/Cs (my eggs are just too darned old). Like everyone else walking down this road, we want to get, and stay, pregnant already. Recognizing that CGH is expensive, if doing this will help us identify the strongest contenders, I'm leaning toward doing it.

Has anyone done it? What do you think?

New2011
New2011

March 28th, 2011, 1:46 am #2

LadyMagoo, I am sorry I dont know much about CGH but I remember seeing lots of discussions on the topic while lurking on this board a while back ago. If you do a search using the word, I am sure you will find lots of information on it.

Good luck

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 28th, 2011, 2:15 am #3

Hi ladies. Our clinic offers CGH (at a cost, of course). CGH is a form of genetic testing that examines all of the chromosomes in an embryo, rather than just some of them (ie, PGD).

We're heading into our first DE cycle, following 3 IVFs, two IUIs and 3 M/Cs (my eggs are just too darned old). Like everyone else walking down this road, we want to get, and stay, pregnant already. Recognizing that CGH is expensive, if doing this will help us identify the strongest contenders, I'm leaning toward doing it.

For ttc#2 I just want to do single embryo transfers, I am OK with the extra expense if it gives me some peace of mind.

March 28th, 2011, 2:22 am #4

I'm just curious...

I have never heard of this. I've heard of PGD. Wikipedia says that it can test for developmental delays, etc. But not that many things can be found just on chromosomes, can they?

Does it involve taking a cell off the embryo?

It is sort of what we dream of...but PGD has always seemed so risky to me. (I could not afford it but I don't think I would do it.)

March 28th, 2011, 2:28 am #5

but recently there were two board members that did CGH testing on their embryos. They may come forward, but it is not right for me to say who they are. One recently delivered and one is currently pregnant. Bottom line I believe it works, but I think you need to have at least 6 embryos available for testing. I may be wrong about that.

Ariadne
Ariadne

March 28th, 2011, 3:02 am #6

using the term CGH. If you use a date search, you will find the most recent posts. There have been several threads fairly recently.

The search function isn't the greatest for certain topics, but for others with unique terminology (CGH, sperm dna fragmentation, much of the immune stuff, etc.), it works well & past posts can provide a wealth of info.

March 28th, 2011, 3:13 am #7

I'm just curious...

I have never heard of this. I've heard of PGD. Wikipedia says that it can test for developmental delays, etc. But not that many things can be found just on chromosomes, can they?

Does it involve taking a cell off the embryo?

It is sort of what we dream of...but PGD has always seemed so risky to me. (I could not afford it but I don't think I would do it.)
is that PGD tests some pairs of chromosomes (ie, the pairs that most commonly result in genetic issues, like Down's), but it does not test all of them. Case in point - our first m/c would not have been predicted using PGD, because the problematic chromosome would not have been tested using PGD. CGH tests all 23 pairs. There is also something unique about the way in which the chromosomes are examined, as compared to PGD (I think). Both tests involve removing a cell. It's like a mini-biopsy, I guess. It's therefore critical to use a lab that is not only experienced in doing this, but one that has a top of the line expertise in the procedure, and isn't perfecting their process on your embryos.

The theory is that embryos that look good to the naked eye may not, in fact, be genetically healthy. So, CGH would help identify the best embryos, eliminating, or at least reducing, the need to transfer multiple embryos. But it is expensive - another $1800 to $3300, depending on the number of embryos being tested.

We know we do not have the bandwidth to handle twins, so we would only transfer one embie. But we also want to get this show on the road, already. And given that a perfectly good embryo might not be a good candidate for freezing, I'd hate to transfer the wrong one and not freeze the right one.

Oh rats - I've gotten my head in a complete twist over this!

Does any of this make sense?

Last edited by elseeG on March 28th, 2011, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 28th, 2011, 4:15 am #8

but recently there were two board members that did CGH testing on their embryos. They may come forward, but it is not right for me to say who they are. One recently delivered and one is currently pregnant. Bottom line I believe it works, but I think you need to have at least 6 embryos available for testing. I may be wrong about that.
if you have more than 6 embryos, it starts to pay to do CGH so you are only paying for transfers of good embryos. Because even if an embryo "looks" great, that certainly is not always the case, even with young eggs. So instead of doing multiple transfers once you have a decent number of embryos, it might pay to weed out the bad ones.

I say I think, b/c I am basing all of this knowledge on what I have gathered from posts on this board. A lot could have been lost in the translation. So, I won't be offended if anyone wants to correct me on this.

March 28th, 2011, 8:28 am #9

belt and braces approach.

However, I would personally have some extensive miscarriage testing on your and DH just to rule out any other potential issues before proceding as age of eggs may not be the only reason for m/c sadly.

Best of luck to you,
Daisy
xxxx

March 28th, 2011, 10:50 am #10

I, too, have thought about doing CGH on remaining. I asked a friend in the business and she said "no!" but I am not sure she is currently as up on the tech, and trends as we are even! (I think she was thinking more of PGD)
I think the idea of if you have more than 6 embryo's it may be worth it is an excellent approach.
Not sure we will use it. As I don't know the cost and so forth. But it is certainly something to look into.
Also, Question: does the experience of the lab in in count for something here? And, how could one find THAT out?