Car seat test for preemie.... question

Car seat test for preemie.... question

June 26th, 2012, 7:43 pm #1

My friend's baby was born a few weeks early last Monday and has premature lungs. As of today they did a carseat test (a britax $300 seat) he failed the test and they are telling her to go get another car seat now for another test. They want to release him today!!!

I have a Chicco keyfit 30 to give her regardless but we feel like he is being pushed out of the hospital when he is not ready. He was born 8.3lbs and nurses well but his numbers on the monitor never hit 100, always 94 to under 100. Sorry I don't remember what those numbers mean.

Anyhow - have any of you had to get a different car seat to pass this test? I think that's insane. Her carseat is rated for 4-30lbs. Please some advice!

Oh and they told her not to use the snuza halo - I told her it's a great monitor and I would use it at home. doctors generally never recommend those things.

June 26th, 2012, 8:00 pm #2

About what it was about the seat that they feel is causing him to fail so that she can at least find one that is likely to address the issue? My Freddy had to take a car seat test to be released from the hospital. Seriously, I have to wonder how much of it is a racket. Thanks, Maggie (in VA)

June 26th, 2012, 8:04 pm #3

Graco snugride. I think if a baby passes it shouldn't matter what brand carseat - I think they are pushing him out too early. It's awful what is going on.

June 26th, 2012, 8:16 pm #4

My friend's baby was born a few weeks early last Monday and has premature lungs. As of today they did a carseat test (a britax $300 seat) he failed the test and they are telling her to go get another car seat now for another test. They want to release him today!!!

I have a Chicco keyfit 30 to give her regardless but we feel like he is being pushed out of the hospital when he is not ready. He was born 8.3lbs and nurses well but his numbers on the monitor never hit 100, always 94 to under 100. Sorry I don't remember what those numbers mean.

Anyhow - have any of you had to get a different car seat to pass this test? I think that's insane. Her carseat is rated for 4-30lbs. Please some advice!

Oh and they told her not to use the snuza halo - I told her it's a great monitor and I would use it at home. doctors generally never recommend those things.
You wouldn't think the carseat is the issues. My two had to pass the carseat test (in carseat for 2-3 hrs and hooked up to oxygen saturation monitor) as well. The carseat test is legit. I work in cardiac surg/ICU and we had a baby that failed his carseat test. Turns out he had a paralyzed diaphram! When not in a carseat, he was able to compensate using his abdominal muscles for breathing, but when he was scrunched and buckled in a carseat he couldn't. It would literally have been a life and death situation had he not been checked in his carseat first.

Maybe have your friend try another carseat to humor the hospital. If he fails that, they need to find out why he failed.

Sorry to hear about all of this!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me: 34 y/o Him: 43 - He had affairs, now divorced and he's 9 hrs away.

TTC'd 4 yrs - POF'er at 22 y/o, with 1st DE cycle in April '08. TWINS! Embies frozen on day 6: 4 grade two & 2 grade three blasts. Now what am going to do with them?!

Healthy BOY and GIRL were born in Nov 2008! 100% custody since they were 14 months old.

June 26th, 2012, 8:25 pm #5

Last edited by Maybelline on August 15th, 2016, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 26th, 2012, 9:19 pm #6

Ok, trying to be calm. Getting a new car seat does NOT change the results. If the wee one does NOT pass, the lil one should not go home. Like mentioned, the body can do things in different positions and fail in others. Both my preemies did the carseat test for 3 hours. If any desat happened, failed and we try again in 3 days if no desats or bradys between that day and 3 days later. Both my kids passed but the nicu did tell us to make sure it was rated to 5# for sure since they were likely that size/weight for the straps.

My kids went home on monitors so we had that in the car but they still would not let them go home if they failed. The carseat has nothing to do with it. period!

June 26th, 2012, 11:01 pm #7

My LO was 4.12 pounds (probably less) when we left the hospital. Since your friend's "premie" is 8.3 pounds (can't imagine he was TOO premature!), it obviously isn't a size thing. As a poster above pointed out,the test the baby IN the carseat -- not the carseat. I know they test oxygen saturation and all sorts of other things while the baby is in the car seat.

They won't (shouldn't) release without him passing the test. I was told that some of the fastening/positioning devices in a car seat might make a difference. It wouldn't hurt to try your car seat to see if it makes a difference. More expensive isn't always better for all purposes!

GL

sas

June 27th, 2012, 1:47 am #8

Graco snugride. I think if a baby passes it shouldn't matter what brand carseat - I think they are pushing him out too early. It's awful what is going on.
They like the numbers between 95-100. We had premies also and we bought Graco Snug rides. Part of the test has to do with head control of the infant. If the seat does not give enough support to the head his little head could tilt forward in a car ride and cut off his airway with the stopping and going of a vehicle.

My premie head tilted forward while I was holding her and she stopped breathing and all these alarms went off at the hospital, scared me to death and I was no good for days, thanking God we were in the hospital when it happened. Because I would have never noticed it.

June 27th, 2012, 2:17 am #9

Never heard of this. What are they testing for?

Maya

June 27th, 2012, 2:24 am #10

They have to show that they can stay in a car seat for something like 2 hours without losing their oxygen saturation. Sometimes they can come home in a car bed if that is the only way they can pass.
My kids both passed the first time but were about 43 weeks gestation by the time they could finally take it.