can't believe I'm posting this - donor # discrepancy (pg ment)

can't believe I'm posting this - donor # discrepancy (pg ment)

anon for this for now
anon for this for now

June 1st, 2012, 3:47 am #1

Sorry to be posting anonymously but I'm in a bit of shock (and could also be wrong).

We selected a donor at our clinic in October (Donor # 1670 on her profile).

We did a fresh cycle in December which was unsuccessful. We had 3 frozen.

I ordered the embryology report/my medical records from December in case our FET was unsuccessful.

We had our FET in March and were successful.

I finally sat down to review the records and noticed that the Donor # on my records was # 1632.

The age of the donor we selected (1670) was 28. The age of the donor on my embryology report (1632) was 29.

I am in complete shock at the thought that maybe a mistake has been made. I called my clinic tonight and left a msg.

The only explanation i can think of for the # discrepancy is that the donor had a profile #1670 but was actual donor #1632 at the clinic, and turned 29 before ER.

I am so sorry to be posting this and just praying that a mistake has not been made.

I will post an update as I can.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 1st, 2012, 4:22 am #2

Greatest gift you can give your child is a sibling. Go for it!!!!

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 1st, 2012, 4:31 am #3

Oops meant this for posting below

June 1st, 2012, 5:26 am #4

Sorry to be posting anonymously but I'm in a bit of shock (and could also be wrong).

I ordered the embryology report/my medical records from December in case our FET was unsuccessful.

I finally sat down to review the records and noticed that the Donor # on my records was # 1632.

The age of the donor we selected (1670) was 28. The age of the donor on my embryology report (1632) was 29.

I am in complete shock at the thought that maybe a mistake has been made. I called my clinic tonight and left a msg.

The only explanation i can think of for the # discrepancy is that the donor had a profile #1670 but was actual donor #1632 at the clinic, and turned 29 before ER.

I am so sorry to be posting this and just praying that a mistake has not been made.

Could also be like you said, she had a birthday or the clinic did some renumbering. I'm praying they have a good explanation for you in the morning.

June 1st, 2012, 6:57 am #5

I finally told my story here the other day about DD being born and finding out the day after her birth that she didn't have a blood type compatible with any of us, me, the donor or DH. We were sure that we'd been given the wrong embryos and I was afraid we would have someone try to take her away. (Just for the record, blood type was almost our ONLY criteria. Hair and eye color not at all. Height was number 2. Some type of higher education and being proven were the only other things on our list. We did not see a picture as that isn't an option where we cycled.) I thought we'd be easy to match.

In our case, we finally contacted the clinic a year after her birth and asked for all of their information on the donor (just 'for our records' we said) and it turned out that what they had sent us was wrong. When the doctor had typed it in the email he sent us, he had put my blood type in place of the donor's. Everything else was the same. We notified them then and they apologized profusely.

Try to stay calm. Maybe it is just what you suspected above and the numbers are all that have changed.

However, if it isn't, I just want to tell you that we thank God every day for the mix-up. No child could be more ours. We would never have picked our donor if we had had her correct blood type. I have no idea why they suggested her to us. The doctor who made the mix-up left the clinic just weeks later, so there's no one to ask. The day after she was born, my husband came in the room and I whispered the blood test results and cried. He leaned over and kissed her and said it was even more of a miracle that she found us, her real parents.

anon for this one for now

June 1st, 2012, 1:45 pm #6

after a sleepless night! there appears to be a coding discrepancy between the donor profile # and the donor retrieval #. No mix-up appears to be made.

All I can say is phew...

Thanks so much for your responses. I was in a bit of a state of shock last night.

June 1st, 2012, 1:47 pm #7

I finally told my story here the other day about DD being born and finding out the day after her birth that she didn't have a blood type compatible with any of us, me, the donor or DH. We were sure that we'd been given the wrong embryos and I was afraid we would have someone try to take her away. (Just for the record, blood type was almost our ONLY criteria. Hair and eye color not at all. Height was number 2. Some type of higher education and being proven were the only other things on our list. We did not see a picture as that isn't an option where we cycled.) I thought we'd be easy to match.

In our case, we finally contacted the clinic a year after her birth and asked for all of their information on the donor (just 'for our records' we said) and it turned out that what they had sent us was wrong. When the doctor had typed it in the email he sent us, he had put my blood type in place of the donor's. Everything else was the same. We notified them then and they apologized profusely.

Try to stay calm. Maybe it is just what you suspected above and the numbers are all that have changed.

However, if it isn't, I just want to tell you that we thank God every day for the mix-up. No child could be more ours. We would never have picked our donor if we had had her correct blood type. I have no idea why they suggested her to us. The doctor who made the mix-up left the clinic just weeks later, so there's no one to ask. The day after she was born, my husband came in the room and I whispered the blood test results and cried. He leaned over and kissed her and said it was even more of a miracle that she found us, her real parents.
I don't think it was a coincidence that the doctor left after the error was made! In the end, my DH and I agreed that we would feel blessed with whatever we got so to speak. Glad you felt ok in the end too about the blood type issue. thanks again.

June 1st, 2012, 2:27 pm #8

after a sleepless night! there appears to be a coding discrepancy between the donor profile # and the donor retrieval #. No mix-up appears to be made.

All I can say is phew...

Thanks so much for your responses. I was in a bit of a state of shock last night.

While I agree with Sameboat that you would have loved the child no matter what happened it is a relief that you have an answer to your questions and the donor you picked is the one you actually got. I read your situation before I went to bed last night and it must have really got to me because I was dreaming about donors when I woke up.

June 1st, 2012, 3:39 pm #9

All I can say is phew...

I read your post last night, but didn't have time to respond. Wishing you no more upsetting surprises like this! Maggie (in VA)

June 2nd, 2012, 6:22 am #10

All I can say is phew...

Wonderful! nt