Can anything fix bad eggs? New here

Can anything fix bad eggs? New here

EmilyK
EmilyK

January 19th, 2011, 8:48 pm #1

Hello, I'm new here and am still thinking about moving onto DE after 3 failed cycles with my own eggs. I was told by my Re that nothing can be done to improve egg quality. Since then I've come across a lot of blogs by women who also have crappy eggs. I read about a lot of them who are trying things like accupuncture, Chinese herbs, and eating a very specific diet. I haven't tried any of these things, because my RE told me nothing could improve egg quality. I haven't done any research on trying to improve egg quality, have just read about things that others have tried in their blogs. Wonder if anyone here tried these different approaches before moving on to DE. If so did you feel like it helped or was it a waste of time and money?
EK

January 19th, 2011, 9:00 pm #2

Wish I had time to go into it now. I tried my hardest to give my eggs fertile soil in which to complete the process of meiosis, even to the extent of learning about changes in spindle formation with age. Check out Dr Randine Lewis...she has a lot of interesting information.

January 19th, 2011, 9:17 pm #3

Hello, I'm new here and am still thinking about moving onto DE after 3 failed cycles with my own eggs. I was told by my Re that nothing can be done to improve egg quality. Since then I've come across a lot of blogs by women who also have crappy eggs. I read about a lot of them who are trying things like accupuncture, Chinese herbs, and eating a very specific diet. I haven't tried any of these things, because my RE told me nothing could improve egg quality. I haven't done any research on trying to improve egg quality, have just read about things that others have tried in their blogs. Wonder if anyone here tried these different approaches before moving on to DE. If so did you feel like it helped or was it a waste of time and money?
EK
here's the link:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/209394/

The women there are actively ttc with their eggs and diminished ovarian reserve/low egg quality, so it will probably be more top of mind for them. I didn't go too far down the road of trying to improve egg quality; I only did IVF once and had a mc, was ready to move on as I thought DE would be an easy fix (wasn't - that can take a few tries, too). During the time I was ttc, I did eliminate caffeine, alcohol, tried to eat really healthy, and did fresh wheatgrass shots whenever convenient, as that seemed easy enough, and had a healthy weight and tried to exercise (at least for the first year or two - after that it all went to h*ll due to IF meds and depression ). Did not try acupuncture until I was doing DE and failing those cycles too.

Agree with pp above - Randine Lewis has a good book about "alternative therapies" you might try, if you want to keep going w/ your eggs. Personally, I think it's more a matter of luck and stumbling onto the right egg, if you know you have a quality issue and it eventually works (assuming you have a pretty healthy lifestyle with good food and enough exercise, etc).

Good luck,
Kenny

January 19th, 2011, 10:19 pm #4

EK
were down to 'bad eggs'? Have you and your DH been tested for any other common causes of failure? How old are you and what is yours and DH's history? How good are your clinic with your age group and profile??

I would ask all these questions and try and have some basic implantation/failure testing as the results of these tests may also impact on your decision to move to DE. If it isn't a problem with age/chromosomally abnormal embryos, then DE will not fix the problem...

Best,
Daisy
xxx

gr8tful1
gr8tful1

January 19th, 2011, 10:41 pm #5

EK
We tried everything to improve my egg quality and DH's sperm quality. We even went to one of Randine Lewis' retreats. We both did acupuncture, herbs, vitamins. I also did wheat grass, mayan massage, teas, etc...That was after 3 miscarriages with my own eggs. I got pregnant one more time after doing all of this with OE's, but that ended in miscarriage also. We moved on to donor eggs, which still didn't work. I am finally pregnant with donor embryos.

That is not to say that some people don't have success doing these things. But, we didn't. Best of luck to you!

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 19th, 2011, 11:10 pm #6

glad you found success! With your history do you think this could have been a sperm issue all along? IMHO drs don't investigate male factor enough.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 19th, 2011, 11:19 pm #7

EK
there is a huge difference between 35 yr old eggs and 40 yr old eggs if you look at IVF stats, fertility falls off a cliff... I've heard some docs will "accept" a high FSH if the patient is on the younger side, because their theory is "the best indicator of egg quality is on your drivers license".

My FSH was very high (24) when I was 37, but the RE felt I could get pregnant with IVF because my age was relatively young. It worked but ended in m/c, and like Kenny I moved on to DE quickly after that.

January 20th, 2011, 1:10 am #8

glad you found success! With your history do you think this could have been a sperm issue all along? IMHO drs don't investigate male factor enough.
It very well could have been sperm issues. They didn't even do a sperm analysis until after the 4th m/c and it came back low in all measures. Acupuncture and herbs really helped and the sperm was almost normal by the time we did the egg donor cycle. But, our donor, who had 4 previous successful cycles with no less than 35 eggs overstimmed and we only got 11. From there, 9 fertilized, but at the FET 5 out of 7 died. So, it's very hard to say what the real cause of our issues was. I also have many issues--daughter of DES, homozygous for MTHFR, age, etc...

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by gr8tful1 on January 20th, 2011, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hope2009
Hope2009

January 20th, 2011, 2:37 am #9

EK
who wrote the Infertility Cure and also a great book if you have high FSH called Inconceivable by Julia INDICOVA. Since using a fertility centre wasn't an option for us due to our rural life and also money constraints I chose alternative medicines and therapies when ttc in my early 40's.

Now I don't know if my eggs were exactly crappy...just old and in my mind I needed to ensure my health was in peak shape and my hormones were functioning at a balanced level.

I find it very interesting that couples spend thousands of dollars on fertility drugs, Iui'S, iVF's and don't think that maybe all those meds and procedures are actually causing an imbalance...personally I think if you are over 40 and ttc the perfect combination is using Western methods alone with alternative therapies to ensure your health is always in peak shape.

I have read about women who after several years doing various procedures are overweight and very depressed...understandably...if they haven't attended to their spirit and their hormonal health.

Anyway...after reading the books above I started slowly changing our diet, our lifestyle, how I handled stress, the supplements I took and the ones for my DH as well since we are a team.

I worked with a naturopath, a Traditional Chinese Dr...who was actually this really Zen middle aged, blonde woman,..she kept saying when we push and try so hard the very thing we want most in life often doesn't come to us...when we let go and trust then everything flows....well she shared her philosophies along with her acupuncture needles.

Did all this stuff work...well at 43 I finally gave birth to our 5th child...after two years of ttc...I say Grace is our surrnder and wheat grass baby...and I think all this stuff really helped me keep my FSH level low....I got pg at almost 45..but lost the baby at 8 wks and I had my last chemical pgcy at 47....my FSH was only 4 at this time but despite the great ovarian reserves and doing all the supplements, yoga, meditation, diet and lifestyle adjustments...the only benefit was an extremely healthy, balanced body...now some would say that is enough but when you are wanting a baby it really isn't....but I think being in such great shape and being really strong physically, mentally, spiritually prepared me for a successful DE cycle and birth of our DS at age 49...and now I'm 51 and pg with twins....I think following alternative therapies helped me on this path....I remember reading an affirmation card over and over again at my yoga studio...I would pick it up at the end of the class...it said..Allow MIRACLES TO hAPPEN...AT THE TIME I thought that miraculously we would have another over 40 baby with my OE's...but what it really was saying was get out of the way and allow the spirit to come in a way that it was meant to.

So if you are going to continue using western fertility methods...try to add some alternatives...change your lifestyle with a better diet, supplements that your Dr.'s will approve of...we did a host of them...wheat grass is great for fertility...cleanses the liver of toxins and allows hormones to balance...a good multi vit, Vit C, Vit E, Co q10, L'arginine, Cal/mg, Cod liver oil, when ttc our DD I took vitex, false unicorn root, evening primrose oil, low dose aspirin, and red raspberry leaf tea for my lining...that is what I can remember...however you can take all the supplements you want in the world and I still think the mind set...is the key...as my TCM Dr. said...you have to let go and trust and allow the space to open up in your life for what you really want to come....well this this coming from someone who was on this path for 5 years before conceiving with DE's....it was an important journey...a pivotal time in my life. What I know is each of us has to find our own way as each of us has their own individual life lessons to learn on this path...we share the desire to be mom on these boards but how we achieve this result will be different for each of us.

good luck as you find your own way...I found that a good place to start was some meditative walks in nature....or at least some meditation int he morning and evening to get in touch with your soul...b/c there you will find the key to the door that is made just for you.

Blessings from Hope

Jamie
Jamie

January 20th, 2011, 3:34 am #10

EK
Hi there,
I lurk on this board but primarily post on the high FSH board. Anyway, I did IVF at 38.75 and 39. For my first IVF (with Dr. Check at Cooper) the lab told me that the eggs retrieved were "dark and grainy". They become ok embryos and I had a chemical pregnancy from that cycle.

I took large doses of CoQ10 and Ubiquinol for the next three months and did very intense "yin" chinese herbs given to me by a Fertile Soul practitioner (Sadna Singh in Houston--she trained with Randine Lewis and runs Randine's old clinic). My egg quality was MUCH better--2/3 of my fertilized eggs became blastocysts. Two were transferred and two frozen, and I am 30 weeks pregnant with a healthy singleton. This is great considering that I am 39 and it's my understanding that half of fertilized eggs going to blastocyst is good in younger women. I do think both of these things helped.