Butt Wipe University

Butt Wipe University

July 16th, 2015, 9:04 pm #1

OK, for all Robert's encopresis disruption, the fun has only been compounded because my son, Freddy, who potty trained early and well, refuses to wipe his own butt at 5yo. Finally I told him, Fred, we have to get past this. Here's how you do it. And we tried to have a tutorial. But he didn't seem to change his ways. He keeps yelling, "I'm reaaadddyy!" when he gets through with his business. So, I asked him at last, Freddy, are you afraid of getting poop on your hands? And he allowed as how this was true.

OK, I don't know where to go with this. Needless to say, this is a bit hard to take for the woman who at the height of potty training hell once found herself almost sobbing, "If I could just go one day without touching poop . . . ." Because I seem to have some perverse ability to get it on myself, even if there's just a dab somewhere exposed on a pull-up or something. The only other person I've heard of with this problem was on my ODD parents support forum, and boy, that's the least of an ODD parent's poop issues. I explained to Freddy that most people will accidentally get a bit of poop on their hands once in a while wiping their butts, and while it's unpleasant, it won't kill you, although it's very important to clean your hands thoroughly if it happens.

Any ideas?

TIA!

Maggie (in VA)
Last edited by maggie1961 on July 18th, 2015, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 17th, 2015, 12:47 am #2

nt
Last edited by BabsA on July 28th, 2015, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 17th, 2015, 3:38 am #3

You know how hard it is to imagine that an up-tight attitude about poop is contributing to this. I asked the boys what they were thankful for tonight at prayer time, and Freddy went off into giggles saying poo-poo and pee-pee in the potty (I said I was grateful for toilets, too). Anyway, I'm thinking maybe this is more sensory weirdness. Freddy looks neurotypical standing next to Robert, but he's got plenty of his own quirks. But that doesn't exactly provide a lot of answers except maybe to ask on the sensory forum.

He is pretty susceptible to bribery, though. Let me think on that.

Thanks!

Maggie (in VA)

July 17th, 2015, 4:33 pm #4

OK, for all Robert's encopresis disruption, the fun has only been compounded because my son, Freddy, who potty trained early and well, refuses to wipe his own butt at 5yo. Finally I told him, Fred, we have to get past this. Here's how you do it. And we tried to have a tutorial. But he didn't seem to change his ways. He keeps yelling, "I'm reaaadddyy!" when he gets through with his business. So, I asked him at last, Freddy, are you afraid of getting poop on your hands? And he allowed as how this was true.

OK, I don't know where to go with this. Needless to say, this is a bit hard to take for the woman who at the height of potty training hell once found herself almost sobbing, "If I could just go one day without touching poop . . . ." Because I seem to have some perverse ability to get it on myself, even if there's just a dab somewhere exposed on a pull-up or something. The only other person I've heard of with this problem was on my ODD parents support forum, and boy, that's the least of an ODD parent's poop issues. I explained to Freddy that most people will accidentally get a bit of poop on their hands once in a while wiping their butts, and while it's unpleasant, it won't kill you, although it's very important to clean your hands thoroughly if it happens.

Any ideas?

TIA!

Maggie (in VA)
my daughter washes her hands after using the restroom, but she doesn't wipe well (or at all) and forgets to flush the toilet. And she is 6. I figured it will take time and may not happen overnight.

July 17th, 2015, 5:12 pm #5

Any ideas?

TIA!

Maggie (in VA)
I had the same issue with one of my twin boys who just turned 6. He refused to wipe his own butt. He'd sit on the toilet and scream for us to wipe his butt and cry and cry for us. We kept telling him that he is old enough to wipe his own butt and he kept saying just a few more weeks. Then, when just a few more weeks went by, he kept telling us he'll do it when he turns 6.

He turned 6 in June and kept yelling for us to wipe his butt and this time we held him to it. I still had to go in the bathroom with him and hand him the paper for a week or so and remind him and show him again how to do it (he still does it all wrong but that will come in time). But when he would yell for us, we would say that we were in the middle of doing something and to hold tight and then we'll be up and make him wait extra long. We figured by a certain point he'd get bored of sitting there and realize how much fun he was missing, and do it himself. It worked over time. He still calls for us when his bowel movement is a little loose and I kind of get that is icky for him so I still go in the bathroom and talk him through it...

This is my same twin who is still in pull ups that are wet every single morning. I was going to wait until he turned 6 to address this issue head on- not sure what I'm going to do about that but I'm going to have a chat with his pediatrician and then maybe get one of those alarms. He really wants to be able to wear underpants to bed like his brother and I think he's over the age where that chemical kicks in.

It so ironic, because the other boy twin was so fastidious about using the potty at a young age and pretty much potty trained himself and hardly ever has nighttime pee accidents.

tigger

July 17th, 2015, 7:11 pm #6

Any ideas?

TIA!

Maggie (in VA)
son. He has autism and is really, really grossed out by poo and touching it at all. He also has a phobia about blocking the loo with toilet paper (this has happened and it really upset him).

I tried bribery but he still finds it hard to touch his bottom and deal with the poo. I was so tired of him shouting to me from the loo to 'wipe my bottom mummy!'.

Recently, he has started to attempt to wipe, but because of his ongoing fear of blocking/poo, he now just uses half a roll of toilet paper (huge amount) and does a cursory wipe and then puts it on the bathroom floor or bin which is more gross to me than just me wiping his bottom!

I have not words of advice, but just wanted to post in solidarity. It is driving me nuts!

D xxx

July 18th, 2015, 3:18 pm #7

You know how hard it is to imagine that an up-tight attitude about poop is contributing to this. I asked the boys what they were thankful for tonight at prayer time, and Freddy went off into giggles saying poo-poo and pee-pee in the potty (I said I was grateful for toilets, too). Anyway, I'm thinking maybe this is more sensory weirdness. Freddy looks neurotypical standing next to Robert, but he's got plenty of his own quirks. But that doesn't exactly provide a lot of answers except maybe to ask on the sensory forum.

He is pretty susceptible to bribery, though. Let me think on that.

Thanks!

Maggie (in VA)
nt
Last edited by BabsA on July 28th, 2015, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 19th, 2015, 4:25 pm #8

Any ideas?

TIA!

Maggie (in VA)
and she only very recently started wiping herself. In fact, in her age group, her friends seem fairly equally divided between those who still need help and those who manage on their own. I wouldn't worry about this, Maggie. I would think this will resolve itself in a matter of months.

July 20th, 2015, 2:57 pm #9

Between Freddy's refusal to wipe himself -- and he holds his poop till he comes home just so his trusted butt wiper can do it, BTW -- evenings are far too much like potty training as his brother with encopresis also frequently soils himself. And all this is happening while I'm trying to cook dinner. You think it will resolve itself in a matter of months, and I say, from your lips to God's ear. Yes, I remember having a hard time getting myself clean at that age, too, and being ashamed if I had skid marks. And Freddy has been so good about toilet training, it's hard to complain, but maybe it's being, oh, so close that has me weary. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

July 20th, 2015, 7:49 pm #10

Hang in there, sister.
(This parenting thing is waaay harder than I thought it was going to be.)