Brakes failed today. Very scary!

Brakes failed today. Very scary!

August 7th, 2012, 1:38 am #1

I was with DD on my way to pick up some legal docs from my lawyer re: my mom's death. I applied the brakes (husband's car, a 1999 Audi) and they felt sluggish and not as responsive as usual. But the car did stop. At the stop light, I looked around for where I could safely pull over in case the brakes did fail, and sure enough, they did. Thankfully I kept my wits about me and it was good that I had "preplanned" what I was going to do. I had to cross on-coming traffic because of the lane I was in and how many cars there were, but we safely pulled into a parking lot. I was very, very shaken up but called DH, AAA, etc. Thank God this didn't happen on one of summer road trips on winding mountain roads, or the freeway...

August 7th, 2012, 1:56 am #2

For something so bad to happen, it surely happened at a good time. Very glad you are ok.

August 7th, 2012, 3:46 am #3

I was with DD on my way to pick up some legal docs from my lawyer re: my mom's death. I applied the brakes (husband's car, a 1999 Audi) and they felt sluggish and not as responsive as usual. But the car did stop. At the stop light, I looked around for where I could safely pull over in case the brakes did fail, and sure enough, they did. Thankfully I kept my wits about me and it was good that I had "preplanned" what I was going to do. I had to cross on-coming traffic because of the lane I was in and how many cars there were, but we safely pulled into a parking lot. I was very, very shaken up but called DH, AAA, etc. Thank God this didn't happen on one of summer road trips on winding mountain roads, or the freeway...
I'm so glad you are alright. I can't imagine how scary that must have been. That is one of my nightmares. I'm shaking just thinking about it.

August 7th, 2012, 4:26 am #4

Hi Renata,
That must have been a heart pumping in the throat experience. Was just thinking also put your hazard lights on and hold the horn as you drive if possible.
I had brakes fail twice. I too was mentally prepared. At the second time I turned to my mom and said 'thats it for me not driving this anymore, we are getting a tow'. We did and had everything fixed.
Might I add that she left me that car in her will and I drive it everyday ahaha
I'le also add that she and I had a head on collision with a brick wall in a similiar car and we survived. Mercedes
Megga scary stuff. Take care, THK

August 7th, 2012, 11:18 am #5

That sounds like a horrible experience. I am glad to hear you are all safe!

August 7th, 2012, 1:09 pm #6

So glad you're safe.

August 7th, 2012, 2:42 pm #7

Hi Renata,
That must have been a heart pumping in the throat experience. Was just thinking also put your hazard lights on and hold the horn as you drive if possible.
I had brakes fail twice. I too was mentally prepared. At the second time I turned to my mom and said 'thats it for me not driving this anymore, we are getting a tow'. We did and had everything fixed.
Might I add that she left me that car in her will and I drive it everyday ahaha
I'le also add that she and I had a head on collision with a brick wall in a similiar car and we survived. Mercedes
Megga scary stuff. Take care, THK
Didn't think about the emergency lights, though. Sun was so bright doubt anyone would have seen them.

August 7th, 2012, 7:13 pm #8

whew! that would have been so scary! Glad you kept your cool.

August 8th, 2012, 3:47 am #9