Bethlyn, has ds started kindergarten? Anyone else with brand new kindergarteners?

Bethlyn, has ds started kindergarten? Anyone else with brand new kindergarteners?

August 25th, 2012, 6:26 pm #1

How is it going?

Ds just missed the cut-off, so we have one more year. He is in a pretty structured "transitional kindergarten," though, so he will be learning a lot of the kindergarten curriculum. I'm really excited for him, but glad he has one year before the real thing.

I just can't believe these pgs. we so longed for finally resulted in our babies & now they are children who are school age. How did that happen??

Please post your kindergarten stories for those of us one school year behind!

August 26th, 2012, 2:15 am #2

There is no question I am more excited (and nervous)than he is!.. he is a very laid back kind of kid, not easily excitable (sp?) but is very attuned to what's going on. We just got notification today of his bus number and his teacher's name so now it's REAL and on Thursday we will meet his teacher, drop off his school supplies and spend some time in his real classroom (!).

His daycare has about 10 'graduates' who will leave the daycare next week and DS keeps asking if his friends will be at his new school (they won't). Of course, I am still very aware that he is the youngest in the whole Kindergarten and he is small for his age which is odd because he was in the 90th percentile for height during the early years.. he has since joined the 50th percentile but his friends seem bigger than him, not by much, but by a little bit.

If we lived elsewhere, he would be staying in daycare for another year, but we don't, so it is what it is.. My DH thinks it's a good thing (barring all the negative reasons for going to K early) to start now, since he will have a jump on life and have that extra year of income.. and of course he will be an MD with a MIGHTY income to support his folks in retirement

So, yes, he will start after Labor Day, he will take a lunch bag and a backpack and folders and he will be a real student! Wahh, wasn't he just born? It sure does seem like yesterday and it has just flown by, so very fast.

I'll let you know how it goes after he begins. I would love to hear other moms stories about their Kindergartners' first week too.

And how are you? Can you share your health scare update or even better email me, I am concerned and thinking of you. Thanks for asking about me

August 26th, 2012, 2:29 am #3

How is it going?

Ds just missed the cut-off, so we have one more year. He is in a pretty structured "transitional kindergarten," though, so he will be learning a lot of the kindergarten curriculum. I'm really excited for him, but glad he has one year before the real thing.

I just can't believe these pgs. we so longed for finally resulted in our babies & now they are children who are school age. How did that happen??

She has been in Kindergarten for a while but is starting International school on 3rd September. She had her entrance exam last week and passed with flying colors. Two of my older children go to the same school, Alyssa is in Year 8 and Sophie in year 12. They have certainly grown up quickly. Anton and Allanah had a week and Kindergarten but I decided to keep them home for another 6 months as Allanah was definitely not ready - she screamed for 4.5 hours none stop every day and the teachers just couldn't cope with her - Anton was OK but I didn't want to send one twin without the other.

August 26th, 2012, 2:56 am #4

How is it going?

Although some people still "hold back" entrance if their kid has a summer BD.

I'm glad we have another year to catch up with speech issues although my DS is already tall and fairly big (54 pounds) and will probably be the biggest boy in class.

I know, hard to believe its almost here!

The 1st 4 years were slow and fast but I think once they enter school it gets faster. Boo hoo.

Thanks for posting ladies!

1st kids for us!
5th DE attempt

August 26th, 2012, 6:41 am #5

How is it going?

I am VERY intimidated by the idea of my little girl in a classroom with 4, 5 and 6-year-olds! They mix the groups here on purpose. 25 kids in a class, 3 classes in most Kindergartens, including Babyboat's, and 2 adults per class. The goal is more about socializing than academics, with short lessons throughout the morning. The 6-year-olds are sometimes taken out to be taught school-related topics together, so they build up another class for an hour or so every day.

DD will be the 2nd youngest. One girl is a month younger.

I don't know what I'm going to do without her every morning. (We usually have some sort of activity together, zoo, playground, swimming, etc every morning and are home in the afternoons.) I'm planning on having her there for the regular hours, 8 to 12:15, for the first two months and then to put her in the after-school program until 2:30 (just because the baby is coming and I'm afraid I won't be able to do much with her in dark and snowy Germany with a newborn due in December). But we'll see how that goes.

I had considered the Forest Kindergarten for her because I liked the student-teacher ratio of 8 to 1, but it's a 15-minute drive from our home and I don't like the idea of a baby spending an extra hour every day in the car. Plus, DH was pretty unsure of her being outside after our extremely cold winter last year. (And I also didn't like the idea of the shovel to dig when you have to poop in the snowy woods. I would hate that.)

Oh, I hope she and all of your little ones love their new Kindergartens!

August 26th, 2012, 1:17 pm #6

How is it going?

Even though they went to full-day pre-school last year, there is something amazing about the fact that they're starting Kindergarten, now. Smooth sailing for us, since they're at the same school as last year. The school has a Reggio-Emilia approach which is very experiential, hands on, and we love what they are learning, there. There is only one class per grade, so the twins are in the same "homeroom," but they are broken up into different groups for Spanish, drama, gym, atelier (art), music, cooking and lunch, so it's kind of the best of both worlds, IMO. We hope to keep them in this school until high school.

Lynnette

Here are a "few" pics, lol:

August 26th, 2012, 3:32 pm #7

I think you'd hear Reggio huh??? from most people. They look so proud - absolutely adorable.

August 26th, 2012, 8:43 pm #8

Even though they went to full-day pre-school last year, there is something amazing about the fact that they're starting Kindergarten, now. Smooth sailing for us, since they're at the same school as last year. The school has a Reggio-Emilia approach which is very experiential, hands on, and we love what they are learning, there. There is only one class per grade, so the twins are in the same "homeroom," but they are broken up into different groups for Spanish, drama, gym, atelier (art), music, cooking and lunch, so it's kind of the best of both worlds, IMO. We hope to keep them in this school until high school.

Lynnette

Here are a "few" pics, lol:

Truly adorable!! I hope they LOVE kindergarten!

August 27th, 2012, 2:01 am #9

I think you'd hear Reggio huh??? from most people. They look so proud - absolutely adorable.

it is either. Reggio-Emilia started in Italy around the same time as Montessori, and everyone knows what that is...I wish there were more of them, too. Heck, I wish I had gone to one!

Take care!

Lynnette

August 27th, 2012, 2:02 am #10

Truly adorable!! I hope they LOVE kindergarten!