Beta rose again -methotrexate questions

Beta rose again -methotrexate questions

February 10th, 2014, 10:15 pm #1

I think I am just cursed when it comes to anything IF-related. My beta is now up to 856 (515 on Thursday) so RE wants me to take methotrexate. Has anyone gotten this while cycling OOT and if so, where? When I asked the nurse where they usually suggest someone get the shot when OOT, her response was that she's never run into this situation before... Great... Don't I need to be monitored to see if beta drops? I feel like no one is taking care of me at all and that I'm on my own to figure it out...It's after 5 locally so I can't call anyone until tomorrow.

February 10th, 2014, 10:28 pm #2

Oh, I wish they had better answers for you - Yes, you do need to be monitored to make sure beta returns to zero. Will they offer you misoprostol? It's a pill - I don't know the why or why not behind when it's appropriate versus methotrexate, but it would certainly be an easier first step.

February 10th, 2014, 10:57 pm #3

He didn't offer it but isn't that used to end a uterine pregnancy ? We couldn't see a sac or anything in my ute on Friday. I also already bled last weekend and my lining was at 6.5 so nothing really to expel from uterus. I asked about doing another u/s to look for something before we do MTX but was told no... Getting treated by an out of state doctor really sucks when bad stuff happens. I feel like I'm left to figure it out myself.
Last edited by Mrs.McIrish on February 10th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 10th, 2014, 11:28 pm #4

I think I am just cursed when it comes to anything IF-related. My beta is now up to 856 (515 on Thursday) so RE wants me to take methotrexate. Has anyone gotten this while cycling OOT and if so, where? When I asked the nurse where they usually suggest someone get the shot when OOT, her response was that she's never run into this situation before... Great... Don't I need to be monitored to see if beta drops? I feel like no one is taking care of me at all and that I'm on my own to figure it out...It's after 5 locally so I can't call anyone until tomorrow.
Oh Mrs. McIrish, I'm so sorry that this has become such a nightmare for you. Sending you hugs, but also wanted to say, absolutely you need monitoring after the methotrexate injection. With one of my ectopics, the mx didn't work- beta continued to rise, and I would up needing surgery to remove the tube. Not saying this will happen for you, but that it can, and it can become dangerous quickly.

Do you have a local RE you can see ASAP? I think it's wise to get an ultrasound. I don't want to be morbid, but if the sac can be found and there's a h/b, I think surgery is indicated. Plus, even if not, the methotrexate is a nasty injection (IM, but best to have administered by a nurse- and this is coming from someone who did her own IM progesterone shots).

Wishing you a speedy recovery...

Piper
Piper

February 10th, 2014, 11:37 pm #5

This is just unbearable and I am so sad and frustrated for you.

Who is your RE at RBA? Can he or she communicate with your OB at home? Or your GP if you don't have an OB?

My only oe pregnancy ended in a mc at 14 weeks. One week after the m/c, I had to be at a long term contract job on the other side of the country and my beta refused to drop as well. I think it took almost three months before it was back to below 10 and I had to see an OB in that town several times who communicated with my regular OB. I never knew the reason.

You do need someone following your healthcare.

I hope this resolves quickly and again, I am so sorry you are going through this. It just seems unfair.

February 10th, 2014, 11:47 pm #6

Oh Mrs. McIrish, I'm so sorry that this has become such a nightmare for you. Sending you hugs, but also wanted to say, absolutely you need monitoring after the methotrexate injection. With one of my ectopics, the mx didn't work- beta continued to rise, and I would up needing surgery to remove the tube. Not saying this will happen for you, but that it can, and it can become dangerous quickly.

Do you have a local RE you can see ASAP? I think it's wise to get an ultrasound. I don't want to be morbid, but if the sac can be found and there's a h/b, I think surgery is indicated. Plus, even if not, the methotrexate is a nasty injection (IM, but best to have administered by a nurse- and this is coming from someone who did her own IM progesterone shots).

Wishing you a speedy recovery...
Since I'm not a patient at the local RE, they don't want to take responsibility for me. That's what they told me last year when we thought I might have an ectopic then. My PCP just called me and said to call gyn tomorrow/ go to ER if any pain. Hopefully my gyn will help me and do an u/s first. Since my HCG is still low (859, today is 7 weeks), I don't think I'm at risk yet for a rupture. But this is just miserable..

February 10th, 2014, 11:58 pm #7

This is just unbearable and I am so sad and frustrated for you.

Who is your RE at RBA? Can he or she communicate with your OB at home? Or your GP if you don't have an OB?

My only oe pregnancy ended in a mc at 14 weeks. One week after the m/c, I had to be at a long term contract job on the other side of the country and my beta refused to drop as well. I think it took almost three months before it was back to below 10 and I had to see an OB in that town several times who communicated with my regular OB. I never knew the reason.

You do need someone following your healthcare.

I hope this resolves quickly and again, I am so sorry you are going through this. It just seems unfair.
My GP just called and said she isn't trained in giving methrotrexate so she said to call gyn. I moved last summer so my gyn is an hour away. Guess I need to find one closer to home after this debacle is over..I have a call scheduled for tomorrow mid-morning with my RE at RBA and will ask him what to do if no one will treat me. I only spoke to a nurse today.

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

February 11th, 2014, 2:10 am #8

but just wanted to say that I'm so sorry that nothing seems to be easy. You are an amazing woman with so much strength but I'm so sorry it has to be tested repeatedly. I wish you a speedy ending to this.

Stacey
Stacey

February 11th, 2014, 4:04 am #9

But wanted to let you know I am thinking of you. I want this to be over for you, Tell rba that you need help with this. Maybe they know a doctor in your town they can call for you.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 11th, 2014, 12:34 pm #10

I had the first dose at the hospital and the 2nd was a women's clinic IN the hospital - while I was away from home. Since its chemo - not every dr will carry it - so you may be sent to the hospital for the actual dosing.

I would ask for another scan as well - my gyn wouldn't make a call until they saw something or beta was over 2,000 - unless there was pain.

HUGS -