Bedrest... is it really necessary?

Bedrest... is it really necessary?

Anon
Anon

January 5th, 2011, 5:11 pm #1

Hi,
Is bedrest after ET really necessary beyond the day of the transfer? I've heard so many different opinions about it that I'm not sure what's right or not. Is it realistic to lie down for that long?

Thanks!

January 5th, 2011, 5:24 pm #2

But my doctor says to do it.

So I'm going to do it.

I assume he has some kind of evidence from personal experience or observation.

But really, look around. Everything says NO. It doesn't even make scientific sense really...you can have an embryo implant during a war when you are fleeing bombs.

The uterus is designed to hold that little thing in no matter what the mother's body is doing.

I even read one thing that said implantation rates were WORSE with bed rest.

But I just have learned from experience that I should simply do what the doctor says because otherwise I tend to blame myself if something goes wrong. And it really probably can't hurt.

Kacee
Kacee

January 5th, 2011, 6:19 pm #3

Hi,
Is bedrest after ET really necessary beyond the day of the transfer? I've heard so many different opinions about it that I'm not sure what's right or not. Is it realistic to lie down for that long?

Thanks!
bedrest makes a difference, however...many people do it. With my last DE cycle, our donor took quite a bit longer to stim. I transferred the afternoon before we were to fly back to the West Coast. I did acupuncture before transfer and then walked back to the acupuncturist after transfer for another treatment. I then walked to Whole Foods, grocery shopped and called Dh to pick me. I did rest at the hotel for a couple of hours, but with two toddlers that was next to impossible. We had to get up at 3:00 AM to drive to the airport and fly home. We took three different flights (love those airlines miles) and got stranded in the Las Vegas airport, overnight. We flew to Los Angeles the next morning. We then drove 4 hours home, unloaded the car, did laundry, repacked the car and kids and took of for a two week workshop at Cal Poly, in San Luis Obispo. It was a coaching workshop, which we help run. The campus is incredibly hilly. When I was not working or teaching, I had complete care of two toddlers in a college dorm. The result of that transfer is sitting next to me.

I had another RE tell me about a patient that less than 24 hours after transfer, embarked on a cross country bicycle trip. She has healthy twins. There is also the story of the woman who's parachute did not open and she did not lose the pregnancy.

Anon
Anon

January 5th, 2011, 7:00 pm #4

What great stories!
Thank you both for your replies!

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

January 6th, 2011, 12:17 am #5

Hi,

Thanks!
I work in a hospital. I'm on my feet all day and walk 4-5 miles a day within hospital. I also do lots of lifting and moving (patients and equipment) and RE told me I could go to work the day after transfer. I will definitely be careful and limit the lifting. I might take the day after transfer off to relax just b/c the environment is very fast paced and very stressful.

January 6th, 2011, 4:35 am #6

Hi,

Thanks!
I went to transfer and then went immediately to a wedding and looked after someone elses young children over night. I got positive POAS 4 days later. This was my only 5 day transfer too.

January 12th, 2011, 11:27 pm #7

Hi,

Thanks!
Really, I just did it out of desperation, but that's the cycle that resulted in my beautiful daughter (I did not get pg. on my previous "perfect" DE cycle in which I didn't do bed rest). So do I recommend it? Yes! You'll never know if that was what made the difference, and at least if you do it, you'll know you did everything you could.

Maya