Bear with me ... rookie questions

Bear with me ... rookie questions

Molly
Molly

August 16th, 2011, 12:47 am #1

Hello,

DH and I are considering going down the DE path. We are trying to navigate how it works and estimate costs.

I've done IVF so i have a sense of those drugs. What drugs do you use when doing a DE cycle? Everything except the stims?

We got a quote from a Boston hospital for costs (about $12k for DE cycle), but we are also trying to figure out what that includes (I'm guessing it includes donor's ivf and my monitoring and transfer?). We are also trying to determine what additional costs we will incur .. agency fees, etc.?

Would you be willing to give us the "DE 101" course on steps, questions, costs? How do you even pick an agency - any tips?

We are in the Boston area.

Thank you so very much,
M

August 16th, 2011, 1:26 am #2

I think you are going to hear a bunch of different things. It sounds like you are considering an agency donor. There are some clinics that also have donors. If you use a clinic donor and are a single recipient, you can have "all in" costs of as under $8,000 or over $20,000 per cycle. As a rule, single recipient cycles where an agency donor is used is going to be more expensive than when clinic donors that are split cycles (more than 1 recipient). Reasons to use agency donor include if you wanted non-anonymous donation (ie some kind of contact with the donor) or if you had some very specific donor requirement -- there is typically more selection on the agency side. Reasons to use a clinic is if anonymous donors are okay and price. Some clinics have no pictures of their donors, some clinics have baby/childhood pictures, some clinics even have adult pictures but most clinic donors are anonymous. There is also the option of shared risk which a number of clinics have. That said, shared risk plans are not all the same -- some cover everything, some cover only partial costs. Only 1 that I know of is a 100% guarantee or your money back -- Shady Grove in the DC area -- for $29K you get 6 fresh cycles to take home a live baby or your money back. Not to be a downer, but the thing about DE is that it does not work 100% -- the overall success rate is somewhere between 50%-60% which is where the shared risk option may be attractive. I am not completely familiar with the clinics in the Boston area but if you want shared risk you might have to travel.

For me, I did 3 fresh DE cycles and 2 FET cycles. I got pregnant on first DE cycle but m/c at 9 wks, no frosties on that single recipient cycle. BFN on my 2nd fresh DE cycle along with the FET for that cycle - again was a single recipient cycle. Switched to SG and did a 1 for 3 split (1 donor, 3 recipients)DE cycle and got pregnant on the FET for that cycle. I did that at SG. I always used an anonymous donor which was the right thing for my family. I now have a 9 month old little girl.

My single recipient cycles were $20K including all donor fees, donor meds, donor u/s, my u/s, donor retrieval, my transfer and my meds. The donor fee was around $3K -- I think. Recipient meds are not that expensive -- I think the biggest cost is if you get pregnant you have to take the progesterone and estrogen for about 12 weeks. If your clinic is saying $12K I would ask specificially what is in there -- donor monitoring, retrieveal, transfer, donor meds, your monitoring? I don't have much advice on agencies since I only used clinic donors.

I am sure more people will chime in with their thoughts. Good Luck!!
Last edited by JuJules on August 16th, 2011, 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

minniet
minniet

August 16th, 2011, 2:05 am #3

Hello,

DH and I are considering going down the DE path. We are trying to navigate how it works and estimate costs.

I've done IVF so i have a sense of those drugs. What drugs do you use when doing a DE cycle? Everything except the stims?

We got a quote from a Boston hospital for costs (about $12k for DE cycle), but we are also trying to figure out what that includes (I'm guessing it includes donor's ivf and my monitoring and transfer?). We are also trying to determine what additional costs we will incur .. agency fees, etc.?

Would you be willing to give us the "DE 101" course on steps, questions, costs? How do you even pick an agency - any tips?

Thank you so very much,
M
I can outline our costs, we have had a very difficult time finding a suitable donor. I did not think we were that picky, but we did require verification of all stated information which was verifiable, and then it got tricky. We also needed someone with some academic potential.

I have done 5 (maybe 6..can't remember now) OE cycles with multiples chemicals and mc, went to donor and fresh and FET failed. Subsequently found I had a hidden large fibroid in my uterus and a small septum and clotting factor. Make sure you check this all out with the appropriate RE before you spend a lot of cash. I have seen and been treated now by 3 different REs with differing expertise, and have done consults with 4 others.

For a cycle in Ca, these are pretty regular costs. Other major cities would be the same. As the pp mentioned, there are other ways to go about it -- sharing a donor, using frozen eggs, lower cost clinics, etc.

$6000 agency fee
$13,000 clinic total fee
$7000 -$10,000 donor fee (estimated, proven)
$1500 - $ 3000 meds (we need heparin and intralipids), est.
$800 immune work up bloodwork
$1200 various basic bw and FDA works ups of donors which did not work out (learned to only do these tests after we had gotten profile fully verified)
$400 insurance (included in my agency fee)
$1200 legal (included in my agency fee)
$1500-$3000 travel fee projected if we use out of state donor

It all depends on what your priorities are. If knowing certain info about the donor is important to you, you will need to get that info. If you do not have needs for verification, your least expensive bet is a clinic with their own donor pool. However, you can not count on the clinics to do anything other than medical verification on their donors from what I have seen, so if you need more background verified on a donor, so far, my research has netted two agencies I have found who will do verification: Peas in a Pod (and you have to ask) or NE Assisted Fert. Katy Encalade has also been recommended on this board, but I never pursued a donor with her, so I am not familiar with how they work.

Good luck!

Denise
Denise

August 16th, 2011, 2:06 am #4

Hello,

Thank you so very much,
M
What is your price range is a good place to start then we can advise you better.

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

August 16th, 2011, 2:24 am #5

Hello,

Thank you so very much,
M
I think the price you rec'd was just for ivf costs. For our cycle in addition to clinic costs for ivf we paid $4,300 administrative fee to clinic, $5,000 to donor, $3,500 donor agency fee, $1,000 Atty fees for donor contract, approx. $4,000 for donor meds, and around $500 for my meds. When fresh cycle failed it was another $2,500 for FET. Embryo storage is $85 per month. We have only one frostie left from this cycle and have not had success yet (BFN on fresh tx and early m/c with FET). If the last frostie does not implant and grow we are moving on to the Shady Grove program mentioned by the pp.

In terms of picking a donor, I started with a list of agencies that my clinic gave me and then obtained access to donors and when we found a donor we liked we went with that agency. My experience was that the agency was very responsive prior to us deciding to use them and sending the payment. After the communication was not as timely and it was a little work on my end and from the DE coordinator at the clinic to get everything submitted so the cycle could be initiated.

Best of luck to you! You will find lots of support on this board.

August 16th, 2011, 6:43 am #6

Hello,

Thank you so very much,
M
We were at the clinic in Zlin. (You can google zlincrm -- Zlin center of reproductive medicine.) The chances of getting loads of eggs are lower than in the US because they don't stim as much as in the US for safety reasons, but their results are good. Donors are, by law, 100% anonymous. Cost is lower than in the US, even with airfare and hotel, BUT you have to be there for a week if you're using your DH's sperm, so there goes your vacation.

You'll have to do a lot of reading up to decide what exactly you want. We were/are happy with total anonymity forever, but now that we have our DD, we're a bit sad that our donor is no longer available to cycle for a sibling.

Good luck to you. I know it can seem a bit overwhelming at first but this is a wonderful way to build a family. I'm so happy we have this option.

August 16th, 2011, 2:39 pm #7

What is your price range is a good place to start then we can advise you better.
My working assumption is always that cost is an issue, but there are plenty of well-to-do people out there for whom that's much less the case. If money's not an issue, then sure, I'd say go to CCRM or GIVF, but most of the ladies who arrive here are pretty tapped out from multiple IUI's, OE IVF's, uncovered gyn procedures, etc. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

August 16th, 2011, 3:22 pm #8

Hello,

Thank you so very much,
M
I am also from Boston and went to several fertility clinics for IVF and looked into them for DE. We found most of the clinics were in the same range of 35k - 42k for one single DE cycle. I believe RSC in Lexington has one of these several tries guarantee program. In the end, we went to CNY. We did the four rounds of DE for around 45k. At that point we knew we were not always on the good side of the statistics and wanted to be ready...especially if plan C- adoption came our way.
We did our first round with a BFN and no frosties. We were glad to have 3 more tries to achieve our dream...and on the second fresh attempt it worked, I am 16 weeks and we have 9 frozen embryos.
Do I think that CNY has the best stats, of course not. Did I find their donor pool stellar...not really. We did find several women that we had a good list and we were able to get our first choice each cycle. I did like their staff and found the facilities wonderfully non clinical. It was a very relaxed transfer with acupuncture before and after. Also- we would travel up to Lenox , stay over a day or two and make a nice few days of it. We also were able to go to Kripalu between retrieval and transfer one time, which really helped to put us in a good place.
MA insurance did not cover any of our DE cycles, except for medication. Between our first round and our second we switched insurance (DH got a new job) and some meds were not covered, but it was negligible.
Good luck with your choice. Go and interview many clinics...you really should- and google MD's reviews.

another Boston person
another Boston person

August 16th, 2011, 4:44 pm #9

Hello,

Thank you so very much,
M
I've been treated at RSC & BWH and explored Boston IVF & Baystate in Springfield. I was able to finesse insurance coverage so I'm not much help w/ costs (other than try to get most tests done outside of RE's office so your insurance will cover and look for generic meds - estrogen pills from Target as an example) BUT do want to say I finally was succesful (now 16 weeks with a singleton) w/ BWH with second agency donor. I think they are technically competent but their office operation & support is a nightmare to deal with including waiting room cattle call for ultrasounds and parking headaches/expense -- translation STRESS which you don't need. (I suggest you make use of their chestnut hill ambulatory facility when you can and use e-mail so you have a record of requests/communication.)

RSC support was great. Boston IVF was used by friends. Two negatives - cattle call waiting areas and they require unmarried couples to see a lawyer which is expensive and therefore a barrier to receiving healthcare.

Baystate uses inhouse donors but they don't have a pool standing by. They advertise once they have enough patients waiting. You would save on an agency fee (roughly $6k)but would likely wait longer for a donor. They give first priority to couples without children. Baystate does use vitrification to freeze which supposedly increases your chances with frozen transfers. They DO NOT think outside the box when it comes to treatment. If you are unlucky to fall on the wrong side of the odds - you'll have to push them to be innovative, i.e. consider a cycle w/ part partner sperm and part donor sperm which they were NOT willing to do w/ me. I could pay them for another cycle & donor fee ($7,500) if a second straight partner sperm cycle did not work for me!!!!!

If using a clinic with an inhouse pool, think about the ethnic population living in the area - that pool is likely to be what you have to choose from. For example, in western mass there are a lot of people of polish, hispanic and irish descent so finding a fair or hispanic donor is more likely.

Good luck with your journey and manage expectations from the start. DE is a roller coaster just like OE IF treatment. It is NOT the magic bullet RE's lead you to believe. You need to be a strong advocate for yourself.

elizabeth
elizabeth

August 16th, 2011, 5:24 pm #10

I think the price you rec'd was just for ivf costs. For our cycle in addition to clinic costs for ivf we paid $4,300 administrative fee to clinic, $5,000 to donor, $3,500 donor agency fee, $1,000 Atty fees for donor contract, approx. $4,000 for donor meds, and around $500 for my meds. When fresh cycle failed it was another $2,500 for FET. Embryo storage is $85 per month. We have only one frostie left from this cycle and have not had success yet (BFN on fresh tx and early m/c with FET). If the last frostie does not implant and grow we are moving on to the Shady Grove program mentioned by the pp.

In terms of picking a donor, I started with a list of agencies that my clinic gave me and then obtained access to donors and when we found a donor we liked we went with that agency. My experience was that the agency was very responsive prior to us deciding to use them and sending the payment. After the communication was not as timely and it was a little work on my end and from the DE coordinator at the clinic to get everything submitted so the cycle could be initiated.

Best of luck to you! You will find lots of support on this board.
We are about to start our cycle with BIVF and are about to pick an agency. I would appreciate your feedback about the Boston agencies because we have had very prompt feedback from DonorSource and Northeast Assisted Fertility Group but I hope that continues after we pay them!