bear? steph679? betas, updates?

bear? steph679? betas, updates?

March 26th, 2011, 8:48 pm #1

thinking of you...

March 27th, 2011, 3:23 am #2

I had my third beta on Friday and it was 7761 so my next step will be to get an ultrasound. I havent quite decided if I want to do it next Friday or wait until the following Wed just in case there is no cardiac activity yet. How about you, Keifel? Are you scheduled for another beta and ultrasound anytime soon?

March 27th, 2011, 6:01 am #3

thinking of you...
Thanks, keifel, for thinking of me, I wish that I had better news.

It has been a tough week. I started to look into donor embryos this week feeling like I knew that it was going to be bfn. It seems to cost 6k, and they make you pay $200-300 for a "consultation" before you can even get on a waiting list which may take 6-12+ months. I am just so sick of that kind of milking every cent out of the infertile. Just to get on a very long list!

My RE's office did something so stupid this cycle, they submitted the charges for my FET to my insurance company (DH's employer is based in Massachusetts, so they have to cover some fertility), even though they obviously didn't pay for the fresh cycle and I am 43. This pissed off the insurance company, because apparently they aren't responsible for helping women over 42 years old, and so now they won't pay for ANY lab work, drugs, or u/s that they had been paying for consistently before. Obviously, this has cost me 100s and will cost 1000s of dollars if I continue. The clueless woman who did this explained "your policy said they covered fertility" as if insurance companies always do what they say they are going to do. She finally said "sorry," but so far has not offered to pay for my lab work.

Rant over. Thanks.

Keifel, I am so happy that you are having a much better March! Keep those updates coming.

Bear

March 27th, 2011, 10:36 am #4

I know that it has been tough, but I just believe things will get better. I will be thinking of you.

As for the RE's office, DUH?!?!?!?! I hate that happened to you. When dealing with money and coverage and the possibility for many people to move forward with IVF treatment, sorry really doesn't cut it. I am mad right along with you on that one. I also am quite disturbed that the insurance company is taking that position and not covering lab work which they had previously. Since the error was on the part of the RE's office, I would see if there was a different way that they could code your treatment, where you could get coverage. I don't feel it's lying. There are a million reasons why a person might get an ultrasound (looking at fibroids is a common one). I'm not sure about the blood work, since it seems pretty specific (checking estrogen and progesterone levels), but it's worth checking out.

Let us know how everything works out, and I hope you are on your way to your donor embryo dream very soon.

March 27th, 2011, 11:29 am #5

I had my third beta on Friday and it was 7761 so my next step will be to get an ultrasound. I havent quite decided if I want to do it next Friday or wait until the following Wed just in case there is no cardiac activity yet. How about you, Keifel? Are you scheduled for another beta and ultrasound anytime soon?
I bet that it's hard to wait for that ultrasound! What a strong number! I'm looking forward to hearing how many little beans took. You must be sooooo excited!

My next beta is on Monday. I'm a little anxious because the RE's office is concerned about the low numbers, even though they are doubling correctly. The thought is an ultrasound asap after beta (if it rises) to confirm pregnancy is actually located in the uterus. My 2ww turned into a 4ww plus some.

March 27th, 2011, 11:48 am #6

It has been a tough week. I started to look into donor embryos this week feeling like I knew that it was going to be bfn. It seems to cost 6k, and they make you pay $200-300 for a "consultation" before you can even get on a waiting list which may take 6-12+ months. I am just so sick of that kind of milking every cent out of the infertile. Just to get on a very long list!

My RE's office did something so stupid this cycle, they submitted the charges for my FET to my insurance company (DH's employer is based in Massachusetts, so they have to cover some fertility), even though they obviously didn't pay for the fresh cycle and I am 43. This pissed off the insurance company, because apparently they aren't responsible for helping women over 42 years old, and so now they won't pay for ANY lab work, drugs, or u/s that they had been paying for consistently before. Obviously, this has cost me 100s and will cost 1000s of dollars if I continue. The clueless woman who did this explained "your policy said they covered fertility" as if insurance companies always do what they say they are going to do. She finally said "sorry," but so far has not offered to pay for my lab work.

Rant over. Thanks.

Keifel, I am so happy that you are having a much better March! Keep those updates coming.

Bear
I am so very sorry that this didn't take. I'm so glad that you're looking into plan B or C or whatever you're on. Donor embryos is my next plan, too. The system is frustrating, too (and expensive). Have you checked out the miracles waiting web site?

I had a similar hideous insurance type thing happen to me years ago when I was still doing OE. It still makes me angry and sick and upset after all of these years. Some stupid person in the billing office of a clinic that I was looking into, submited all of my info to my insurance company to get "prior approval", even one FSH clomid test that came back higher which was an anomaly at the time... I was then precluded from any other coverage for ivf. I can't even talk about it now. That error cost me 10's of thousands of dollars of future coverage.

In any case, I guess because life comes full circle, or something... I am back with the same insurance company and while I have been very careful to remind my RE's office that submiting claims is not ok., maybe enough time has passed? All of my lab work and even a few meds (lupron) have been covered with just a co-pay. I haven't tried u/s coverage with RE, but they have covered hsg and such. Hopefully yours will too. Ideally you could change insurance.

Sorry to continue about the insurance thing... it obviously is a sore and expensive subject.

I'm anxious about my next beta on Monday, and then an ultrasound (if beta rises) during the week. The RE's office has put the fear of an ectopic in my mind do to the low numbers. I will post a beta update tomorrow evening.

Here's an extra ((bear hug)).

malibugirl662
malibugirl662

March 27th, 2011, 3:28 pm #7

Rant over. Thanks.

Bear
I'm so sorry Bear, for everything.

I'm in MA and 44. Getting insurance to pay for ANYTHING IF related has been impossible. New England Fertility in Reading wanted to submit every procedure - including those THEY KNEW WEREN'T going to be covered, which is bound create tension with the insurance companies. I told them not to do this.

My ob/gyn was able to get things like the saline u/s, ID & other b/w through insurance - I assume by not corrolating it with IF/DE workup.

I'm not working with NE Fertility in Reading anymore. I"m working with RSC Lexington, and they seem to know which procedures will be OOP and which will be covered. I think it makes for a less contentious relationship with your insurance company.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. People working in the field, dealing with insurance on a regular basis, should know better.

And I agree - they seem to suck us dry financially and put us on long waiting list with no definitive dates or outcomes.....

xoxo
Malibugirl662

March 27th, 2011, 9:32 pm #8

Rant over. Thanks.

Bear
I haven't gotten my beta yet but I think I'm in the same boat.

Gosh, I'm SO sorry about your insurance company!!!! Really, really sorry!!!

You don't have to but I wonder if you want to email when you're feeling better? We're going through a few similar things. Maybe we could compare notes--e.g., on donor embryos.
Last edited by arive on March 27th, 2011, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New2011
New2011

March 28th, 2011, 12:01 am #9

Rant over. Thanks.

Bear
So Sorry Bear.
I am so sorry about the insurance company as well. I didnt know they can change their mind on covering things they used to cover. Of course unless it is now coded differently when submitted. It is so upsetting.

March 28th, 2011, 2:21 am #10

Rant over. Thanks.

Bear
that you are having to go through this double whammy of a possible neg cycle and dealing with stupid insurance issues on top of everthing else.